Best/favourite FA Cup win?

I’m going to say 2005 vs Man United, will never forget Fergie and Roy Keane bitching to each other just after the shootout.

2017 definitely. Massive underdogs and to put on such a top performance, against the champions. And with Mert coming in who hadn’t started in over 12 lightyears. Amazing, stellar. Only 2-1, but it could and should have been 4 or 5-1.

Favourite.

7 Likes

I initially was leaning towards 2014, as it was the first trophy I’d seen us win but on reflecton the mot overwhelming feeling after that final was one of relief, because that trophy drought had gone on for so long. Yesterday and continuing into today its been pure ecstacy, because that performance and result were so unexpected for me. I also watched it at a pub with a massive number of other fans which definitely amped up all the emotions. Denying Chelsea the double and breaking records, 26 top flight titles and FA cups, its a hell of an achievement for this club.

2 Likes

Tough one because all the wins in my time were so memorable for different reasons.

I think I’d give Newcastle in 98 the nod because it sealed the double which was just the most unfathomable success to me at the time. I was slightly too young to appreciate the titles in 89 and 91, and the intervening years hadn’t really seen us challenge, and so in 98 when Wenger took us to unseating United and the cup it really was dreamland and the final was just the icing on the cake.

Honourable mentions though to robbing United blind in 2005, when they battered us for 120 minutes and somehow we won on penalties, Hull in 2014 for the sheer emotion of ending the trophy drought and yesterday because we beat a brilliant team whilst in an injury crisis after a turbulent season and it was marvellous in every way.

1 Like

I’ve been to 7 of them and won them all :sunglasses: (yeah me, personally)

93 my favourite because it was my first
98 my favourite because it was my first time appreciating how great the Fa Cup is
02 my favourite because of the Ray Parlour goal
03 my favourite because Pires :heart_eyes:
05 my favourite because we stitched up the Mancs royally after all the times they had before
14 my favourite because of the comeback win and ending the barren years
15 my favourite because of Sanchez and the dominant performance

1 Like

For me the 1979 final against Man U was the most exciting, and it’s the only final not on the voting options.
We went 2-0 up with only a few minutes left, and they scored two goals to make it 2-2, then when it was looking like Man U would win, it Alan sunderland scored the winner.

1971 was a great final, against a great Liverpool team, and yesterday is up there as well because we beat a very good Chelsea team convincingly.

3 Likes

Charlie George lying on the Wembley turf… Was proper pissed off when we went 1 down…My ol man said dont worry youll still win… Boom…

1 Like

2005 is my favourite because it is the least deserved trophy in history. Daylight robbery. The anger felt by the Loncunians :sunglasses:

1 Like

Probably the least satisfying final win we have had.
Considering it was against Man U, it didn’t feel like a great occasion.

Saying that, it made up losing against Liverpool a few seasons earlier, where we out played them but they had some dodgy decisions go their way.

1 Like

Yeah I was actually only joking. That game almost killed me, I did not enjoy any of it.

My real favourite is 2002.

But trust you to pick the one that isn’t there :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Am I right in saying Charlie G’s goal was voted the greatest ever FA Cup goal celebration?

It really was a great final.
If you get a chance, look at the last few minutes.
We were 2-0 up with just over four minutes to go, and Man U scored two goals to equalise, then we scored to win it.

It doesn’t get much better than that, especially when it’s against Man U.
Have a look.

1 Like

Actually they spoke about this final on the Arsecast this week. Sounds pretty good.

Between 71 and 93 @Mysty was at the age where he started taking up golf, so that’s probably why he missed it out.

1 Like

Yesterday was beautiful , it was a magnificent victory and performance.
Personally I think the FA Cup is a wonderful trophy to win .
71 was special
79 was a real nail biter .
It’s a difficult question to answer but there’s no doubt, yesterday’s performance and victory was special, very special.

1 Like

Yesterdays was the best performance and 79 was special having lost it the year before.
Surprising to some though im choosing the villa game. It was a pure pleasure from 1 0 knowing we were going to win and just relax and enjoy a major final.

1 Like

Ah ffs, I can’t believe I missed 1979 out of the poll :facepalm: I’ll see if I can fix the poll without having to make a new one.

You could almost see the froth building in Fergies mouth

2 Likes

2014 for me. That was NEEDED.

I hate the poll system on this Forum. I can’t add the 1979 option in because the poll is made public and therefore it won’t allow me to add anymore options :xhaka: What a stupid system.

There’s well over 30 votes in this thread now, I’m not too keen on remaking the poll, unless people really want me to so.

2017 for me.

Beating Chelsea, the league champions? After years of them humiliating us? After the season we had with our entire back-line out injured? Yes please. We had no business winning yesterday but we totally dominated them.

2014 was also amazing just for the fact that we came back from 2-0 down and it had been 9 years.

4 Likes