Summer 2016 Transfers Thread

As always, nothing that fans already didn’t know.:expressionless:

Arsenal doing fuck all in the transfer market, what a surprise.

Edit: The video

Mahrez (4:05) @Bilalkhan_01
Lacazette (11:55)
Mustafi (12:30)

1 Like

We’re searching a striker:

Higuain
Morata
Michy
Gameiro
Milik
Schurrle
Embolo
Janssen
Volland
Musa
Vietto
Ibrahimovic
Werner
Kruse
Negredo
Sanabria

have changed squad during this summer.

…and if we can consider the idea to put Sanchez on attack

Pjaca
Nolito
Sanè
Emre Mor
Manè
Gaitan
Miki
Gotze
Ben Arfa
Correa

are the wingers who have changed squad.

We bought Xhaka in May but the rest? Nothing. Arsène Wenger wasted two months and is set to waste August, as usual.

I’m tired, f***k off :facepalm:

5 Likes

Even Laca is quite underwhelming after all the names this club has been linked with over the years. Sure, he’ll do a job and offers something different that will hopefully move the club forward, but if he’s going to be the one we end up signing, I’m sure we could have done similar business 3 years ago or just simply bought Draxler, despite his injuries, last summer and be done with it.

Lacazette is seriously underwhelming but I know come deadline day I’ll be praying to god we sign him if he’s our only option.

3 Likes

Annnd it’s fell through, Milan tried a last ditch attempt at loaning Musacchio for a year after failing to come up with the funds but Villarreal were having none of it :smirk:.

Damn, even Maxi’s totally fed up. :frowning:

Let’s be honest, our transfer window is only not going to be a complete sham if we sign Lacazette, Mahrez, and a centre back. And who actually believes all 3 of those things will happen before the close of the window?

5 Likes

Reached his breaking point :sunglasses:

1 Like

Martinez announced as new Belgium manager.

Lukaku won’t be happy with that lol

I do. I do.

Lol…no, no I don’t.

1 Like

I cannot call it a sham if we sign a high level attacker and defender but nothing more (ie, Lacazette and Mustafi, but not Mahrez). I know everybody is frustrated right now but its kind of ridiculous if spending 100M net and filling three first team outfield positions with high-level players aged 23-25 (while also adding some intriguing talents like Holding and Nwakali) is viewed as a massive disappointment. Would it be better to have Mahrez as well or to have landed a world class striker like Higuain? Of course. But lets not make out like spending 100M on three first XI players in our spine is some kind of slap in the face of the supporters.

7 Likes

It is a slap in the face because we shouldn’t be in that position. We should be at the point of adding depth and picking and choosing who we want in non-critical Positions…not sorting out the spine of the team for what seems to be the 8th window in a row or however long it’s been since RVP left.

5 Likes

That’s true. Sham is too strong of a word. That would be a decent summer, but just not enough.

1 Like

So according to Ornstein, we aren’t doing much at the moment except for playing friendlies. Sounds about right.

1 Like

Some Arsenal fans freak out because they read too many sensationalist articles and take them to heart. If Arsenal brings in a center back and a striker they’ll have done roughly as much as the others. United has brought in Ibra, Mkhitaryan and Eric Bailly (who probably won’t even be in the starting XI). There’s been talk all summer about Pogba, but he’s not there yet (and even if they sign him it will be at a ridiculous price). City have bought Gundogan, Sane and Nolito (who won’t be a regular in the first XI). In other words, the Manchester Clubs have each added two players to their starting lineup. So how can anyone say that Arsenal is way behind with almost a month to go in the transfer window? And it should be noted that Arsenal did finish ahead of both of those clubs last year, so maybe those clubs need more work.

Honestly, I wouldn’t give a crap if they didn’t bring in anybody else if everyone could just stay healthy (Per and Welbeck’s injuries being the reason a center back and striker are needed). So if Arsene brings in a good striker as an alternative to Giroud and a solid veteran center back to go along with Xhaka (the studly DM Arsenal has needed for years), I think it will be a highly successful transfer window.

2 Likes

If everyone could just stay healthy our current squad is not good enough under Arsène Wenger’s management. Last season we had the good fortune to have the best player in the league fit throughout the season, and a decent injury record aside, and we finished on 71 pts.

City have added a young Brazilian striker who was wanted by Barça and Madrid, and is considered the premium Brazilian talent since Neymar. That on top of two strikers that are already better than anyone we have, IMO, in Agüero and Iheanacho. They’ve added one of the biggest European talents, too, in Sané, who is ready to contribute now, and would likely be better than anything we have on the right side.

Most importantly, of course, they’ve added Pep. City have had pretty much a dream window with Gabriel Jesus, Sané, and Gündogan, and they’re set to add more, it’s not like the window only continues to be open for us…

United don’t scare me as much because of their manager and because they were starting from a lower starting point than City, but there’s no denying they’ve done more than us in signing Ibra, Mkhitaryan, Pogba. Those are three players that would upgrade us.

I have no idea how bringing in the bare minimum in a striker that is better than Giroud without being anything especially exciting (Lacazette), a CB needed to plug a glaring hole, and Xhaka (the best signing of the lot, no doubt), could be considered a highly successful transfer window. But there you go.

8 Likes

But they’re paying a ridiculous price for Pogba, so that negates the quality he adds to their side.

Also despite what articles like the recent Statsbomb one suggest, I’m still not entirely convinced that’s a given. Still believe Michy would have been the better option and neither are good enough to be starting regularly for us.

Wouldn’t be mad if Wenger tried to secure the best young 9 he can find and signed a starting CB, competing for the league is a reach anyway.

Xhaka will be as good if not better than Pogba and he cost a fraction of the price. If anything they would cancel each other out in terms of measure your penis transfer edition. We still have to do a lot to match their window which we won’t but I see his point.

Decent injury record? You certainly must have been watching some team other than Arsenal last year. Wilshere, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Ramsey, Alexis, Mertesacker, Coquelin, Walcott and Debuchy all missed significant time with injuries last year.

And, again, United has not signed Pogba. They might. They probably will. But that transfer saga has been dragging all summer (Arsenal fans would be fuming and accusing Wenger of dallying if it went on that long). If you’re going to give United credit for players they haven’t signed, then you should be putting Lacazette in Arsenal’s column. Yes, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan will probably be good signings for them, but what have they done to improve their defense? I can assure you that Xhaka would improve United a helluva lot too.

And there you go: Manchester City is “set to add more.” Well, Arsenal is set to add more as well. Why does City get credit for rumors but not Arsenal? Gabriel Jesus won’t even be playing for City this calendar year because he’s staying in Brazil until the end of the season in December. Plus he’s 19 and has never played in a top league. Nobody really knows how he will work out. Lots of guys with the same hype don’t. Lots of young guys who are wanted by Barcelona and Real Madrid don’t. Let’s wait and see before we canonize him. City’s roster is filled with big money guys and a lot of them didn’t live up to the hype.

Also, what has City done to improve their defense? (And don’t tell me they’re signing Stones because at this moment they haven’t). They have two thirty-something fullbacks who used to be really good at Arsenal. Kompany (now 30) has had trouble staying healthy and when he’s not in the team they’ve struggled. Joe Hart is coming off what wasn’t really a stellar year. They’ve got nobody back there as good as Cech, Koscielny and Bellerin.

And Pep Guardiola is not God. He’s been very successful at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, two clubs that were fantastic and highly successful before he got there and which gave him pretty much unlimited funds. City fits that profile in all ways but one – they don’t have a long history of success. Whether or not he can be as dominant in the Premier League remains to be seen. The idea that he is some sort of managerial wizard and Arsene Wenger is some sort of amateur is ridiculous.

Here’s the problem with some Arsenal fans (particularly the ones who feed off each other’s negativity on message boards): the grass is always greener. Especially over the septic tank.

1 Like

This is just insulting, especially addressed to someone who has been keen to call out Arsenal fans for just this (when it actually applied). Repeating nonsense like this when it doesn’t apply in the least is just as bad as the bullshit that others repeat on the other side of the spectrum.

3 Likes