Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

@ronniec and @LordBendtner

obligatory reading for you lads:

https://statsbomb.com/2018/07/raheem-sterling-is-good-at-scoring-goals/

1 Like

Are you trying to ruin my entire day ffs ?

1 Like

I have said that, AC, teammates played a crucial role on his performance and stats.

Anyway, thanks for the research, and I would like to see how good he is going to perform for England in the future, when playing without superior teammates

Did they do that when he was a 19 yr old doing the business for Liverpool then, too? His penchant for getting in great positions, consistently, and at a high volume, has been shown since he broke through into the first team. Itā€™s not some fluke at City. But the more salient parts are the parts about finishing, because I think people like you need to rethink a bit your conception of what finishing is. Statsbomb says it better:

Sterlingā€™s reputation as being a bad shooter does make one thing crystal clear. When football fans think of players who are good shooters, they think of players who score unlikely goals, players who launch thirty-yard screamers, or incredible chips from tough angles. Everybody understands they donā€™t happen often, but good shooters, in the minds of many are players who might pull those memorable moments off at any time. When a player misses nine out of ten difficult shots, everybody remembers that tenth one that went in. Similarly, when Sterling makes nine out of ten easy shots, people remember the tenth one that didnā€™t.

Sterling simply doesnā€™t take the kinds of shots that he would need to to convince people he was a great shooter. His game is better for it. Getting, and converting, high quality opportunities is more important than occasionally putting one in from distance. Some players might need to balance their game with potshots in order to get the best opportunities. Sterling doesnā€™t. He shoots, and scores, from the best locations. He is a creative force around the box. He does it all without taking speculative efforts. What more could you ask?

1 Like

Heā€™s not a great finisher, itā€™s all good high volume scoring but when the chips are down and heā€™s presented with a chance that isnā€™t a sitter/tap in will be bury it?

The chance is exceedingly low, he is the guy that gets on the end of things rather than making his own shot.

Heā€™s grown under Pep but without that quality around him itā€™s easy to see why he falters in front of goal.

I didnā€™t say he was a great finisher; (being a great finisher is a pretty much defunct term anyways, with what we know about the marginal importance of finishing skill) I said he was a good goal scorer, which he obviously is, and that a comparison to Ox in terms of, well, anything (but especially goal scoring), was hilarious.

Sure in the sense that heā€™s a poacher, Iā€™m not knocking him but to call him a good goal scorer off the back of a single season is a bit much.

Letā€™s see him replicate it which he may very well do.

Itā€™s not just one season.

How so when prior to last season he hadnā€™t cracked double figures in a single PL season?

Heā€™s a winger. I think @Burgundy posted something before last season, when people were saying they wouldnā€™t take Sterling in a swap, which showed that he had the most goals of any U-23 player in Europe. His numbers for a wide forward at Liverpool at his age are exemplary.

This isnā€™t something new. Statsbomb have been raving about this skill of Sterlingā€™s for years, and pointing to the fact that he is underrated. Something similar happened here with Walcott, except Sterling is much better (because he affects the game extremely positively in the creative area too).

Even as a winger wouldnā€™t say he was a good goal scorer with those figures but OK.

Sterling is garbage nothing to discuss really.

This agenda of yours will never gain momentum.

3 Likes

yea whatever

Same. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lol howā€™s this opinion still looking LB? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol in his defence, he did say it in those long, glorious, warm days of last July- and Sterling was garbage then.

The little dickheadā€™s done well since then. Fair play :+1:

He wasnā€™t garbage in July though lol

1 Like

You just made the list

#jericho

2 Likes

He was brilliant all of 17/18 aswell. Was a ridiculous statement haha