Mario Götze

I also think he seems overrated. He did do well at Dortmund though didn’t he? So either that was a fluke, or he is the type of player that only works in a specific system (where he can get past grandmas for unknown reasons). I would be sceptical of him coming here, that he could work in our system, but I guess this is half a question since I didn’t watch him much in Dortmund, did you? If so, what was his thing there that made it work/do you think it would work here?

Trion working hard for that “banned” badge.

I wonder now that he has completed his move back to his former club if that dislodges any other players…

I’m not so sure Dortmund’s football is going to significantly differ from Bayern. Under Klopp, when Götze was still there, they had around 51-53% possession and scored a lot of their goals from transitional play. Last season they had 61% possession, that’s 4th in Europe behind Bayern, PSG and Barca and well ahead of anything in the PL, for example. Since Götze’s lack of pace basically requires him to beat players in give-and-go situations with his teammates, I’m curious to see how that will pen out against teams that basically park the bus (which will be the majority of German teams playing Dortmund). I think he might shine for Dortmund (as one of the few clubs) if he is given the central role, because the guys that will be making runs (Dembele, Reus, Auba) are exceptionally good at it. This might give him the space he needs.

1 Like

Rumor on ESPN (in the US) that Arsenal are supposedly interested in Gotze.

Sounds like garbage to me or at least it sounds like reporters assuming we’ll continue to raid BVB.

He’s completely done as a top level football player.

3 Likes

We building the best team 2015 has ever seen.

3 Likes

Definitely bullshit.

In what world do we need Gotze when we have Ozil, Mkhi and to a lesser extent Iwobi?

Feel like he’s more likely to go to MLS than to Arsenal.

Just learned he ended up at PSV?
Didn’t hear a thing about this before lol.

2 Likes

And he is doing quite well for PSV.

It’s actually unreal how he ended up there. From WC winner and scoring in the WC final to a new career at PSV.

How no other club came for him?

3 Likes

Well, He averages 20 appearances across last 7 seasons.

Although I don’t rate him, I feel bad for him.

Not a good move to Bayern in the beginning. His decline (also injury) started there.
Looked like a dream move, but not a place for everyone.