Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

Got that injury same age as Higuain is now. Just goes to show older players can’t recover as well, we should show even more caution then :wink:

Falcao is a poor comparison tbh, but yeh no one is expecting us to drop 94 million Euro’s on him but we absolutely could if we wanted. I’m so fed up with the Arsenal are paupers campaign, we can’t afford to take the odd risk here and there that would lead to silverware because we’d end up relegated into the chaos of administration.

People need to start realize we’re much more of a financial powerhouse than Wenger and board make out.

1 Like

I believe that was either the second or third time Falcao had suffered the injury. ACL tears are possibly the worst injury football players can suffer and Falcao came back from an ACL tear to have his confidence battered by LVG. I think there was too much riding on the Falcao situation to make any sort of comparison to Higuain!

Fair enough @Castiel and @SRCJJ you both make valid points.

I definitely wouldn’t mind signing Higuain at the club, I just think Lacazette is a better idea in the long run and I don’t think we should just spunk a load of money for the sake of spunking a load of money. Some fans are just so desperate that they’re becoming a little myopic. We have money and we will spend it, as Ozil and Sanchez proves, but we just like to make sure they’re sensible, worthwhile purchases.

Spending a shit ton of money won’t win you trophies, Man Utd, Man City and Real Madrid have proven that.

There definitely is an air of desperation in spunking 60 plus million on Higuain but IMO we’re in a position where we should be desperate. Another season of Giroud is unimaginable for me and would certainly see Ozil out the door next summer.

Would you be happy to spend big money on someone a bit more marketable like Griezmann?

I would vastly prefer Griezmann, especially since he’s only 25 and would have no issue spending €90m on him.

He’s top dollar and doesn’t seem to be as massive a bottler as Higuain (disregarding the penalty miss in the CL final earlier this season).

Seems to be a stronger version of Walcott, and at his age is certainly not worth what they want for him…

I love Griezmann too but I think the bottler thing is a little harsh, especially when you consider Griezmann went out of a CL final and Euro final in his homenation within the space of a few weeks.

At this point I’d suck dick just to have a final to bottle so it doesn’t really bother me.

1 Like

There is a paucity of quality strikers available on the market these days. Yet here we have a 24 year old who has not been picking up by any of the big clubs looking for a new striker. His biggest suitors have been the likes of Newcastle and West Ham United. Why? Because he doesn’t have the correct qualities to be a success at a big club. His qualities are not what clubs look for in strikers right now. The price does not represent value for money and I don’t want us to sign Lacazette as I think he’s basically the opposite to Giroud in terms of what he does bring, but lacks everything that Giroud himself brings to the table.

I would rather pay double the money for Higuain because in Higuain we have a world class striker among the top 3 in the world.

1 Like

[quote=“SRCJJ, post:29, topic:184”]
has not been picking up by any of the big clubs looking for a new striker. His biggest suitors have been the likes of Newcastle and West Ham United. Why? Because he doesn’t have the correct qualities to be a success at a big club. His qualities are not what clubs look for in strikers
[/quote]The problem is that realistically we aren’t going to buy the best strikers out there, but we could afford the second tier, and Lacazette falls into that category.

Of all the strikers we have been linked with, I see this as the most likely to happen.

As good as Higuain is, Wenger won’t pay more than double what he could;d have had him for a few seasons ago.

I have the feeling that we’re not buying a ST until the saga of Pogba isn’t finished. Just the same kind of story that it was with Bale and Ozil.

2 Likes

In my opinion the Pogba saga isn’t influencing our transfer window…

4 Likes

Based on what?

Domino effect.

Perhaps I could believe that if we didn’t dither every fucking year.

So no this is just the regular scheduled programming for Arsenal.

2 Likes

In that case, Juventus would surely launch an offer to get him, as they would have the money to do it.
Meanwhile, for what it is worth:

1 Like

I think Lacazette is going to be our back up option if we can’t get a deal done for a better player…Lyon would be reluctant to sell to PSG, but the rumour today was that Chelski had made a bid for Cavani, which means PSG would then be in the market for a new striker…

I really hope Arsenal have a cunning plan for a world class striker, but even my optimistic viewpoint is being seriously tested at the moment - we only really have a week before the team goes to the USA so any deal needs to be done before or I reckon we will be looking around on deadline day again!

Our cunning plan is to sit around and hope someone falls in our lap at the last second.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but Ozil! remember Ozil and I think we done pretty well with Welbeck too IMO - Both of them deadline day deals