Is Alli one if the best young players in the world?

Ha. And poor Alex Iwobi. It’s like we’re all having a party in his house while he is locked outside :grin:

1 Like

For what it’s worth I’d bet that I’d you looked at these sort of lists over the years the players listed 25 will have gone on to be better than most of the top 10 or whatever, they really don’t mean much

Why? Question the validity of such lists by all means but I don’t think I see any reason to think that the players towards the bottom of these lists consistently prove to be better than those at the top.

Whilst not explicitly stated, I feel the clear implication here is that goalscoring ‘midfielders’ like Alli aren’t rare. Frankly my knowledge is most likely lacking, so I don’t mean this question to seem like a “gotcha!”, but who else of a similar age is posting goal scoring numbers like Alli?

I actually agree to a certain extent. Alli plays more of a support striker rather than a midfielder. But he is more than capable of playing deeper if required.

I just ment to that theirs as much chance that the player listed 25th would go on to be better than the player listed 9th and then the player listed 9th could also go on to be better than the players listed 1-3 or whatever not that as a rule the player listed 25th will do better than the top rated ignore that makes makes sense

How many are getting a similar amount of starts? If alli played for a bigger club than thotenham chances are he wouldn’t be have had as many minutes as he has had over the past few years

Put any of the top ten in that list in spurs first team for the passed few years and chances are they would have similar or better numbers no?

I haven’t seen anything that impressive from him played deeper, closer to goal is what plays to his strengths.

He’s going to have to improve a great deal if he wants to play for a top club because they won’t be playing him as a #10 and as a CM he doesn’t have the all round game at the moment.

He’s young so time will tell.

2 Likes

I wondered what the fuck happened to Iwobi to merit 57 new posts. I should have guessed it was another off topic debate which meant nothing to the thread title :neutral_face:

Getting a bit sick of it tbh

1 Like

Weird

The site has always been full of off topic discussions to be honest. Part of it’s charm for me. :slight_smile:

But yea I think 50 odd posts is probably the point to either leave it be or start a new thread for the topic at hand. :slight_smile:

Unless it viers into repetitiveness or name calling is it not much better for people to be able to discuss whatever they want than for a new thread to be made every time a discussion goes off topic?

I didnt say we should have a new thread after every off topic discussion. As I did say, it’s 50 posts later so maybe that’s a good time to think about it.

This comes across as a rebuttal to an argument I’ve made, but I really was just asking a question rather than coming at it from one standpoint on either side of the argument.

I was genuinely just asking if there are many other young attacking midfielders scoring similar amounts to Alli, because AC seemed to be saying that it isn’t that rare a thing compared to a different archetype.

Edit: Sham has a point, I wasn’t aware that it was quite so many off topic posts now in this thread. Its hard to call but there does come a point where things go a bit too far

Yes.

1 Like

It wasn’t a rebuttal more just pointing out that allis numbers in comparison to the others on the list will probably be better due to the amounts of minutes he gets at spurs and not due to him being a better player

Definitely one of the best young players around, but reading @AbouCuellar’s post was really good. I didn’t think about it before but I actually want something different from my midfielders. Sure scoring goals is key (obviously) but spurs could probably do with someone who controls the game. They have plenty of goals in them, and Iniestaesque and Xavi showed you need much more than goals to be a complete midfielder. Although to be fair he seems pretty good at creating chances.

Also, good idea whichever mod split the thread. Much prefer when discussions like these get their own thread so the topic can be discussed in much more detail!

1 Like

Surely the most effective 9/10 played for you guys, and you’re saying Alli and Kane should be in a similar conversation? Come on now, they’re very good but even within five places of Henry/bergkamp? (Even though Henry wasn’t really an out and out number 9 he was your main goal scorer year after year).

1 Like

Next few years will be key in his development as it may well be that if he’s not scoring he’s not impacting the game a la Walcott.

Right now that seems to be where he’s at.

1 Like

What is this thread? Am I in gloryglory?

2 Likes

For real, could at least have just moved it to the deli alli thread or just called it deli alli if their isn’t one