Football League

Looks like their finally gonna go up!

Chris Houghton has done a brilliant job at Brighton.

4 Likes

So happy for them. Rewarded after last year’s failure.

I’d go further than that, they’ve been trying for the last 5/6 years to get promotion and kept falling short in the playoffs. So they really deserve this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah good luck to them, never got to goto the dilapidated Withdean Stadium, but their new ground in Falmer is completely non-descript, horrible looking. They pack it out tho, good attendances.

Hopefully Huddersfield can now catch Newcastle, but looking fairly remote.

Not a fan of Rafa bringing the Toon Army back up Robin? Huddersfield kinda went off form at the wrong time and allowed Newcastle some breathing space.

God knows who will win the play offs. If it’s not a team from Yorkshire, I’ll be shocked :smiley:

Purely selfish reasons only, 'uddersfield would be another new ground and Newcastle is just too damn far away, albeit a great town and the Geordies are charming

Newcastle draw 1-1 with Leeds so Huddersfield still have a faint hope to catch them.

1 Like

Coventry City in League Two, that’s really weird :hushed:

1 Like

Yeah, they have ended up like Portsmouth.

Delighted for Brighton. I still remember the day they just about held on to the league status and here they are twenty years later on the verge of the PL. Great stuff.

By the last day of the season, after being 13 points adrift at one stage, they were off the bottom of the table and had to play the team directly below them, Hereford United — the game was in their hands. If Brighton won or drew, they would be safe. Brighton defender Kerry Mayo scored an own goal in the first half and it looked as though their 77-year league career was over. But a late goal from Robbie Reinelt saved the day, Brighton retained their league status on goal difference, and Hereford’s 25-year league run was instead over.

3 Likes

Brighton, Southampton and Bournemouth all in the Premier League from that South part of the Country.

Also worth pointing out that around about that time, they had to go play elsewhere, and there was no suitable replacement in the Brighton area, so for a while, they had to play their home games 70 miles away in Gillingham!

Love it when teams who were at the bottom of the League pyramid eventually make their way to the top after nearly dropping out. Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth immediately spring to mind.

1 Like

Remember their old stadium. Was such a small one :smiley:

Three south coast derbies to look forward to next season :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Is it really a derby when they’re so far apart though? Brighton are closer to us than they are to Bournemouth!

But will still be good having them all in the PL. Especially Brighton - a good day (and night) out, that.

1 Like

Deliberate sarcasm sorry :laughing: Footballing bug bear of mine ever since I realised the media will goto any lengths possible to talk up a match between any two given teams

Like the south coast “derby” between Portsmouth and Plymouth yesterday.

Ah yes, the naval derby. Military vs commercial ports. Massive day in the calendar for both sides

Do Brighton even have a rival? I don’t even know who their nearest half decent team is, Palace? Crawley Town? :grin:

ye its palace. Bit of an obscure rivalry but great going out in brighton after palace beat them.

1 Like