AFCON

Agree with some of the assessments in here. Tournament is heavily disrespected and so are the players who want to represent.

Not sure I agree with it being tinged with racism but definitely wouldn’t have same calls for cancellation if it was a European tournament. Just the arrogance of Europeans at show

8 Likes

Take the point tbf. Think its exasperated because its mid season really. I think though people are ignorant of how big the tournament is for African players.
I also think a lot of fans in general though dont appreciate how much international football means too the individual.

6 Likes

Definitely exasperated because it’s mid season but also think some people don’t appreciate how hot it is in Africa in the summer. I’ve been in Morocco when it’s hit mid 40s before and got friends in west Africa right now complaining about the heat in some states and it’s December.

African players are extremely proud to represent their nations so I always resent the suggestion that they should drop out for the benefit of the club.

6 Likes

See right here. Ignorance on my part because I wouldnt know that on the weather. Tend too guess that they would be use too that.
Sweeping generalisations like this need to be corrected. i can now now bring this into any future discussions I have on this topic.
Should be brought into mainstream coverage on this by the press. You do tend to think all involved clubs, fans, press do wish it wasnt on though for mainly selfish reasons more so than any other IMO.

3 Likes

Thought this was a good read. Means the world to Pico and we’re all hugely proud to have an international like him with the hoops.

1 Like

Although I love these little nation stories is he actually good enough to represent Ireland instead?

Taking bias out of it, no way. Green and white tinted glasses on, absolutely!

Edit: I could see a situation where he got called up but like 8 players might have to be unavailable first.

2 Likes

Ok Cape Verde is his level then, seeing as a few of the Cape Verde players have English first names and Portuguese surnames I’m going to call him Robert O’Lopes from now on to remind him he is actually Irish :wink:

1 Like

Reminds me of this

3 Likes

Good on Wrighty for calling it out. Thought his point about Vieira being coach from that part of the world was on point too.

1 Like

The reason…

Pathetic from Watford if that’s the actual reason. Surely can’t be.

1 Like

Yeah if he isn’t going because Watford found a loophole and won’t allow it then it could get ugly. These guys love representing their country. It’s like what’s been said about AFCON in this thread already, it does get disrespected, but the African players are really proud of it.

2 Likes

Watford at it again

1 Like

Won’t shed any tears when they’re inevitably relegated

1 Like

So he could go but not for the group stage? What kind of shit agreement is that :joy:

2 Likes

Just checked the schedule and the QFs onwards coincides with the PL winter break - the jammy cunts

No Kanu!! :grin:

Man, Cameroon always had some unusual shirts, as for strikers, Eto’o wins this as far as i’m concerned.

1 Like

Click this tweet to get the gif loaded and find out who you get when you hit screenshot

I got Gabon :ooo: