Site Feedback

It’s probably the phishing alert.

Yeah google are fucking cunts!

I’d imagine with no page system to kind of organise the threads a bit, megathreads will certainly be a thing of the past.

I see this more of a massive whatsapp group now rather than a forum. Taking nothing away, its clean and crisp, fast and easy to use; but I feel good discussions are going to be much harder to track now.

Not being a debbie downer here, just saying how I see it. I can imagine the hardwork thats gone on behind the scenes to create this new place for us all, and its greatly appreciated. I just feel its like how its when we moved from Highbury to Emirates and Arsenal lost their soul a bit.

2 Likes

Funnily enough @Calum said the other day on MDC that it was like moving from Highbury to the Emirates as well @Midfield_Maestro .

But absolutely appreicate your honest opinion and feedback. It’s a big unknown and risk how much everyone will take to such a drastic change. It’s a tricky balance of keeping the core members happy while hoping to attract new ones as well, something that sadly doesn’t happen anymore on the old site, so we had to make the change otherwise OA was in real danger of dying out. VBulletin long term just wasn’t a viable option anymore.

I guess we just have to hope with the main core of the members still here, we’ll still get the indepth conversations and debates. I hope we do anyways.

It’s like I said to @Castiel in another post, it would’ve been great to keep VBulletin as I’m going to miss it a lot too, but unfortunately their next version is very poor and now as you know the current one is running into a lot of problems now to the point it’s becoming unmanageable, so I guess if we weren’t changing now, it probably would’ve happened eventually down the line.

The next few months are going to be a great unknown but let’s hope it’ll still continue to be a great place to come and hang out :slight_smile:

I see what youre saying MM but to me the soul of this place has always been the members so as long as we keep that strong I think we’ll be good. :slight_smile:

MM, thank you for the honest opinion. I just wanted to let you know that I have archived every bit of history and you will be able to view it anytime from a link I will be creating above on this forum. So although we are losing vbulletin we certainly are not removing 13 years of post history. We had to make the move due to Vbulletin being just, well, shit!

Added to that Google are now making sites who use old Vbulletin software unsafe to use, thus the message everyone is getting at the moment. Furthermore, VB is easy to hack and has caused us problems in the past with brute force attacks making the site unresponsive.

I did a review of various different forum software, this is free, it is made by a community of discussion based gurus and I personally think given time it will be a massive improvement to the site and the community. We are constantly finding out stuff we can do here to make the community interact better.

Anyway thank you for the kind words regarding the hard work that has been put in, it’s appreciated.

Cheers
Shill

8 Likes

I work heavily in UX, and the scroll is much better across the board.

Received a notification for what I think is a badge but when I click on it there’s a try again error.

Not sure why imgur makes my screenshots so damn big lol

[quote=“Burgundy, post:82, topic:142”]
Received a notification for what I think is a badge but when I click on it there’s a try again error.

Not sure why imgur makes my screenshots so damn big lol
[/quote]Not the first to point this out, but basically I disabled quite a number of ‘first’ related badges. But it seems people still get badge notifications even though ultimately it won’t show up in the profile.

Defeats the purpose it seems being able to choose what people can and can’t earn it seems. Might have to put them all back on.

Ok so no pages but can you search a thread to easily find posts, or search a certain poster to see what they’ve said?

[quote=“Arsenal4thetreble, post:84, topic:142, full:true”]
Ok so no pages but can you search a thread to easily find posts, or search a certain poster to see what they’ve said?
[/quote]The search function top right hander will do just that very well. Probably easier to use than on VB.

Alternatively, if you want to find and read all of a particular members posts in one thread, click on their profile while viewing the thread and you’ll get an option to look at all their posts in the thread you’re looking.

For example, if you click on my avatar, and you’ll see it says “20 posts in topic” Then all the posts from that member will appear in a seperate page. Bit like on the old site really. So handy to have that feature still :slight_smile:

Oh and another thing. If you go to the very top of the first post in a thread, it shows every single member who has posted in the thread, and you can click on and it’ll go directly to their lists of posts, neat eh?

1 Like

How do I make it so I don’t get e-mails about posts in a thread I make?

[quote=“AbouCuellar, post:86, topic:142, full:true”]
How do I make it so I don’t get e-mails about posts in a thread I make?
[/quote]Click your avatar top right hand corner.
Next, click the little circle called Preferences
Then, scroll down until you get to the section where it says Email.
Here you can choose to tick what you want or don’t want email wise to be sent to you.
Once you’ve made your changes, click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

I’ve pretty much unticked all of them myself as it;s rather unnessary to get emails about it.

Hope that helps bro :+1:

Thanks mystical.

Regards the new site I like a lot of the features I just wish the layout with the different categories could be the one you see at first, instead of just a long list of the most recent posts. Makes it a bit chaotic and hard to go to what interests you. For now it’s fine since there’s not too much activity but I can imagine when the site is at full potential it will be a bit offputting.

[quote=“AbouCuellar, post:88, topic:142, full:true”]
Thanks mystical.

Regards the new site I like a lot of the features I just wish the layout with the different categories could be the one you see at first, instead of just a long list of the most recent posts. Makes it a bit chaotic and hard to go to what interests you. For now it’s fine since there’s not too much activity but I can imagine when the site is at full potential it will be a bit offputting.
[/quote]No problem!

And it’s a good point. I don’t mind the Latest Posts being the main thing for now but over time as it gets bigger Categories might just need to be the main one.

I made a small poll here about what option are members using to view the site and atm it seems latest posts wins hands down http://community.onlinearsenal.com/t/viewing-the-site/230

Initially put me off too but I’ve adjusted and the new posts section is by far the easiest I think, and not once did I use that button on VB. :slight_smile:

New place looks fresh! Will take some getting used to though!

You can bookmark posts now so you can save them if you need to. I like this feature. :slight_smile:

I love reading threads on my phone, it has an excellent feel about it. I also think the whole notification system and header is really good and a massive modern upgrade.

The navigation between threads isn’t doing it for me at the moment though, doesn’t feel as intuitive. But I don’t doubt I’ll get used it.

Top work to everyone involved.

Also anyone else feel like this is a sort of secret forum at the moment?

3 Likes

Seen some ask about a Who’s Online? feature like on VB.

Currently there isn’t one on here. The only way to see whos’ online is through User list section which is availble only for Admins/Mods.

However, we are looking into seeing if we can add a plugin to make an appearance on here as well, so fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like