Arsène Wenger

But he has managed at the top level in different Leagues with some of Europes biggest clubs.

He is up there with the rest of Europe’s elite managers but others like Mountainous and Guardiola but they won’t be coming here.

You’re probably right that he might not be the right person to rebuild the club but I can’t think of many managers more capable getting us at least back in the CL places and maybe challenging for the title.

He would also have the respect of the supporters, media and players, which Wenger clearly hasn’t.

Look mate, the club is gonna say Wenger is the right man to pull us out from the mess he had put us in :wenger2:

This is alarmingly true. I don’t have the same zeal to follow Arsenal that I once had, and a terrible result no longer ruins my mood (like it fucking should).

It’s become that tedious and predictable that I don’t even get that upset any more. Sad state of affairs. The same formula repeats itself each year because of the manager we have, and nothing will change until the structure at the club is reset.

4 Likes

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say. But as soon as the team sheet came out…I really questioned whether we needed both Xhaka and Elneny? First half wasn’t bad if i’m being honest. We were tight all around.

But maaannnn, the second half. Fucking hell. I don’t know what Wenger was thinking. I’m not sure why Lacazette came off for Giroud and Iwobi for Ozil. It killed our entire flow.

What really upset me is that Wenger is trying to be a gentleman and appeasing all the players rather than just doing what needs to be done. That is to win.

Giroud has largley been pretty effective coming on as a sub so fine, i’ll give Wenger that. But fuck me. Ozil??? Hasn’t he been injured for a fair few weeks? Then you have Jack who has been pretty dynamic in nearly every other competition exception the premier league? How does he not get ahead of Ozil?

Complete farce from Wenger.

1 Like

Like I said last year, it’s become a chore to watch us. It feels like something I do out of duty now rather than enjoyment and I no longer become emotional. I’ve become so apathetic, I didn’t even get angry when we conceded the penalty or the second goal.

It really sucks because before I’d have fucking raged about the result on Saturday. Now I just chuckle and roll my eyes.

8 Likes

In the short term the answer is absolutely anybody. The club needs to figure itself out in the long term but right now we’re just in a depressing circle going nowhere and we won’t leave it until Wenger is gone.

Not the first ex player, probably won’t be the last.

21 Likes

Whatever players we have left by then will be in for a culture shock post-Wenger. :eyes:

That last sentence is exactly what most of us who watched him for years would say. I don’t know whether to be pleased or annoyed to have it confirmed by the player himself.

3 Likes

The tactics difference isn’t exactly a revelation. It’s been that way since '96.

It will also be a culture shock for what ever manager comes in.
We will be the only big club in Europe without a genuine world class player.
The overhaul needed to turn the mess Wenger has left us in, around, is going to be massive.

The longer he stays here, the more our very few decent players will leave, and the more we will fail to attract any top quality ones here.

If he signs yet another contract we could be going the same way as Liverpool did, and go down even further.

4 Likes

Yeah, expected. Wenger only tells the players to express themselves on the pitch. The opponent doesn’t matter.

People were very quick to praise the decision to keep Giroud, saying what a luxury he is to have…How many games has he changed for the better, how many games for the worse?

I think it’s pretty clear we’d be far better off with the £20m in the bank, the wages off our books (who knows if that might’ve even saved us the catastrophe which was not selling Alexis because we couldn’t manage to accommodate Lemar’s salary early enough in the window when he still seemed interested in a move), and without one of these typical players that tend to stick around here, depreciating in value, hurting us more than helping us because of Wenger’s compulsion to use him in inappropriate times.

The cult of Giroud really is a weird one, in my now 5 years on this website and thus clued in consistently to the opinions of Arsenal fans, I can’t think of a player more consistently over-praised and over-defended.

5 Likes

Fuck you Morris, hahahahaha…
I would take Bradley :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, not both… I would give Steve Bould a chance instead.

Aussie… everything expected… right?

Let’s wait until at least mid-season for us to be saying we were better off shipping him off,.

Not even a third of the season has passed, I get you don’t like him or whatever, however, he’s proven he’s a good asset to have. The problems with the team and club go much deeper than Giroud who to be frank is one of if not the best reserve striker in the league.

Wenger didn’t strengthen the midfield which has been lumbering ever since Santi has been out, he refuses to play the only other midfielder with any X factor we have which is Wilshere and of course the age old defensive issues are ever present.

It’s not Giroud’s fault he was made #1 for so many years and honestly we’ve had as good a return you can hope for considering his ability and fee paid.

1 Like

Not even

6 Likes

Interesting people still finds way to lambast Giroud despite him having no starts in the league with less than 180 mins played as a sub.

I’ve never agreed with the “supersub” role alot of people assigned to him. Not sure why people are still expecting wonders from with 20mins left with non existent match sharpness. He should be starting really

1 Like

With Welbeck possibly injured IRL, and Giroud and Alexis sold as per your wishes, who’s playing up front for us now?

Even if we could rely on Welbeck’s fitness, we can’t rely on him to score, I feel like we’d be very light up front

3 Likes

Best case scenario would have been selling him and buying someone much younger to play the role of understudy to Lacazette in my opinion.

Giroud will probably prove to be useful at some point this season, but I just don’t think we should be holding onto guys beyond their years of usefulness unless they’re exceptional and we need to be gambling on more young talent, particularly forwards.

3 Likes