Bernd Leno

That wouldn’t make him a Sven signing in my book. He may have accelerated the process but Auba was a known quantity to us and have actively chased before Sven arrived and before the guy who had final say on transfers left.

Torreira is a player who fits Emery’s CM profile exactly. I feel he was a signing where Emery had significant input compared to Sokratis who we were being linked with before the manager was even announced. It’s not inconceivable Emery had discussions with PSG staff in finding a suitable Motta replacement

The point is with Leno and Sokratis I get the sense Sven use his own initiative with these deals because of his knowledge of both players. He would have the best sense of their value which I feel he has overpriced particularly for Papa.

Mislintat is not immune to criticism, he occupies a very important position which comes with high standards. I’m glad the holes have been identified but that was the bare minimum you could ask of any club.

He needs to prove himself imo and doing bad business that could be avoided or ignoring are smarter solutions in your first summer is not the way to go about that. I’m actually not asking for a Dembele every window just smart frugal business

It all depends on the performance level of the players, I prefer to judge summer windows in May

Its hard not to be better then Cech. So there is that I guess.

1 Like

Think he was rated as the 10th best keeper in the Bundesliga, so yeah I’m not to excited my his impeding signature.

Hard to give Mislintat shit for these signings when a.) we haven’t signed them yet and b.) they haven’t even played for us yet.

2 Likes

MISLINFRAUD !

4 Likes

Still my favourite post of the summer :arteta: completely hilarious parody of our meltdown on that horrible Fellaini day.

3 Likes

He also signed Emery…

Remember that day clearly. Cristo was in fullblown meltdown :arteta:

Haha yeah err sure, parody sure right yeah haha

3 Likes

SVEN MISSINTAT

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD

1 Like

Unai just signed an extension to 2025. Deal with it !

1 Like

More for you to deal with, mate, cause I’ll be watching mi Atléti!! :raised_hands::facepunch::metal::vulcan_salute::v::wave::wave:

1 Like

Griezmann will be busy pursuing his reality TV career next season: “ keeping up with the Griezmanns”. No time for football im afraid.

5 Likes

And we’ll still be better than you wannabe Cholistas under Emery.

For some of us who follow European football Leno and Sokratis could be known quantities. That goes for people at the club too. Aubameyang is as much a part of his network as Sokratis is. If you fault him for Leno and Sokratis he deserves credit for Aubameyang. Again, you don’t think a (head) scout has better mapped out which players are where in regards to Torreira?

My expectations are low regarding the Mislintat and Emery combination. Contending for top four and Europa League victory. How they go about that is their problem; if it means overpaying for Leno and Sokratis that’s allright with me. I reckon they will not receive critique from me soon if they meet that. Anyone who hasn’t adjusted expectations since Emery is appointed is kidding themselves anyway btw.

1 Like

I am not really sure its an overpay, to be honest, the way transfer fees have gone. 20m euro for Sokratis is like paying 10m five years ago. My guess is that both Leno and Sokratis will also be on relatively cheap wages.

Despite what some supporters think, you can’t sign a world class player for every position of need. Obviously you will need to find some truly top talents if you want to compete with the best. But you also need to be at least decent in all positions and Sven/Emery inherited a team with some huge problem areas, including GK and CB. Simply finding solid players like Sokratis and perhaps Leno (I don’t know enough about him to really say) to take over those roles likely represents a significant improvement over the status quo.

3 Likes

If he cost like 5 euros or something, I would be like that.

The extreme opinions on him scares me.

Can’t be that bad if we weren’t the only club interested in him :xhaka:

This is the go to excuse for anybody trying to justify expensive fees. Yes the market has changed but the concept of value for money hasn’t. £16m for a 30 year old with one year left on his deal who was never elite, coming off a suspect season is not value.

Dortmund are going to use alot of that to fund Abdou Diallo, who is an interesting player with alot of upside.

4 Likes

Of course the concept of what constitutes value for money has changed, I can’t see how you can argue otherwise. Transfer fees in generally have risen hugely, and with that the definition of value for money has shifted too.

I’m not even talking about Sokratis specifically because as much as I’m willing to give it a chance, my initial feelings about it aren’t good.

1 Like