Religion - Do we need it anymore?

We never did and it has held back humanity from the very beginning. It’s carries no true message of hope or love. The main tenant of all religions is “follow our rules or else”. Or else you’ll burn for ever in hell, be punished by Zeus, never achieve enlightenment, won’t get a Christmas gift. Hardly a message of hope, peace and prosperity. It’s a way to keep us in line. Period.

5 Likes

Just because you don’t believe in religion doesn’t make who do brainwashed.

At the end of the day we are free to believe and follow whatever we want, people can disagree, you aren’t the moral arbiter on what is right, just or ethical.

A religious person can say you have been brainwashed not to believe in God :man_shrugging:t5:

By who?

1 Like

By the devil

6 Likes

You really aren’t. From day one you actually are told by your parents you are religious and which religion to follow if you are born in religious family.

Sure people can disagree. On things that make actual sense.

If your family doesn’t believe in god you tend not to.

If religion plays a major part in your culture, values and tradition it’s not brainwashing.

If you don’t believe that it’s up to you; but you don’t have the right the label people because you don’t agree.

Brainwashed not believing in a fictional character?

Mmkay.

We are born a blank slate. Nobody is born to believe in anything. Not a god, nor in racism, nor in logic. Everything is taught. Some things are silly to teach: believing in gods and deities no one can confirm exist. Or racism, quite the silly thing to teach too. Or hate towards people who think differently and jail them for it.

Some things are useful to teach such as skepticism.

You do realise how silly you sound throughout the conversation?

Reasoning and logic are not part of your arsenal and argument.

2 Likes

A lot of atheists actually are born in religious families.

It is brainwashing, but the brainwashing has gotten to such a level that it is considered normal. That’s the whole point of brainwashing.

Funny thing about that is, that especially Christians and Muslims want you to respect their believes, but those same Christians and Muslims have killed every local believe or custom in the world (except for in a handful of Asian nations) to a point where they have divided and conquered the world between Christianty and Islam (except for those handful of Asian nations). Not often with force. I often LOL when I’m told I need to respect that. It’s such a hypocritical stance. If they had respected that, those religions weren’t as widespread in the first place.

1 Like

We aren’t born as a tabula rasa; we have certain drives that’s innate; btw Young’s kids are known to be drawn to kids that are similar to them in colour, it’s not racism but in group preference.

Yes we are to to be racist. Hate is not taught because it’s a feeling; however are taught to hate certain things.

Logic and reasoning is not learnt, we taught to use them in certain places and how to give more context to what we believe.

I sound silly because I am saying people have the freedom to associate with whom ever they feel.
Should I force you to like or hate someone based on my perspective?

You can say that about all religion and all ideologies brainwashed every single person including atheist.

It’s funny how religious people always kind of turn the burden of prove on atheists whilst they are the ones claiming a supernatural being exists. For which there is no evidence at all.

2 Likes

It’s literally you can believe what you want because it’s your freedom too; however you need offered the same in return.

Besides natural instincts for survival we are pretty much born tabula rasa.

Hate is a feeling, which comes from pain and insecurity and most of all fear. Hating people based on their skin colours, beliefs or sexual orientation is wholly taught.

You are free to associate with anyone you would like, but it does label you. As associating with Erdogan and other brutal dictators tells a lot about you as a person. You are okay with intimidation. You’re okay with limiting freedom of those who hold different values and beliefs than you and your dictator of choice. It automatically labels you as a proto-facsist.

And you’re wrong. I know from first hand experience that kids don’t know colour. Black white and all shades in between play together without judgement until the PARENTS teach them that there is a basis for judgement. Skin colour. Race.

Finally, something you’ve said I can get on board with.

3 Likes

I don’t. Slaves didn’t get that freedom f.e. If some sort of outragous claim is made I would like to see some prove in order to believe.

WTF are you on about? People a free to believe whatever they want to like you do…

Ok dude haha…

‘Free’ whilst your religion is actually decided in what family you are born in and you pretty much don’t have a say in it. That’s proper freedom.

Innate instinct dispenses with tabula rasa.

Yes that’s the point of freedom to associate, you run the risk of people calling names and what not. When did I say I am ok with intimedation? Or restricting freedoms? All I said it is for the nation to deal with it. Btw do you have a problem with China? The premier gave himself life premiership and restricts freedoms, even to the point introduced a social credit system.

Proto-fascist because I advocate people to have freedom to associate with whom ever they feel (not absolving them criticism). Advocating people’s freedom labels me a fascist, what next racist, sexist, islamaphobic :man_facepalming:t5:

Hate has very little to do with insecurities, hate can manifest from a number of different situations immediate or linked to your person.

No kids have been noted to prefer kids that are similar to them, it’s nothing to do with hate towards other races.

Yeah you do, like you said certain become atheist or change religion. Hence freedom.