Mesut Özil

win

1 Like

Now all you need to know is how to use an Umlaut.

2 Likes

I’m calling BS until it actually happens, which it won’t

1 Like

It was supposedly April when we offered him 250k a week. I’d be very interested to know what changed so that a whole 9 months later he was considering signing it when we’ve got no better and he was 3 months away from talking to any club.

1 Like

Need to build the team around him. Stop buying crap average players, just good ones.

I just don’t think he’s interested in signing a new deal unfortunately. There’s no reason we’ve reached the final 6 months of his contract and he hasn’t signed. We’ve basically been negotiating for near enough 2 years now. Ozil will leave in the summer and probably collect more money and a nice healthy signing bonus from another top club.

1 Like

Maybe he wants to see if we can finally buy good players and build a competitive team.

I really don’t buy into the whole footballing reasons things. I think ultimately if we slapped down a 300k+ a week contract on the table he’d sign it no problems. And now he’s seen the mega money Sanchez left for, the huge money Pogba is on and Zlatan was on last year and he probably wants his slice of the pie too.

Love him but at the end of the day he’s not an Arsenal fan he’s a professional German footballer who himself is only due one last huge contract. So he’s going to want a big 4 year deal on huge money and I don’t think that’s something our club are necessarily keen to give him given our huge but restrictive wage budget.

1 Like

Maybe he doesn’t want to sign a big contract and play in a crap team.

I just don’t think we’re offering him a big contract (comparative to some of the deals floating around now)

Well, probably. Still hope signing Miki and Suba convince him to stay though.

I don’t think Aubameyang or Mkhitayran are enough to persuade him to stay.
But Johnny Evans, now we’re talking :wink:

I personally believe the stories about Özil now being more likely to stay, whether that’s a shift back in our favour or whether he never actually actively wanted out like Sanchez.

He’s clearly much more part of the furniture here than Sanchez ever was and the money is still going to leave him as our highest paid player and among the top 8 highest paid in the league. You can still be obscenely rich without earning Sanchez’ money.

Anyway, United will think twice about his cost once de Gea and Pogba start agitating for wage parity, Sanchez will have a short term positive effect but I really foresee longer term squad issues with the money he’s on.

Would be ironic tho if we end up losing Sanchez to a Mourinho team and Özil to a Guardiola team

2 Likes

I think Man U need him more than Man City.
Guardiola is looking for a world class striker and there are already rumours of him going for Griezman with Aguero going the other way.
Man U lack a player like Ozil, who’s vision and skill is something they are desperate for.

If we get Aubameyang and get a CL place, it’s possible he could stay.
But realistically a player of his ability, and at his peak, should be looking at one of the elite clubs who will pay him what he is worth and offer a lot more chance of winning trophies.

If the benchmark is now set by that Sanchez wage and all the top players now start turning down anything south of 400-500k a week then the football bubble just expanded again

4 Likes

That’s what it boils down to, are we offering him the most. I think he might be significantly in less demand than Alexis though. Big teams will want him but not as a top earner, which is what he’s looking for.

1 Like

Alexis could demand that, I’m not sure Ozil can

Makes me sick… l hate what top level football has become.

The sport has been hijacked by money

3 Likes

I’m with Luca, I think he rather wants us to upgrade the squad and put in an effort to try and get back into the CL for example. I don’t think he gives a f whether we offer him £200k or £300k, as long as it is a respectable figure.

We’ll reach a level sooner rather than later when even United, Real, City etc. can’t afford to play most of their starting players £400-£500k per week.

Just isn’t realistic.