Other Clubs' Transfers

We’ve lost 13 (!) games last season in the League. If Emery can’t improve on that he sucks a lot more than I already think he does.

His Europa League pedigree speaks for itself; semi-final with Valencia and three wins with Sevilla. Also this group is still better than 95% of the other contestants.

1 Like

If you can’t build a team to perform in the league you won’t stay long at a big club.

Do you want him to stay long? I don’t. But it would be nice if he gets an Europa League, and to a lesser extent Champions League qualification, in on his way out.

I don’t want him to stay long and I don’t see him doing anything in the short term. In two years we are most likely 5th/6th looking for a manager with no CL football.

But I HOPE Wenger was that bad our players are actually just good enough to squeeze CL football with a bit of coaching somehow.

What are you basing your dark depressing assumpions on.

Emery league record and the way his teams played?

I think people underrate how shite Wenger were in specially these last couple of years. For every game he got more senile and stubborn and tactis and prepaing for the opposition was non existent. Unai seems like a tactical nerd, and i think he is just the sort of coach to drill these pussies who has underperformed for years coyg !

4 Likes

Yeah I think maybe we are underwhelmed at his quality as a coach which may not be a highest, but as a fit, he may be perfect for what we need, which will bring bigger improvement than we think.

2 Likes

Exactly. If Wenger had stayed we would probably not have signed anyone yet. Doubtful he would address the obvious positions that need strengthening.
I’m not overly hyped just yet, I still have my doubts about Unai. But so far he has spotted our weak parts and acted accordingly. If they’re the right players to fill the gaps we will see.

3 Likes

If you do a full circle then you end up where you started.

2 Likes

Pedantic Jakey :henry2:

1 Like

Lol what! Do you already want Emery gone? :unai:

Just wait till we lift Hong Kong cup. Unai haters will have to retreat.

2 Likes

Lol.

But I actually disagree with the point being made totally. I really don’t get the impression that most people on here have done a 180 and completely changed their mind in the space of less than a month. I just don’t think that’s true.

It’s nowhere near true. He wasn’t even in the discussion (or was barely in it) and didn’t have a thread until Ornstein announced it.

Are you for real?

Sokratis = upgrade on our current CBs with maybe exception of Koscielny
Lichtsteiner = we now have two recognised right backs and means Bellerín has competition for first team spot and has bags of experience of winning titles at Juve…
Torreira = a defensive midfielder…someone who can sit in front of the back four and break up play - how long have we needed someone like this?
Leno = a young GK with potential…clearly tallented, good shot stopper and penalty saver. Of the 4 players we have signed, the biggest risk and most underwhelming, BUT we have to give him a chance. On the plus side, if he doesn’t work out, he hasn’t cost that much and given his age will have a good re-sale value.

So:

• For first time in ages problem areas are being addressed
  • The strength and depth of the squad is being improved
  • We have completed 4 signings BEFORE the end of June!!!
  • Vast majority of Arsenal fans wanted or were open to change at the end of last season…we’ve got it…get behind the team and give the new manager and structure a chance!

Case for the defence CLOSED!

8 Likes

It’s kinda true tbf. When his name was first rumoured there were a number of people who were against it, who are now first class passengers on the bandwagon. It’s a classic case of people basically convincing themselves into something with flimsy logic because they want to be optimistic about their team. Which I can say because I’m well experienced in this.

1 Like

There were probably a few “he wouldn’t be my first choice” type remarks but I think you will struggle to find any more than a couple of posts completely against his appointment. Outside of your own hundred or so in the Emery thread obviously . He simply wasn’t viewed as a serious candidate (which you could argue telss its own story…but that’s not the story being discussed here).

4 Likes

Ah you mother fucker. Was about to go hardcore into some old school OA throwback arguments.

1 Like

I find the choice to appoint Emery similar to the majority of our signings this summer, underwhelming with limited ceiling but I suppose we could do a fair bit worse.