Alex Iwobi

Not getting the ball in good positions, not having much influence, “disappearing” etc etc. is not the same as having a bad game though. And much of the criticism is at that level. Having a bad game, would probably be more a case of him just being sloppy and giving it away all the time. And even those things, shouldn’t be too separate from the team performance.

Iwobi is the only player in the squad who can do what he does. If you want to be able to drop him, then you should have similar and better options in the squad and not just these bullshit plan B options.

Okay that’s all well and good, but you can’t decide that he didn’t have a bad game simply because he is an advanced forward.

Yes he needs the ball to be passed to him but equally it’s his role to create space and allow opportunities to be fed. If he was unable to handle his marker and couldn’t implement his style or impose himself, then it’s a poor game.

Not like he is an off the ball runner who’s game depends on service.

I share your views on this in principle but seeing as the team has really gone off the boil in recent weeks, i’m happy to change it up and reintroduce Giroud back into the mix.

Everyone knows Ramsey is the Alpha Wengerboy of the moment, and well if that’s going to be the case and he’s in the team then playing Giroud at least heightens his effectiveness, i.e. a player more at home linking up with Giroud’s (generally excellent) hold up play and knockdowns, rather than making intelligent runs off Ozil/Sanchez passes.

I don’t want to base a team around Ramsey either, but if Cazorla is injured and there is a bizarre reluctance to utilise Xhaka at present, then with Ramsey in there i’d team him with Giroud up front and Sanchez back out wide.

1 Like

Good talent and people are being far too hard on him if you ask me. Young players have good games and bad games but this is why I don’t like to rush my assessment of them because you can never be sure where their career will go after such a limited amount of appearances.

1 Like

The most on our team, just saying.

Because you used to be just like him before you had your 180

15 Likes

Dunno what’s worse, scoring an own goal or getting a kiss from Gabriel.

6 Likes

Feel fucking sorry for Iwobi watching these clips again. Oh my days that is stress.

1 Like

Extraordinary patter here. Haha.

Do we have a coffee spit emoticon?

Was that satire?

Hopefully get’s his place back off Oxlade soon as he actually has a bit of football intelligence and we play better when he’s there.

Shame we didn’t keep Campbell. Rotating him and Iwobi all season would have been great and much better than seeing Oxlade messing up on our wing every time he plays.

7 Likes

Quality stuff.

The fact that there isn’t any messages on the Iwobi thread distresses me.

Gunnerblog mentioned it on his post-match… Iwobi is actually great.

Weird season so far, but a massive plus is his maturity - particularly recently. The Ox needs to take note.

1 Like

Has potential to be world class for us but then so did Oxlade

Love this guy, one of the best young players around.

2 Likes

He doesn’t get enough praise in the media probably because he chose Nigeria over England, but he is one of the best young talents we’ve produced in a long while.

Love his unique style of dribbling and his poise. Cleary has a football brain on him too. Sky is the limit for him IMO.

1 Like

Oh hay, hype trains up and running again!

He looks so much better and with a better end product than the Ox, tbf.