Ainsley Maitland-Niles

Possible right wing back cover if Chamberlain goes and a starting berth for our 3rd / 4th round League Cup games before we get knocked again (see last year), don’t see much else from AMN particularly.

If he isn’t loaned then Europa League could be some decent ‘shop window’ minutes for him this season plus one or two others. Seems we’re being more proactive in offloading our talent early so the stick arounds like AMN aren’t necessarily in the right place

While Mertesacker is training to be academy head next season, we should give him the interim job of ‘Filler in of Maitland-Niles name where Wenger puts Coquelin’. Any time Wenger has the urge to use Coquelin, whether it’s putting him on the bench or in a XI, Mertesacker should be there to help him resist his strange, SM desires and fill Maitland-Niles name in instead.

2 Likes

Personally I think this kid is a nothing player.

2 Likes

Agile, always offers for the ball, good positionally, doesn’t go in stupidly, plays simple, sensible passes. There’s a lot to like with him as a defensive midfielder/destroyer alongside a more creative deep lying playmaker.

4 Likes

Since the loan spell under Mick McCarthy @ Ipswich I’ve liked Maitland-Niles. Mostly because of the attributes AC listed but at youth level he’s also both a capable destroyer & ball carrier. Whether that translates to senior level probably depends on how his physique develops over the next season or two but the potential to be a better footballing version of Coquelin is there imo.

1 Like

he looks class

Was poor at wing back. Impressive at CM though.

Him Elneny and Wilshere all played well as a trio

Never seen anything to suggest he’s going to make it here tbh. If anything tonight only cemented that believe further.

Very average and limited player.

Reposting this compilation from the u20 World Cup winning campaign this summer.

Maitland-Niles is good at football.

4 Likes

Agree. He gets the young player incentive where his sufficient performance is considered promising.

Elneny had similar or better performance who we all consider average.

AMN may make it but it will be down to intelligent application on field rather than down to him being massively skilled.

1 Like

Unlucky Ains lad. Did well regardless.

https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/xua32.mp4?token=1513453612-1tD4PUmT6GhgBRT6l54PO7KGYiFwq6N33UYe6VG48lQ%3D

5 Likes

Really like him. He is showing he is very versatile.

Changed my mind by his performance last week.
Did he perform well last night?

I like how unfazed he is.

Also his sideburns and tash combo is fantastic.

3 Likes

kid was cool tonight

Bags of potential.

Will have a hard time competing with Nketiah for central defense next season, but eventually I can see him replacing Cech.

8 Likes

Thought he did well tonight against the best player in the league.

Will go the same way as Gnabry, Iwobi, Ox, Walcott, Bellerin etc. though if Wenger stays so I’m not optimistic.

1 Like

Barely watched any of him before last night but he does have a composed front about him. Like he’s a seasoned top flight player.

1 Like

He’s good but not a left back.

Thanks Weng