UEFA Champions League

They are more fit for the competition than we are that’s for sure. The way they came back from 2 behind away at Juve was pretty fucking good. Juve even went defensive. They would give anyone in Europe a game at the moment.

2 Likes

I still think trophies are what count though. Like, looking back at the 90s for example – you think of Milan, perhaps Ajax etc.

Unless Spurs start winning trophies nobody is going to look back and think of them as one of Europe’s elite.

Easy draw for Spurs in the rd of 16, imagine if we got a crappy group with Real Madrid in it and then also got the gravy of drawing Juventus after we topped that group.

1 Like

They aren’t the European elite these days though. They are historically big clubs but haven’t been at their best for 10-20 years.

1 Like

Yeah but what I mean is, they were considered European elite at the time because they won things. Spurs haven’t won anything to put them in that bracket. How can they be considered European elite when they’ve barely even challenged for the European trophies?!

Because if they beat Juve, they’d be in the top 8 clubs in Europe technically.

https://twitter.com/juventusfc/status/971458336037179392

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/971452924080676865
https://twitter.com/FC_Basel_en/status/971456222703570946

“Top 8 teams in Europe technically 2017/18”

That’ll look good in their trophy cabinet

2 Likes

Better than “lost 2-1 to Ostersund” or “humped by the animate corpse of AC Milan” tbh

I don’t see why you object so much to the notion of Tottenham being one of the european elite, THIS YEAR, if they make it to the quarter finals.

1 Like

We don’t need to put stuff like that in our trophy cabinet though – you know, what with us actually having won some real ones

Because times have changed and the European elite these days probably aren’t so much bound to winning European glories but more about being the best teams around. Otherwise the European elite would merely consist of 3-4 teams, as even winners from not even 10 years ago are barely the same they were back then, which of course can be debated but IMO would be a little too narrow for my own liking.

Ultimately though it’s all just opinion and nothing really official.

1 Like

So if you make the QF, you’re classed as one of the European elite?

Shakhtar Donetsk will be pleased to hear that.

Look, if Spurs continue like this for a few years, win things or at least come close then i’ll say fair play. But it’s still early days – one swallow does not make a summer.

Yes?

For this year, they will be. Especially after beating last season’s finalists to get there.

Just like Schalke were in 2011 and Monaco last season.

I think we have different definitions of “European elite”

2 Likes

Think we have the same ones when we look at overall performance or recent, let’s say, 5 years performance.

But in the conditions stated multiple times by me, Tottenham would fall under that.

ummmm this just appeared on my tv… explain yourself @Cristo

1 Like

Can’t wait till the Netflix episode where Juve bottle the CL QF against Tottenham :arteta:

1 Like

Son is quality.

Glenn Hoddle is a fucking idiot

1 Like

Juventus just parking the bus atm. Meanwhile, City take the lead. Sanè :giroud2:

Juventus look fucking shit. Tottenham on the high atm.
That was a fucking penalty to Tottenham!
Wow Kane! I thought he would have scored here.
Another penalty denied, but to Juventus now.