Steven N'Zonzi

Daily Mail is reporting tonight that N’Zonzi has handed in a formal transfer request to try and force through a move to Arsenal. Player has a reported release clause of £35m but Sevilla may accept as little as £22m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5911373/Sevilla-midfielder-Steven-NZonzi-hands-transfer-request-hope-pushing-Arsenal-move.html

1 Like

You bugger you just beat me to it…:wenger:

1 Like

He would be a bit useless with Torreira, tbh.

Its getting a little too much now. We cant keep signing 30 year old farts with no resale value

1 Like

We really shouldn’t have to worry about resale value if they are players that will boost our quality

1 Like

I’d rather this guy, and put Xhaka on the bench :slight_smile:

There’s always going to be squad turnover and we need players who might one day command a respectable fee. One of our problems in recent years is that Oxlade Chamberlain is the only player we’ve sold for a fee worth a fuck. You just need to look at Liverpool to see the benefit of signing players with resale value, they’re having the transfer window of their lives (plus VVD for a huge fee in Jan) and it’s because they sold Coutinho for an fantasic sum

2 Likes

Just worried on the longterm. The future squad will have a big chunk of players all retiring at the same time. Which we all know by now is a recipe for disaster death and destruction.

Yeah fair enough but I don’t think it should stop us from signing players like Nzonzi if they will have a definite and tangible impact on the team.

I’m not advocating against signing Coutinho 2.0 haha

Torreira is the future cashcow, N’zonzi is just a useful unit we could use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes but we also have Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Auba of the same age. It’s not going to be fun replacing an entire forward line and chunk of our midfield (if we were to sign Nzonzi) pretty much at once.

I’m not even particularly against signing Nzonzi if he has the kind of quality that would be useful, I just don’t understand the notion that resale value, and by extension sensible squad planning, are things we don’t need to consider.

3 Likes

Looking at it from that perspective it does make sense.

Leno, Bellerin, Kolasinac, Ramsey, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Chambers, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lacazette are all 26/27 years or younger, There are 6 players for who this goes in the squad, 7 if we include N’Zonzi. I think we will be fine.

We cried for years about losing players and now we want players who we can sell for a high fee…

1 Like

We can worry about that after we get back to the CL.

I think you’re angling for a contradiction where one doesn’t exist. You can not want to sell your best players but also want to have assets who can command a decent fee when we’re done with them, the two aren’t remotely mutually exclusive.

I’m not willing to pay any above £20m+ N’Zonzi. I don’t doubt his ability but it’s not a smart strategic signing.

Well, it would be an experienced squad for once. I’d take it for 1-2 years.

Our midfield has been crap for a while. Regardless of the age, I’m glad Emery is addressing it.

2 Likes

Btw. This is not going to happen. We have just extended Xhaka, Elneny and Maitland-Niles and Torreira is supposed to come in.

2 Likes

N’zonz seems very superfluous in a squad with Torreira, AMN and Mo Elneny in it. Pass.

1 Like