2018 FIFA World Cup

Mbappe being tipped for the Ballon D’or is ridiculous. In fact, it’s a ridiculous award full stop.

Does it matter how you’ve performed all season long? The cynic in me says it doesn’t.

There is no doubt it hinged on the outcome of the final. Had Croatia won it, Modric would have won the award

2 Likes

Kane led the line well for England. He held up the ball for England, won a load of free kicks and scored the most goals in the tournament. England’s attack would have been non-existent without him.

I mean, even if that were true, there is absolutely no way he was one of the best 11 players in this tournament.

Thought he was decent v Tunisia. And I’d imagine most strikers would have a field day and stat pad against Panama. But yeah, after that, meh. His performances in the knockouts weren’t great IMO – hence why, I guess, the pundits/journalists were asking if he was 100 per cent fit because they couldn’t bear to suggest that their golden boy was being a little bit shit.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

Modric winning the Ballon D’or would be the best choice, even because no one expected Croatia to reach the final.

1 Like

Ronaldo will win it again

Id say you have to recognise that Kane played enough of a role and deserves some credit. Goals are what he was taken for and he done that up to the Sweden game.
He fell off performance wise against the swedes and dramatically against Croatia. I actually think he was one who didnt benefit by being rested against Belgium.
Bottom line there was nobody else who could of lead the line anyway. Hes a good striker but nowhere near the level some people in the game put him on.

De Bruyne?

1 Like

I thought he played well, not his best as at City’s, but still had some incisive passes (which if Lukaku didn’t have the touch of a donkey, could have led to goals) and was quick on the counter and had a screamer of a goal too.

Personally, don’t think he was as poor as some on here make him out to be and definitely not worse than a lot of other household names.

1 Like

Antics a side id have too say I thought Neymar was still amongst the very best at the World cup.

Fab as always

1 Like

De Bruyne was class throughout. Even against France he had his moments. Not sure how people are doubting his inclusion.

Courtois
Umtiti and Lucas Hernández and I don’t really know who the RB and other CB should be
Kantè, De Bruyne, Modric, Rakitic
Hazard Mbappé

1 Like

So err FIFA’s official team of the tournament is err interesting…

Trippier and Young get in the team but not Kane, the Golden Boot winner.
I bet he’s happy about that :grinning:

I wonder what will happen with the Mbappe/Neymar situation if they are both still at PSG next season. I could see things getting a bit nasty if Neymar is still there. Him and his dickhead pals will target him even more because his fragile little ego will not accept him being upstaged by a 19 year old world cup winner and a player that genuinely helped his country get there. He wasn’t just a passenger on the team good enough to win it deep down he will know he was a driving force of getting the team to win it…cant see it ending well.

2 Likes

Tbf Neymar is a good shout instead of Rakitic in my team, he was class in the games I watched. Ridiculous how much people focus on his ‘diving’ antics, when he’s the one proposing the positive football, and the ones constantly kicking him are the ones proposing the very opposite…yet he’s the bad guy.

1 Like

Agreed, Neymar was one of most positive player in this world cup.
If criticized for diving, should also be lauded for his positivity.

Ha, didn’t think about that.
Indeed part of Neymar will be annoyed that a kid came from behind & became a star in a successful world cup campaign.
Granted it is a team game, Neymar & his team mates should have done much better than what they achieved.

1 Like

Weird ass team.

Where’s Pogba, Kante, Pavard, Rakitic?

Young was decent, Neymar isn’t exactly deserving of a place either. And Griezmann? He was poor apart from pens and goals that were practically thrown in by the keeper.

Agreed. Was massive all tournament.

1 Like