Francis Coquelin

Did well for us for a while, played out of skin especially agaisnt Man City. Many of our fanbase as per usual thought he was the answer to our prayers in the center midfield. But gradually got found out to be only a solid player who was out of his debt in the PL. He had the heart but just didn’t have the skill sadly.

How sad it is, we are missing Coq.

Will we miss Dick if we have a shit successor?

2 Likes

What do you mean will we?

Dick Law > three fids

1 Like

Coq was good, maybe just not for very long or more than a season or what it was, but he was good when he had that period of goodness.

1 Like

You know I meant Dick Emery :joy:

1 Like

Now sure how this is a actually telling something about his quality though… Valencia is, of course relative to their competition, comparable with Arsenal in stature etc.

Wenger tried to replace him with a player who is even worse.

If you take a quick look at the rest of the post you quoted, you’ll see I literally cover the relative side of things; “He’s a high level pro footballer, so of course he can do amazing shit in videos lol he’s way better than any average person.

So yeah, he’s playing his prime years as an average midfielder for a club in a similar position to us. It’s completely telling of his relative quality lol

A manager making a bad decision (or not) is pretty irrelevant to what I was saying.

I should have said that differently I guess. The fact that he established himself at a club like Valencia, and not Real Valladolid, shows that he kind of is an above average player.

I think we’re down to semantics now lol I think he’s average in terms of what a team with ambition to win the PL would need.

If we are debating between Valencia and Real Valladolid being the relative standard, then we aren’t that far away haha

Maybe I read the last sentence of the post I reacted to in a wrong way, but it read like you kind of tried to underline his averageness with the fact that he established himself at Valencia? Whilst if that were the case (Coquelin = average) he probably would have ended up at a smaller, more insignificant club. Hence the comparison. The point being that Coquelin isn’t as bad as you’re claiming.

1 Like

My comment regarding Valencia was in the context of the entire post. What I was intending to say was that it shows roughly his ceiling and it’s not like he has gone on to be world class since leaving us; he is a decent player for a pretty good team.

It’s not to disrespect Valencia and I’m not keen on creating an additional argument around what is average and what is not.

However, I personally consider Valencia to be a club that is not the top in their league (clearly below the best), sometimes makes CL and might win a cup. That’s where they are right now, same as us in a lot of respects.

So if Coquelin ends up playing his prime years as a decent player for them (it’s not like he’s their main guy or best player at the club), then I think it’s roughly reflective of what he showed with us; he is decent but won’t set the world alight.

This doesn’t account for the fact that he played better for us than he did for Valencia. Played better in his breakout season than he ever managed later, getting Kante type numbers with his ball winning all over the pitch. And the fact his performances gradually deteriated. But at his best we were able to go away to Man City and beat them while we soaked up much of their pressure partly due to Coquelin winning the ball back time and again. No one we have at the club today could carry out that role, Toreira included imo.

That and the fact he was the perfect athletic foil for a creative yet slow DLP like Santi. He also has the kind of energy someone like Klopp would fully utilise.

1 Like

I really wanna know the wages. :rofl:

3 Likes

Can’t believe Al Sadd will have a better midfield than us

14 Likes

With one of the best midfielders to ever play the game as manager

2 Likes

Next up: Mesut Ozil

Yes please also a transfer fee over £1 would be great too

2 Likes

I remember actually have to debate with people who thought Coquelin was better than Kante lmao.

1 Like

Love Coquelin to bits but that’s absurd. :joy:

I just put “better than Kante” into the search panel of this thread and my god.

:raised_hands: 2016 OA :raised_hands:

4 Likes