Arsenal's Best Possible Starting XI?

Cech
Mustafi Kos Nacho
Bellerin Jack Elneny/Xhaka Kolasinac
Iwobi Laca Welbeck

Ozil and Sanchez are obviously better players than Iwobi and Welbeck but the balance of the team has looked better with Iwobi and Welbeck starting, plus i think both Ozil and Sanchez will be gone in January anyway

Or even a flat 4-4-2 with Ozil and Wilshere as outside midfielders. Much like in the old days. With Lacazette, Welbeck and Sanchez we have three players who can play well in a two-striker system. But 4-4-2, in any form, seems like a ship sailed.

1 Like

Cech; Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal; BellerƬn, Ramsey, Xhaka, Kolasinac; Wilshere, SƠnchez, Lacazette.

In all fairness 4-4-2ā€™s natural enemy is any 3 man midfield formation. So while it may have died in the era of the 4-3-3 or the 4-2-3-1, it may see a come back one day.

Which would be grand since we know the old boy can indeed coach a half decent 4-4-2 side!

oh and yes very much agreed! Maybe Ozil on the left with Kolasinac bulldozing anyone thay gets close to him.

1 Like

It is, but thatā€™s how much the Xhaka signing has pissed people off

1 Like

Cech

Mustafi Kos Holding

Bellerin Xhaka Ramsey Sead

Welbeck Alexis

Lacazette

442 is just about nostalgia. no formation is inherently better than another.

Cech, Kos, Mustafi, Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Ozil, Alexis, Lacazette

I didnā€™t think we were ā€˜exposedā€™ in that system though. I remembered Wenger switched it up to give Fabregas more freedom, but in the end our defensive frailities outweighed him getting more freedom. Sadly Wenger persisted with it.

No formation is inherently better than the other, but itā€™s about what a manager can coach and with that make the most of the team.

Too predictable. I think we are better without one of our big name.

I disagree, as do many coaches and analysts. Formations have strengths and weaknesses that arent consistent among eachother.

a flat 4-4-2 for examples puts a huge strain on the two CMā€™s to constantly attack and defend, plot them against a 3 man mid and they often get over run, forcing one of the two strikers to drop deep to support, which in turn negates some attacking potency.

Not that formations are the be all and end all of tactics, and that is quite a general example, but an accurate one all the same.

Iā€™d go with that as well.
Strong defence with Monrea, Kos and Mustafi and the obvious three up front.
The only player Iā€™m not sure about is Ramsey but this season he seems to be in a bit of form.

Iā€™m far more sure of Ramsey than I am of Mustafi and Xhaka.

3 Likes

I think Mustafi is better than Holding, and more experienced, and with Xhaka there isnā€™t much between him and Elneny.
I am still one of the few that thinks Xhaka will make it good here but he had better start putting some good performances in because heā€™s far too inconsistent for a first team player.

Iā€™d take Ozil out for a while. Think we play better without him.

He hasnā€™t been playing that well and looks as if he doesnā€™t want to be here but an underperforming Ozil is always better than Walcott or Welbeck.

I would at least start him and then if itā€™s not working out then bring him off.

4 Likes

thatā€™s not what I meant. all formations have strengths and weaknesses. But people rave about 442 like itā€™s the very best out there, itā€™s not. itā€™s become outdated for a reason, like as you have said it can lead to being outnumbered in the midfield.

1 Like

---------------------Cech------------------
Bellerinā€”Koshā€”Mustafiā€”Nacho
---------Elneny--------Wilshere-------
---------------------Ɩzil---------------------
Miki-------------Auba-------------Laca

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Do it Wenger!! :wenger:

btw @BigWeng_4LYFE I canā€™t remember the last time you liked this many of my posts :joy::joy:

1 Like