New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

poor planning etc will make this a major fuck up. With petrol you just fill up and go. what are you meant to do when 100s of cars need charging all at the same time. More to the point it causes a fuck tonne more money and pollution to create the batteries in these cars in the first place they dont last more than a few years in general and the recycling of them are a bastard as well, so have they factored this in also? So what happens when someone buys a sports car, all of a sudden they are worthless? It seems like buttkissing to the green parties etc but in reality i doubt it will ever happen.

Have hundreds of charging points at service areas. Every parking spot becomes a charging spot. Simple.

But yes creation and disposal of batteries
that’s an interesting debate about the true costs and benefits of that over petrol/diesel.

1 Like

Well. Take the f*cking bike and public transportation in the mean time :wink:.

Not having the infrastructure ready precisely in 2040 isn’t a reason not to put a ban in place.

1 Like

Make sense, most studies predict that by 2030 electrical car will be cheaper than regular cars and also that by that time most energy will produce either by renewable and/or Gen IV nuclear reactors. Though it’s also predicted that automatization could take over many, many jobs.

Could? It’s already happening.

Some hybrid’s are already able to produce their own electricity. This tech is only going to get better.

Main problems here are still the ÂŁ20k+ cost (even leasing the battery is a big cost), the lack of home charging practicality for urban flat dwellers with onstreet parking etc, and the ongoing questions about mileage.

I have to drive differing amounts of mileage each week in my job, some far exceeding a BEV. The plug-in hybrids seem the best bridge technology to me.

Life cycle questions about lithium mining and disposal are valid as well, even if you’re driving around with 0% emissions

Even if those are genuine problems isn’t it still an improvement on using petrol?

I think it is personally, but this massive switch over to a cleaner tech is going to come at a short term environmental cost of disposal.

Also will it be enough to offset the flood of CE cars into the developing world market as petroleum dies its slow death over many decades?

[quote=“SDGooner, post:28, topic:1643”]
Even if those are genuine problems isn’t it still an improvement on using petrol?
[/quote]There’s been many reports that the effect of all the mining to make the batteries does more long term damage than a petrol car

That’s the biggest problem really Electric cars need to cure in the long term. it’s an expensive, time consuming and wasteful process, even if the end result produces a clean efficent car.

problem is that lithium is also very volatile and highly toxic
when the barries die, it costs a fuck tonne to mine it (probably mined with fossil fueled equipment anyway and then how to do you recycle the stuff, that stuff is nasty and dangerous and probably costs a small fortune to do properly. The last thing you want is some fucktard landfilling with this stuff or flytipping it is deadly!

We may not even use lithium in twenty years.

2 Likes

Can we all have these please?. :giroud3:

So Dyson and Toyota are both investing heavily into Solid State Batteries.

We probably won’t even be using lithium ion batteries in 10 years as solid state batteries have a longer life time and are less toxic. Right now the key barrier is cost but that is because it’s a new technology and they’re still working on optimising it.

Petrol and diesel will go the way of the dodo in the western world. Now, the developing world is something else
 All of the nice, new shiny petrol cars being sold right now and over the next few years will likely need a new home when their owners decide to upgrade to an electric car and I could see there being a massive market in south America, Africa and the sub-continent/SE Asia for semi-new (slightly) used and cleaner CE cars at a significant discount price. Those parts of the world won’t advance as quickly as the west so they’ll still be on the CE for a while.

Sadly Africa is the dumping ground for lots of antiquated and sometimes toxic technology, see fridges containing CFCs etc.

This popped up on my news feed recently. It seems incredibly short sighted in terms of number of charging bays. I’ve been to garages, in Ireland, with more pumps than they are suggesting there will be charging points in these places.

Energy company Gridserve has announced ambitious plans to build 100 rapid-charging stations in the UK, each offering up to 24 charging bays with speeds as high as 500kW.

The more they build, the better.

1 Like

This is the kne thing that still makes the whole electric cars a failiure, is the lack of infrastructure to support it so this is a good step.

Norway, the leader in electric car sales in the world per capita. Charging stations everywhere, garages, shopping malls, multistory car parks, work addresses, special driving lĂ„n priveliges, even out in the sticks, then there’s the lower taxes and heavily discounted buying prices of new electric cars. It just works.
The entire postal network is run on electric vehicles

3 Likes

Good. Hate diesels with a passion. The morning cacophony of clattering tractor noises in my road offends me. Vans, trucks and busses- fine. But these days you hear genuinely sporty looking cars with diesels. These owners simply shouldn’t be allowed cars if they can’t be trusted.

And electric cars are so fucking pointless. ‘Save the planet as you draw bucket loads of electricity from big old coal fired power stations’.

Should be going down the hydrogen route IMO (with it actually being feasible to power electrolysis using renewables and all).

1 Like

I agree.
So I have forwarded this post to donaldtrump@whitehouse.us
I’m sure he’ll read it and start implementing all these ideas. :wink:

1 Like