Arsène Wenger

Arsenal United rivalry was strong at the time, wasn’t it?
Doubt they would have tried for Wenger at that time.

I had read reports of United considering Wenger post Ferguson’s actual retirement

Obviously you believe that. The other story doesn’t fit your narrative. Here are some quotes by Martin Edwards though:

Arsene Wenger turned down the opportunity to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager.

Sir Alex initially decided to leave his Old Trafford post at the end of the 2001/02 season.

And the club’s chairman at the time, Martin Edwards - now honorary life president - has revealed Wenger was his ‘first choice’ to replace the Scot and that he met the Arsenal manager several times.

“I have to say that his decision came as both a surprise and a shock to all of us," Edwards told GQ Magazine of Fergie’s decision to quit.

The Scot made a u-turn and eventually left his role after 27 glorious years in 2013. But before his change of heart Edwards was forced to look for a ereplacement.

"Once we realised that he was very serious about it and that his mind was made up, there were lots of discussions at board level about a possible replacement.

"Our first choice was Arsene Wenger. Since joining Arsenal in 1996, Wenger had been pretty successful, especially in his first full season in charge when he won the Double.

1 Like

My bad, I wasn’t around at the time so found it weird

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/988469467318489089

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/988470101828653056

1 Like

From what he has said since Friday it definitely seems as if he was pushed into the decision

1 Like

Like it should be.

5 Likes

I can understand him tbh. No one wants to leave a job they enjoy.

1 Like

Expect strong words from Wenga in the summer once he leaves.

1 Like

You’re going to have to wait for the autobiography.

Yep it looks that way, and good, finally our board act.

its a shame but in the future he will realise it was the right thing to happen

He wont mate.

I can’t fucking wait for that book.

1 Like

They’re about to show the wenger title winning years (obviously condensed) on monday night football after the break, if anyone’s interested

1 Like

Honigstein: "In Europe, they will remember Wenger’s legacy for changing English football, making it much more European, introducing a lot of European players to the English game, finding this hybrid between the pace and the brutality with the elegance and beauty.

“There was a time he could’ve walked into the Bayern job, but that time is long gone, because most of the interaction that European clubs and fans have had with Arsenal at Champions League level recently, you have to say his legacy has been tarnished through a succession of catastrophic defeats where a normal club would’ve fired this manager a long time ago.”

For @Trion so you can stop attacking @TheSpecialCnut personally based on little reason when he is stating facts that no major club will want Wenger as their manager (maybe as a DoF) in 2018. Honigstein is well-respected and has many contacts inside football, and is only one of those saying the same thing.

So here is some of the receipts you wanted.

You can accept them as true, or not but that’s up to you.

3 Likes

I don’t accept them as truth

I see no reason why Thomas Tuchel can be PSG’s manager and not Wenger.

All these opinions of Wenger not getting a top job are just opinions rather than facts.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/988470101828653056

Sigh…are you really this slow? Or is this another one of your troll attempts?

Found Trion on AFTV :slight_smile:

1 Like