Gooner Fanzine

Sad day altough into days climate of internet attention seekers it was on its last legs…Was a good read in its day along with Highbury High… Now we will just be left with AFCtv…

1 Like

used to read this a lot back in the day…but haven’t for years…shame but that’s the way of Fanzines nowadays

2 Likes

Haven’t bought or read this for some years but in the early phase of the pro/anti Wenger debate it was a good vehicle for opinion, in the days before Arsenal Fan TV.

Kevin’s articles were always worth reading, plus the Highbury Spy

I pulled the spy at QPR once for slagging off David Seaman…Then we all ended up singing Wonderwall, coz every goal that wrighty scores is blinding…

1 Like

Often end up buying 3 or 4 back copies on my rare visits over so it’s a definite part of the match day experience for me and definitely something I’ll miss when it’s gone.

“End of an era”

I saw this thread in the Arsenal section and immediately fired up Twitter expecting to see “Arsene Wenger” top trend.

:santi:

If you think we’ll only have one new thread when that happens you’re quite mistaken my friend. :slight_smile:

But good point, I shall edit the title somewhat.

2 Likes

I suspect on the day Wenger announces officially that he’s not signing a new deal, I’m guessing this site will crash within minutes and be down for half a day :smile:

The burden of being the most popular Arsenal website out there :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve probably got about a hundred issues of the gooner in my Arsenal crate up in the loft, as I got to about 11 or 12 years old it provided a cheaper and less bland antidote to the official programmes.

Never enjoyed the Highbury Spy, I thought he always came across as a bit full of himself and thought he was far funnier than he was. I thought the random insertion of “page 3 stunnahs” into his articles apropos of nothing was pretty seventies too.

As Robin says it was a good vehicle for opinion in the early days of Wenger In/Out but as time went on for me too many of the pieces were rabidly anti Wenger and disrespectful/hateful, in the same way that those thick wankers who run the “she wore a yellow ribbon” fb page behave.

I helped run that for awhile… Gave it up as it got very mind bendinly depressing esp that TN bloke…rant after rant. You can only take so much… AFCTV in print…

I did get to sell untold mugs through that page though… I’ve given up FB completely now, hate the place. .

1 Like

The Gooner has kept going longer than most and they are proper Arsenal people ,tis a shame !

1 Like

They were still bringing them round The George last season(mainly so the seller could get a drink)…Havent seen him in there for awhile now…

Used to buy this all the time way back when

Sad times indeed

Been getting this throughout the season. Always a good read so I’m signing up again. Be a shame to see it go.

Is this the same magazine that that glasses fella sells after a game?

I have no idea who you’re talking about. But yes. Probably.

2 Likes

Yes! :laughing: Know exactly who you mean, that guy has a lot of dedication

He also sells Gunflash and Highbury High if they’re still going

1 Like

“Getch yer Gooner mag!”