Arsène Wenger

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Of course you don’t, you would seem to understand fuck all about football. This is just one thing on a long long list of things that seem to be lost on you as far as football is concerned.

Anyways that quote from Phillipe Auclair is sad. I knew this might be the case but that starry-eyed romantic in me really wanted to believe that Wenger, while not believing that he should have to leave, at least accepted on some level the board’s decision. But it seems he really is delusional–as you must be to be furious over such a decision–and that is really a sad thing for me to say about a man I once admired so much/ still admire in a way.

Just read your exchange above Trion with TSC and yeah, you clearly haven’t a clue how Wenger is regarded in Europe, Wenger, and in recent years, Arsenal, is not treated seriously in Spain, and to the majority of football fans here it’s actually unfathomable that he wasn’t fired a while ago. Basically as Honingstein said, at any other European club of similar stature similar results to Wenger’s would’ve seen him fired long, long ago.

2 Likes

Another guy with insider knowledge :joy: :joy:

I can’t take any person accusing me of not understanding football seriously if they once said Sanogo is better than Giroud.

Shut the fuck up and go watch Diaby videos

Haven’t been posting here for sometime now because I just didn’t have anything to say. This news of Wenger deciding to leave was perhaps the only Arsenal related event that could have made me want to visit OA to express my thoughts, so here goes.

Having had a few days now to digest this news, I am left with mixed emotions. I feel a great sense of relief that finally, after so many years of disappointments and humiliations, our club might just turn a corner. I am not expecting us to become title challengers over night but at least, our failures, whatever they maybe under the new manager, would be not be (hopefully) the same old ones that we have suffered season after season for the last few years.

I also feel a sense of excitement, which is perhaps the most profound emotion I feel. Excitement about the new possibilities at the club, excitement about who we appoint our next manager, excitement about players that Sven Mislintat and team bring in during the summer. Suddenly, there is a new wave of optimism I feel about the club.

Can’t deny there being a sense of sadness, even though, in the last few years, I have gone from being an AKB to a proper WOB, to someone who just didn’t care much anymore. Every Arsenal fan would have adored, admired, heck even worshipped Arsene for the first 10 years of his reign. Many of us supported him even during the next 3 - 4 years, right up to 2010 or 2012, considering the tight budget he was working with. It’s only in the last 5 - 6 years that many of the fans really started to turn on him. So 14 - 16 years of top quality management out of 22 years, is bloody good. Cannot forget that, nor can we thank him enough for that.

All his achievements aside, I think the true greatness of the man is the dignity and class he brought to the job and to our club. The man is a true gentleman and his greatest achievement will be the respect and admiration he has earned from his fellow managers and from the many players who owe their careers to him.

In the end, I wish him well for the future. While this is the end of an era, it’s also the start of something new at our club and as a fan, I am truly excited to see how things pan out.

7 Likes

You need to relax a bit. You seem incapable of actually engaging in debate with anyone at this stage. The truth is you come across as someone who doesn’t actually understand the sport as a whole.

Wenger is not highly regarded as a top manager anymore. He’s just highly regarded for what he accomplished 15 or so years ago. The Wenger is a top manager narrative died a long and painful death. I don’t know many football fans or have read through many forums where people still hold him in high regard.

But rather than resort to replying the way you’re replying either construct something worth reading or just take yourself away from the situation. It’s evident you don’t actually have a way to retort.

And for someone who hasn’t watched football for a long time you should humble yourself sometimes and actually listen to people who can tell you first hand how things were in a time period. You don’t have to take everything you hear as fact but trying to belittle people who clearly know and understand the game better than you just doesn’t really work if I’m being honest.

8 Likes

Oh look another member of panel of football experts.

What are your sources now?
Random guys you follow on Twitter?

He is not that wrong, tbh. Many players wouldn’t have been first choice at United or City.

Fine. Let’s see how this summer plays out. Chelsea and Barcelona might both have openings if he is still that highly regarded they will approach him, no?

Regarding the France job he has a head start because of his passport.

1 Like

France employed that joker Domenech for six years anyway, Wenger getting that job would say nothing about him still being regarded as a top manager.

3 Likes

Let’s seperate football insiders from ‘Football fans’, which encompases all manner of morons. I’d imagine many knowledgable people would consider getting top 4 on zero net spend while continuously losing your best players for about a decade a success. Our board considered it a success. Football fans on forums who don’t factor in the financial constraints at AFC are pretty redundant. Liverpool/Spurs aspired to be where we were while spending similar money. Wenger’s only had a relative stable transfer budget for 4 seasons but still spent less than United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool in that time. He’s dropped out of top 4 for 2 seasons, so in that sense he’s failed for 2 seasons.

Not to say his standing hasn’t dropped from where it was but he’s had plenty of job offers

PSG in 2016 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/12/arsene-wenger-confirms-he-turned-down-paris-saint-germain-and-in/

Monaco in 2014 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10821601/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-offered-Monaco-job.html

PSG in 2013 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10177521/Arsene-Wenger-to-snub-Paris-St-Germain-and-stay-at-Arsenal-following-positive-contract-talks.html

Real Madrid in 2009 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/18/arsene-wenger-real-madrid-arsenal-florentino-perez

And currently PSG want him as Director of Football or President by all accounts

2 Likes

Small details; in the Monaco article they are referring to the Sun for crying at loud and the Real Madrid approach has been in 2009…while most of us have argued how his reputation declined in the past 7 to 8 years… The other two articles are from Jeremy Wilson who seems to be fist deep in Wenger’s arse, but the 2013 and 2016 links fair enough.

International football is for crumbs anyways, if Wenger gets a job of some quality national team it wouldn’t shock me. If he got a gig at Real Madrid, Barcelona or Chelsea I’d be gobsmacked.

2 Likes

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day

Monaco Vice President Vadim Vasilyev said: 'For Monaco he is part of our history, part of our heritage.

‘He is doing an amazing job. I don’t know if one day he will want to come back, but we keep a very good relationship. Last time we exchanged was during the Emirates Cup. He keeps a strong affection for Monaco.’

Vasilyev added: ‘Our ambition is to be one of the clubs that plays regularly in the Champions League.’

Most managers don’t get top jobs after performing below par at their last job. They usually rebuild at a lower level

If Monaco lose Jardim he could maybe go there. Everton would probably prefer Wenger to Big Sam.

Thank you.
I just don’t have patience to elaborate so much anymore.

Fans from other leagues will only see Arsenal superficially much how we view clubs from other leagues as we are not invested in them.

Proper personnel who are professionally inclined towards the sport would acknowledge the handicap Wenger has been dealt with over the year and take that into consideration.

PSG, Monaco will surely give him a go if he decides to manage again.

I want him at Arsenal as a DoF too, just nowhere near to managing the football team. Speaks volumes if PSG, who apparently if you are to be trusted, have been after the guy for years and who are in dire need of a new manager, would only appoint him as a DoF or President. LOL.

Pointing to Madrid wanting him in 2009 doesn’t say much, he was still decent back then and also they signed Bernd Schuster in 2007 so yeah.

1 Like

These cartoons of Wengers 22 seasons are class :joy:

The cartoon version of Sir Chips Keswick is :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’d be interested to know if I am the only one here, but I have barely read a single article reacting to Wenger’s departure. I’m not sure why, maybe I’m just not ready to really take it all on board. But aside from a couple of articles reporting the fact he was leaving as the news broke, I’ve read nothing. Went out and specially bought the Guardian and its sat untouched on the coffee table.

:man_shrugging:

Exactly this, i feel that people that know football especially other managers and clubs love and respect the man and what he has done for football but that doesnt really mean that they feel he is at a top level anymore. If it was a business it would be like a salesman that brought in a lot of sales and got the company big orders to get the company great but hasnt moved on from his speil. They love him and respect him for all he has done growing the company but his refusal to get onto internet selling go on conferences use the latest tech like google ads and facebook ads is leaving the company behind so they may love him but time has moved on and he just doesnt cut it anymore.

Could he be useful to other companies yes, he can still sell, but for new age companies at the cutting edge nope they dont want or need him.

What TSC was talking about and I was confirming is the opposite of insider knowledge, but given the amazing lengths you’ll go to to try to find a riposte I suppose you know that. :wink: