Riyad Mahrez

Poll added! (Opening post)

With all the transfer rumours we get, I can’t help but feel like this is another one which will turn into nothing. But I am hopefully proved wrong!

Holy fucking hell what a signing this would be.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up since Leicester announced a few days ago that Mahrez wanted to stay.

however…emphasized text

This would make a ton of sense in a lot of ways as people up the threat pointed out. It potentially fixes our winger problem, adds goals from a non-striking position and may ease the pressure on the club to force a move through for a striker they don’t really want.

I just can’t help but be pessimistic because it seems like we can only sign a player when no other teams are involved in the bidding process.

1 Like

Ranieri has a squad harmony policy, he doesn’t seem to want to keep unhappy players as seen with Kante. A substantial offer could definitely see this through.

Mahrez Özil Alexis

Welbeck

Would be so good if Welbz wasn’t injured untill February :cry:

#Arsenal fans waking up to the news Mahrez has accepted an offer and could join for £42m... pic.twitter.com/Nsc3uwXUEt

— Ladbrokes (@Ladbrokes) July 23, 2016

So if we toss a bunch of money at Mahrez hopefully he’ll be more inclined to play in London than Vardy. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

People throw around “typical Wenger” as an insult all the time, but this really is. We need a striker and a (more experienced) centre back and go for a four millionth attacking midfielder as part of Arsene’s quest to build a team entirely out of attacking midfielders.

To be fair, when he did it with Arshavin it turned out to be a masterstroke, but bloody hell.

2 Likes

More like April mate. He might be back in Feb but won’t be match fit and contributing until April. He’s gone for the whole season.

1 Like

Only reason I said February is he was out until February this year with the same injury no?

But the right hand side of our attack is definitely a position that could do with strengthening. Centre forward might be a more pressing need but signing someone like Mahrez wouldn’t be frivolous or an example of Wenger signing an AM when it’s not what we need imo

2 Likes

We’ve needed a right winger for years. I’d argue Giroud was a better CF than Theo et al. are RWs. Players that can improve the starting eleven are what you need and this would definitely be one.

Buying Mahrez in no way should affect our striker expenditure considering we spent 10 fecking mil last season.

7 Likes

Back to reality

1 Like

Mahrez on the wing, with Alexis opposite, and Ozil in the middle.
Oh my oh my.

Giroud will definitely score 16 league goals in that team :giroud2:

5 Likes

I want to see that Mahrez dribble in warm ups at the Emirates.

Mahrez and a top striker in this window and we are seriously going to challenge for the PL.

Mahrez, along with Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla would mean very limited playing time for Walcott, Chamberlain and Ramsey, so maybe one or more of these might be sold to pay for Mahrez.