Summer 2016 Transfers Thread

You got it bad for Evans. :slight_smile:

Haha I just want an NI player at Arsenal again but I can’t have it because they all suck so bad apart from a couple of our defenders, you should know where I’m coming from :scream_cat:.

I know exactly where you’re coming from. You might remember me from such transfer rumours as Shane Long and Kevin Doyle. :slight_smile:

Eddie McGoldrick is the last ROI player to regularly play for Arsenal.

Tbh I’d have taken Shane Long, genuinely think he would outscore Giroud in a league season with our players but people wouldn’t be able to get past the snobbery. Coleman too at one point prior to our young Spaniard locking down that position for the next decade.

2 Likes

Weirdly I agree, Solid player.

I don’t notice many other top European clubs queueing up to buy Giroud, so we should be looking for someone better than him.
He is adequate and that’s all.
I agree, we do need an alternative but even that has taken more than four seasons.

[quote=“Moondoggie, post:258, topic:310”]
You should accept that Messi, Suarez, Lewandowski and Aguero aren’t available. I wouldn’t have paid 75 million for Higuain either. And even if I had, that would have been no guarantee that he would have preferred playing in England than in Italy. Many South Americans feel more comfortable in Italy or Spain because there is less culture shock.
[/quote]Who’s saying we should get Messi or Suarez.
Wenger won’t pay the money, and the world’s best players want to play with similar quality, and for a club that show ambition.
I agree there is no guarantee any player will perform in this country, but surely that doesn’t mean we have to limit ourselves to players that come from South America.
Also should we just say, it’s not worth trying for certain players because they might not be suited to the PL, Aguero seems to have done ok in this league.

Again, no one said we could, but when we have a massive budget and have waited for so long for a striker, the situation is embarrassing.

Wilshere and Welbeck were injured before the season began, but nobody had an inkling that their injuries would keep them out the entire season.
[/quote]Wilshere is constantly injured so Wenger must be the only person who didn’t have an inkling.
How can any manager keep making the same mistakes every season, relying on crocks like, Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere etc, and then turn round and say, "I wasn’t expecting those players to be injured.
We haver the worst injury record of any club in Europe, why did Wenger think Wilshere’s, injury wasn’t going to happen?

Last year’s business was last year’s business. It’s completely immaterial to this year’s business.
[/quote]The fact that we spent very little means we have a lot more money to spend on players in this transfer window.

Some of you will never be satisfied. You want Arsenal to be Real Madrid, not Arsenal. Even if Wenger signed Messi and Jonny Evans, you’d be bitching because Evans isn’t a big enough name or cost enough money to win the Summer Transfer Bigger Penis Debate.
[/quote]No one expects Arsenal to be Real Madrid but what we do expect is us to be competing fro the PL.
Every season we are always 2-3 top quality players short of a title winning team.
How long are you willing to tolerate our shambolic transfer strategy before you realise that it is not only going to stop our chances of winning the PL, but also any chance we have of hanging on to players like Ozil and Sanchez.

By the way, if we signed Messi and Evans, I don’t know any Arsenal supporters that wouldn’t be happy with that.

There are a lot of long posts and rebuttals here and it does rather seem like people are defending our transfer business relative to the other big clubs, I guess with the notion that there is more time. Frankly, based on:

a) past evidence of our business dealings
b) the fact that any signings now will not be acclimated to our squad at all
c) we still have at least 2, if not 3 GLARING holes in our squad (striker, cb, and winger)

I don’t see how anyone can defend it so far
 we will not compete for the title but we could be.

Sometimes you go into a season with one area not perfect and you make up for it with quality elsewhere (e.g., possibly ManU), but we are behind several and really only have 2 positions with locked down WC players (Sanchez and Ozil), and maybe tier below with Kosc and Cech

When Moondoggie gets on a roll like this you just know that we’ve totally fucked something up. Maximum Wenger Fundamentalist.

4 Likes

The problem here is of expectation .
People seem to think we are looking for a world class striker when what we are looking for is a temporary replacement for Danny Wellbeck who has spent almost half of his brief time at Arsenal injured and is set for another lengthy layoff ,possibly season long .
I could be wrong but I just don’t see us spending 40 plus mill on a striker right now .
Likewise I cant see us spending over 15 million on a defender even thiugh we should replace the
lumbering BFG whose glory days are firmly behind him.
We delude ourselves that Arsenal will make the big signings needed to win a major trophy when its cheif executive tells us flatly that we cant/wont compete with the financially doped rivals .
Im not angry upset or whinging , I accept the staus quo but Il be very very happy to be proved wrong for a change |!

2 Likes

Chances of a work permit are slim, like his brother @ Man City & Iheanacho last year he’ll probably go on loan for a year at least.

1 Like

Rather than continue wasting my time arguing point by point, I’ll just say that this statement boils it down to the whole problem. Those of you who demand that everything be done yesterday are more worried about what your mates who support other clubs think than you are about the actual long-term well-being of the club. You completely dismiss the fact that Arsenal started the offseason in a better place than any the clubs you’re wanking over. You let click-bait articles get you all wound up. Half the things I see bandied about in here as “facts” are nothing but speculation from those articles. You get all worked up over speculation about players you know very little about based on the overinflated prices touted in those click-bait articles. None of you really know what’s going on behind the scenes, but you pretend that you do.

You’re incapable of waiting to see what happens before the window closes because you think everyone is laughing at you, personally, because you’re an Arsenal fan. And that’s what I find most hilarious. Do you really think Liverpool fans and Manchester United fans are laughing at a club that’s playing in the Champions League when their club isn’t? Do you really think City fans are laughing at the fans of a club that finished two spots ahead of their club and has such a gap in history? Are Chelsea fans laughing from 10th place? Well, maybe Leicester fans are laughing all the way to 10th place this year. Honestly, anyone who is “embarrassed” to be an Arsenal fan should just go support a club that won’t embarrass them so much. Maybe one of those clubs you think has a bigger penis.

I’ll close this rant by addressing this desperation for a right winger. In fact, I’ll make a prediction. If Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain can stay healthy, you won’t see that much difference between him and Mahrez. He’s got the same sort of ability (and is three years younger). Iwobi looked pretty good there at the end of last season as well and should only continue to get better. And it’s entirely possible that Walcott may get back to being a decent option now that he’s given up on his dreams of being a central striker. Plus, while it may not be their best position, Ramsey and Wilshere are capable of playing there as well. So it’s really not the desperate situation some of you are making it out to be. You’ve only convinced yourselves that it is because you want a stream of big name signings to impress your mates and show them that you have a bigger penis. If Mahrez comes, fine. Be excited about it. But don’t act as though it’s a necessity rather than a luxury.

So here’s what to look for in the coming weeks. Arsenal needs to sign a center back and a striker to cover for Mertesacker and Welbeck. These players do not have to be galacticos. A good, solid center back to partner with Koscielny is enough. Jonny Evans or Scott Dann will be fine if that’s what it comes down to. They’re not Franco Baresi, but they’re good, solid, experienced Premier League players. If Lacazette is signed, be happy. If not, give whoever is signed a chance. I remember a few years back posting a link that said Wenger was considering Diego Costa, then of Atletico Madrid. Some of you started howling that he was crap and Arsenal should be going after Falcao instead. But Costa didn’t turn out to be too bad (utter jerk that he may be). So it’s not always about price or reputation. A lot of people scoffed when Wenger signed Thierry Henry. So I’ll remain patient and wait to see how things work out.

1 Like

Are you guys not sick and tired of repeating this mantra over and over again? Or is it so nice to be stuck with your head in the sand?It’s always remain patience and see how things work out, but it never changes and it will not change under Wenger. We’re stuck in this status quo. It’s maybe time YOU guys are going too need too accept that, it stead of repeating we’re moaning and all that.

2 Likes

Yea, I guess I’m done with arguing this topic. The post above is a whole new level of speculation and what ifs. Not even arguing the points anymore, but just throwing out some old clichĂ©s, while thinking it applies to everyone.

How many straw man arguments can you fit in one post.
Who said they were bothered about what Man City, Chelsea, Leicester etc, supporters said about our transfer business?
All we want is a couple of decent signings that we have waited too long for.

[quote=“Moondoggie, post:272, topic:310”]
Honestly, anyone who is “embarrassed” to be an Arsenal fan
[/quote]I’m not.
I said that our transfer strategy and lack of any real signings, is embarrassing.[quote=“Moondoggie, post:272, topic:310”]

If Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain can stay healthy, you won’t see that much difference between him and Mahrez.
[/quote]Apart from Mahrez being the player of the season, having a PL winners medal and being the best attacking midfielder in the PL.
If you think that is not much different to Chamberlain who can’t even get in the Arsenal first team unless there are injuries, then you must be his agent.

[quote=“Moondoggie, post:272, topic:310”]
And it’s entirely possible that Walcott may get back to being a decent option now that he’s given up on his dreams of being a central striker.
[/quote]He is a RW, doesn’t like it there, then wants to be a striker, doesn’t like it there, then wants to go back to being a RW again like a petulant child.
His only achievement is being our longest serving player while earning world class players wages and bottling out of challenges.
Do you seriously believe Wenger should stick with Walcott and Chamberlain, who are constantly injured, inconsistent, overpaid squad players, rather than have Mahrez?

That’s an amazing statement from an Arsenal supporter.

3 Likes

You’re the one who said you were embarrassed. Embarrassment requires a feeling of shame or self-consciousness. Thus, embarrassment only exists if you care about what others think.

Also, it should be noted that Manchester United won the league with Jonny Evans playing a key role in the center of their defense. Alex Ferguson rates him very highly (no offense intended, but I’ll take Fergie’s assessment over yours). So while Evans may not be at the very top of the list, there really would be nothing for you to be embarrassed about if Arsenal brought him in. He was very good for West Brom last year and he was excellent for Northern Ireland during the Euros. The fact that he would’t be a flashy enough signing to make you feel you have the bigger penis over your mates pretty much says it all. Scott Dann is a pretty good player too. He’s Palace’s captain this year. Very solid guy. You don’t need a galactico at every position. Sometimes you just need the guy who will do the work and go unnoticed.

And just to add, you would have scoffed at Mahrez a year ago as he was coming off a 4 goal, 3 assists season with Leicester. Had Arsenal bought him then, you’d have howled that Wenger had lost the plot bringing in a second-rate player from a club that barely escaped relegation. You know it’s true. Oxlade-Chamberlain (4 goals, 5 assists last year) has the same sort of ability. That’s all I’m saying. And I actually said “if he can stay healthy.” You must have missed that part, since that was your big argument against him.

I agree, but we don’t even bother to go out and get that guy, either. So I’m not sure what your point is?

There’s no player thread so I’ll just post it here:

Szczesny goes back to Roma for another year. Hope he does well.

1 Like

Says the guy who, a week before Arsenal bought Ozil, was absolutely guaranteeing me that Arsene Wenger would never, ever pay more than 15 million for a player.

Said to be no option to buy in the Szczesny loan deal too, he’ll return with 1 year left on his contract.

Ah, already. I’m honestly surprised that we aren’t hearing a lot in regards to contract extensions at this point. There’s a whole list of players that should be on only one year on their contract next summer and the struggle to sign them all down to a new contract is going to be more exciting than the transfer window itself it seems.

1 Like