Arsene Wenger XI

Truly astounded you’ve picked Keown ahead of Adams.

@shamrockgooner the one you’ve picked is spot on imo, barely hesitated in picking that side

He is a better footballer, clearly. But that doesn’t mean he’d be better suited to playing out on the right. Freddie was phenomenal out there and with Cesc, Pires, Bergkamp and Henry I think it makes sense to pick someone with Freddie’s attributes over Ozil, because the team already has bags of creativity.

3 Likes

I personally just like Keown compared to Adams is all. A lot more decorum about him and a brilliant defender for his time too. Back me.

I wouldn’t make a Wenger XL based on balance and how it would be in real life in the back of my mind tbh.

I wouldn’t do it just on talent. Each to their own :+1:

Shaaban
Senderos
luhzny
Eboue
Stepanovs
Djourou
Denilson
Sanogo
Inamoto
Garde
Chamakh

Subs
Cygan
Kallstrom ( on loan and injured ! )
Diawara
Aliadiere
Almunia

3 Likes

If you were going for balance I’d probably say:

Seaman
Lauren-Adams/Kos-Sol-Ca$hley
Arteta/Petit/Gilberto-Vieira
Özil-Bergkamp-Pires
Henry

if not it would be

Seaman
Lauren-Adams/Kos-Sol-Ca$hley
Cesc-Vieira
Özil-Bergkamp-Pires
Henry

Love Ljung but I don’t see how he gets in over Mesut. Even if going for balance I would construct other lineups including Cesc or even Santi before including Freddie, even in a like for like I think you can make a strong case Overmars > Freddie.

But I’m gonna stop now cause I love Freddie and I am coming off as a hater.

Arteta should never be in consideration for a Wenger XI.

8 Likes

Arteta lol. What a joker.

6 Likes

Nor as Wengers replacement

3 Likes

Given how many quality central mids Wenger had in his 1st decade it’s outrageous that @AbouCuellar has Arteta in the mix.

1 Like

I was putting a true 6 in there to go with Vieira for balance. It’s hard for me to choose between Petit, Gilberto, and Arteta, comparing different eras is difficult and I think they were a similar level at their peaks here.

Nice troll, bud.

1 Like