Arsenal Vs PSG (Champions League)

No, i can’t see us beating Basel away. You know we always lose the last game when we are already qualified.

I’d love to win the CL over a PL Title at the moment, I have to say. Screw domestic form for a season, go all out and prepare properly for these cup games that the CL has to offer and really see how far we can go.

A win here could do well for a lift in confidence, there’s some idle minds in our team at the moment that can benefit from a scalp like this.

Have a feeling Walcott will kick things off this week again, 2-1 Arsenal.

Not sure how important topping the group will end up being this season as things stand the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid & Juventus could all end up being 2nd and they would all toss us in the Round of 16.

1 Like

As I look at it, I think a 1-1 probably favors PSG.

We’ll have to beat Basel in Switzerland, but I don’t expect it to be easy, probably a one goal or at most two goal win at best. That means PSG will need to beat Ludogorets by 4-5 goals at home, knowing that they’ll have to score a lot. They’ll play an extremely offensive lineup from the start and I can see it happening. Ludogorets was awful at the Emirates.

1 Like

If we don’t beat PSG I would just play a rotated side against Basel. Very decent chance we won’t get the 3 pts with our strongest available side, and like you said, even if we do there’s a decent chance PSG goes 1st anyways. Would just play a very highly rotated side if we don’t win and see if we get lucky.

3 Likes

Agree. If its 0-0 against PSG then I guess I play a strong side against Basel because we will finish first in the group if we win (we would have the tiebreaker over PSG on away goals). But if its 1-1 against PSG I think I just rotate against Basel and definitely would if its 2-2 (then PSG would have the tiebreaker and we would only win the group if they fail to beat Ludogorets at home).

I can so easily imagine Wenger facing a situation in which we have almost no chance of winning the group (like after a 2-2 draw against PSG), still playing his strongest side in Basel, and then a key player getting hurt after playing three full matches in eight days.:facepalm:

1 Like

Another bore draw were we will hide behind the fact of the opposition being better than they are.
Sadly we are in another period like the start of the season of being dull as fuck to watch again.
Getting bigger sections of our seasons like this on Wengers watch now.

Thats why I think a Draw could well be the worst case scenario this game, a win obviously the best but if we lose at least we know the last game in Switzerland is a write off and nobody will be risked.

1 Like

-------------------Ospina-----------------
Carl------Kosh-------Mustafi----Nacho
--------------Coq--------Xhaka---------
Oxlade---------Özil----------Sanchez
------------------Giroud------------------

I’m going with the most in form team. While Giroud is scoring we should be playing him. Bench him when the goals dry up.

1 Like

I’d go with Ospina, Jenko, Mustafi, Kos, Gibbs, Coq, Granit, Theo, Ozil, Iwobi, Giroud. Alexis obviously isn’t 100% so Id prefer to have him on the bench in preparation for the Cherries. With the way the groups are shaping up it might not be much or any difference between 1st and 2nd also.

As much as I’d like us to rest Sanchez. We really need him for this game. We need to be full strength. With Santi and Hector already out, we can’t afford to rest Sanchez.

I would have rested Alexis Saturday AND Wednesday regardless of his protests !

I’d Gibbs as LB. Nacho has looked so off the pace this season.

1 Like

I’d start both Alexis and Giroud.

Can always bring on Ox or Iwobi second-half and move Alexis up top. Ideally we’d be in a position to take off Sanchez and keep Giroud on for 90 minutes.

3 Likes

The trouble with starting both Alexis and Giroud is we will have no viable options on the bench. If it isnt working we will be fucked. I’d go with…

Ospina
Jenkinson Mustafi Kosh Gibbs
Coq Xhaka
Walcott Ozil Iwobi
Alexis

Mate I wish we could have two of him as well :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

:joy: ffs need to decide whether to call him Alexis or Sanchez

Just go with Jugadorazo.

2 Likes

Giroud, Ozil and Walcott are too unbalanced to play against another top team who will play with Di Maria (vs Jenkinson), Cavani and Lucas or Jesè (vs Monreal).

Di Maria injured I think.

2 Likes