Jack Wilshere

AS Roma were ready to sign him, according to Sky Italy. The deal was ready to be completed but Cherries have improved their offer, better than AS Roma, AC Milan and Palace.

Haha. Money. Of course. Never mind what the best move for the player would be. :wink:

But, It’s done. Just really hoping for him to get an extended run of games without incident.

Weird move. But he doesn’t want to take any risk. He would have failed in Italy.

Playing in Portugal isn’t a step up on Bournemouth.

2 Likes

Haha I love football

2 Likes

Sorry I just don’t buy any of this. What Jack needs is to stay, prove his quality and show he has the fitness to play an extended run of games at Arsenal.

Hardly a win win when we’re losing a such a talented midfielder. What left for us in CM? Santi? the guy is nearly 32, there are valid question marks over his fitness and his physical condition over a entire season. Let’s not forget it was his injury that derailed us last season, it more important now that ever we manage him properly with effective rotation. The options we have don’t fill me with confidence at all

Elneny? Average player, rotation option tbh

Ramsey? Just not good enough in CM, he’s at the bottom of the pecking order imo. Utility player

I rate a fit Wilshere ahead of Ramsey and Elneny they just don’t come close to him in terms of CM quality. We’d be better off waiting till January after the CL group stage and majority of the league cup is over. Then seeing where we’re at with him

Operating under the assumption Xhaka and Wilshere were going to play together, but I think the signing of Xhaka is the reason of his ‘demise’. Because both are essentially left-footed playmakers. Xhaka maybe less offensive minded than Wilshere, but still. Coquelin and Elneny offer other qualities than Wilshere would.

1 Like

I never got this two left footers thing tbh. Can only go off what we’ve seen with Xhaka role being DLP. Jack is hybrid B2B/attacking midfielder I don’t see how’d they’d interfere with each other.

Not even sure why Coq is being mentioned the guy is performing the same function within the team as MatFlam.

The midfield looks alot more focused on control and facilitation you to be at a certain technical level to offer that, Coquelin and Elneny don’t come close. But the general idea is to have a midfield full of variety so we can keep things fresh through competition, rotation and tactical pluralism.

1 Like

Hopefully he contributes to Bournemouth nicking a few points off our rivals

Honestly I don’t think we’d really be in a better position to loan him out by then as the options aren’t going to get any better and sending him mid-season to a relegation candidate or bottom table club just so he’d feel settled with 2-3 months left of the season is also hardly worth the effort.

I think Jack played his best games from deep. Sure he has had some nice moments in and around the opposition box, but I feel like he just lacks something and just isn’t refined enough to be truly effective in the final third as an attacking midfielder.

I don’t know if true, but that would be the most logical explanation imo. Apart from the known fitness issues.

He’s clearly not in Wenger’s thinking as he is though i.e. without the run of games and despite Santi’s age he’s been very durable for us I wouldn’t question his fitness really.

I too rate Wilshere ahead of Elneny, Coq but the simple fact is they aren’t really his competition. Santi, Xhaka and to a lesser extent Ramsey are despite what you think of him. Wilshere simply won’t be playing right now and isn’t figured in Wenger’s thinking so what’s the point him sitting there collecting dust when he could be playing somewhere else? Wilshere is soon to be 25 he needs to be playing regular football which is simply not on the horizon here right now whether some like it or not.

A Ramsey/Xhaka pivot may not be anywhere as bad as some would think as Xhaka is essentially an all round midfielder and so Ramsey wouldn’t be required to dictate or control. Xhaka is the one that may ultimately spell the end of Wilshere IMO.

What some aren’t getting is that this is make or break for Jack now they want to know if he can hack it period and if not he’ll be let go.

1 Like

Jack is back with his best friend again, Benik Afobe

Is this based on his performances for England?

Both.

https://twitter.com/7amkickoff/status/771057128001802241

Definitely a shame, despite his fitness issues and minutes being important, developing & learning are equally as important at this stage of his career. I don’t really have an opinion on Howe, maybe he’s a good coach and will help Wilshere more than just providing minutes, but Roma was a great opportunity imo.

4 Likes

Well they should have agreed to the terms arsenal set. Bit embarrassing for them if Bournemouth can accept them but they can’t.

I think he should of went abroad, if hes good enough he would get game time and learn as well. Milan have a history of creating some of the finest Midfield playmakers in the history of the game, Roma have De Rossi who could of also taught Wilshire a thing or two. Plus the Italian teams put a lot of emphasis on the defensive side of the game and this would of definitely helped Wilshire out who really does push up a lot, We require our cms to drop back and help out and i feel this would of benefited Jack the most.

Among the offers he got, I would’ve prefered if he went abroad, prove himself in a different league, learn stuff that he normally wouldn’t in the PL, he’d certainly get more game time with Bournemouth, which is the main reason he asked to get loaned out in the first place,

1 Like