Other Clubs' Transfers

Hahaha oh yeah, I forgot about that :auba:

1 Like

I would go with a top quality CB.
We have enough adequate players that after a few seasons we canā€™t get rid of, so top quality would be preferable to yet another average player.

Itā€™s clear we canā€™t rely on Kos, who has been our best CB, so he must be replaced with at least a player of similar quality, and hope that Mustafi and Socratis can be good enough to play alongside a new top quality signing.
We also need someone who is captain material because this team really lacks any leaders.

Although Torreira is a decent player, if he is our biggest signing I would consider that a very poor window.

Itā€™s pathetic the way this club is pleading poverty, yet in previous seasons brags about how we can compete with Europeā€™s elite.

In two out of the last three seasons, we have had transfer windows with a net spend of almost nothing, so why canā€™t we afford to buy better quality.

1 Like

Why?

I donā€™t think some people realise what an absolute gem Torreira is. Iā€™d much rather make a signing of that ilk ā€“ someone who is not necessarily the biggest name but is somebody we absolutely need, rather than make a marquee signing just for the sake it.

Besides, we signed Aubameyang in January. Now we just need to create a solid team, filling in the gaps which are in desperate need of attention.

2 Likes

The amount. Getting around 50 mil would already be good.

We have often filled the gaps but not with very good players.
We need a top quality CB, GK and winger, and itā€™s clear we arenā€™t get going to get more than one of those.
If we have already spent more than half of that, assuming we get Torreira, then it leaves us with maybe 20m to fill one of those positions, and to get a top quality GK is going to cost at least that.
If itā€™s a CB or winger weā€™re after then weā€™re not going to get anything better than what we have.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the point though. Not signing what you regard as a ā€œbigā€ name does not make it a poor window. And signing one does not automatically make it a success.

People are too hung up on big names and price tags. Itā€™s more important to buy the right players, it shouldnā€™t matter whether they play for Sampdoria or Barcelona.

5 Likes

Itā€™s true, but when we have bought big name players like Ozil and Sanchez, they have become our best players.
When we have gone for cheap and adequate, when we were desperate for quality, we get lumbered with players that arenā€™t good enough that we canā€™t sell.

A big name signing also gives the club a lift which is good for the players and supporters which, as you know, rarely happens in our transfer windows.

We just signed Auba and Mhki 6 months ago. Ɩzil signed a new contract and we are about to sign one of the most highly rated young CMā€™s in the world. What more do you want hah?

Weā€™ve got our marquee signings.

Now we just need players. Trust in Sven

1 Like

While this is true and while name doesnā€™t equate to quality if we look at Unitedā€™s signings, have we signed players on par with Liverpoolā€™s signings in the last 3 windows? IE

Salah
VDV
Keita
Fabinho
and maybe Fekir or another

vs

Pea
Mkhitayran
Lacazette
Torieira
Sokratis

Iā€™ll leave out the minor signings on both lists and while I think Torieira looks a very good buy we arenā€™t upgrading our squad with the same ambition and investment that they are.

Auba is worth his weight in diamondsā€¦ That signing alone puts us on par with any strike force bar PSG.

1 Like

He may be, but his clock is surly ticking.

You can buy all the big name players you want but if there isnā€™t any cohesion it all falls flat, see United.

Weā€™ve invested in some very, very good players last season and yes we do need some more high quality with regard to defence, GK and an attacker but we arenā€™t a club thatā€™s going to go out every window spending Ā£50mil plus on a couple players.

I think filling in some holes, upgrading the midfield with Torreia and most importantly getting this team as a tactically astute unit will set us in good stead. It isnā€™t going to happen overnight for us no matter how much we want it to, also letā€™s not forget the transfer window is far from over.

6 Likes

For me it depends if we were able and willing to buy a really top GKā€¦if we could get Jan Oblak for instance, even if it meant blowing the budget and some to sign him, Iā€™d do itā€¦then next year go for a top quality CB.

Iā€™m still hopeful for a loan deal for Ousmane DembĆ©lĆ©ā€¦

1 Like

If you take Salah out of the equation, I think we have edged Liverpool in signings. Virgil van Dijk was not worth anything near Ā£75m and while Fabinho is an excellent signing and very jealous too I think the business we done in January to get Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang out of the Alexis saga was excellent business. Also no one could have predicted that Salah would have such an outstanding season - it will be interesting to see if he can replicate it next season.

2 Likes

Liverpool have signed Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho and Keita in the last year. All of them 100% starters in our 11. What planet are you on.

Honestly one of the worst posts of all time.

1 Like

Did you actually read my post? Aubameyang is a world class player. Mkhitaryan is an excellent signing for us and Lacazette will be a top quality striker - he has bags of potential.

I maintain Van Dijk, isnā€™t top quality, Liverpool just paid well over the odds for him.

2 Likes

I read your post and couldnā€™t disagree any more.

Heā€™s 27 heā€™s as good as he will be

2 Likes

Mkhi and Aubameyang are 29, their top level is approaching the end. Not players who are gonna have any resale value and will most likely need replacing in a couple years. Lacazette i just dont think hes top quality. We keep talking about how we need to build a team now for the future well none of these players will be in it.

All of liverpools players however early-mid 20s plenty who are already at a top level they can build around for the future.

That makes two of us!