Brain injury expert calls for ban on heading in football

I knew that big ol’ head of yours must’ve been good for something!

I took so many repeated blows to the head that the swelling never had a chance to heal and it kinda just became permanently bulbous.

Pokemon was a thing back then and the other kids called me Bulbousaur. Much like the swelling, the feeling of insecurity never went away.

2 Likes

imagine if this actually became a thing that you couldnt head a ball anymore…what the fuck do you do for corners etc would make the game that much more difficult. I could see a lot of stoppages also because players are so used to using their heads even for control and moving the ball forward i reckon the game would be looking so horrible to watch.

I think it has to be done. It’s already proven, the tragic effect heading a football can have (Jeff Astle)

If it has to be taken out of the game, do it. I can live with medically astute changes.

FIFA changing world cup formats and CL timings etc- that pisses me right off.

if it gets done the entire fucking game will have to be changed. If they do this what point is there for corners there will be no advantage. No controlling with the head as it will be against the rules but players are so used to doing it passing it with their head letting the ball bounce of their head to their feet etc. So what will happen we get stoppages each time and cards because players are so used to doing it…it will make the game utter shit.

This I don’t doubt.

However, have a read of Jeff Astle’s story and the campaign his family are running. It’s an eye opener

I dont agree, no more bullet headers no brilliant headed clearances no more useful corners no more headed control what the fuck will the game look like. Lets face it taking that away is almost half the fucking game.

Headers will never leave football

I’m not sure how more football and less headers would really make the game horrible to watch.

3 Likes

Removing heading would be racist

as i say, what would then be the point of corners, no head control no headed clearing for defending the game would be totally changed and it would almost look foreign to what we are used to. So does that mean new rules for corners…so that means more changes to the game more stupid rules etc.

There isn’t even any talk of removing heading from the general game, just from youth football.

You don’t need new rules for corners. Corners don’t exist solely to score headed goals.

no i know, but most times the usual is to load the box and try to score a header. Same with free kicks close to goal, there is not that much of an advantage to a corner if there is no point loading the box because even if you play the corner short if you cross the ball into a box loaded with defenders and you cant head it kinda defeats the purpose

:ramsey:

lol that was great but lets face it those goals are quite rare.

If we are having Boxing we can head a football surely.

Southgate wouldnt agree with you.

Whoa that’s big