UEFA Champions League

There’s a simple solution for this; one club per League with an open draw. Granted that might lead to things like Ajax or Bayern’ winning three times in a row like they did in the 70s. But now if you beat one big/rich club another one is waiting. Clubs from smaller Leagues have no chance in the current set-up. But UEFA is never going to go for this. There are also a lot of people who don’t mind the same 6-8 clubs competing.

1 Like

Bayern Munich and Juventus Don’t have wage bills as big as Arsenal :eyes:

Yeah but they are the richest club in their respective league so they not only have the advantage of money but they poach the best talent from their league. Bayern and Juve are basically the Italian and German league all star teams. Plus you are completely ignoring the fact that we are just a brain dead club who don’t spend our money wisely. Takes nothing away from my point.

1 Like

So being a former winner gives you some sort of right to be perpetually involved? If that’s not what you’re saying, what on earth is “made to feel welcome” meant to mean? I don’t know what you’re even proposing.

Made to feel welcome means the champions of smaller leagues like Celtic, Ajax, Olympiakos etc not have to go through countless qualifiers just to make it to the group stage.

Perpetual involvement only if they finish high enough in their leagues, not because they are former winners, I was using that to show how these clubs who were former champions of europe are now disrespected because of the capitalisation of football.

@SDGooner I agree, and think that would go too far the other way. I’d like a middle ground like there was when the CL was first introduced.

Or this:
Champions of most major leagues get straight into group stage. runners up of say, the top 5 leagues also, and then 3rd and 4th have to qualify. Cup winners maybe also get a group stage berth (it is the champions league after all.)

Or 3rd and 4th go straight into Europa, to increase the quality of competition there.

1 Like

It totally read (to me) like you meant those teams specifically, but I get you now, and totally agree about champions of nations getting automatic entry. I do feel that should be a given.

Agree on the middle ground bit too. A return to only champions being in it and only knockout stages wouldn’t work for me, but it’s gonna bit too far in the other direction now perhaps.

1 Like

Barcelona - Roma hahaha. They got the best draw

Sevilla - Bayern Munich

Liverpool Man City, that should be good!

Klopp v Pep games are always going to be entertaining.

Liverpool-Man City is the most exciting tie and we get that at least twice a year anyway haha. Actually think Liverpool may win that over two legs…

1 Like

Real Madrid Juventus a repeat of last year’s final as well.

Juve could win that too as it’s not a final :arteta:

Thank you Sheva for being rapid with this, UEFA bastards love dragging this out.

Pretty underwhelming draw really. City Liverpool the most exciting I guess – in terms of goals anyway. The two league games between them this season have had 12 goals.

Can’t see Liverpool progressing from this, though. I’d imagine Man City were probably the last team they wanted.

Fix making sure British teams are eliminated :wink:

We are set up to get Atletico for sure :joy:

1 Like

Bayern get Besiktas & Sevilla en route to the Semi’s, they get very well compensated for their perennial bunny’s not being in the Round of 16.

1 Like

Poor Juventus! Going out again? City-Liverpool should be a cracker.

That’s the draw City probably didn’t want, but at the same time should without doubt fancy themselves in.

1 Like

Liverpool, 2018 Champions League winners.

1 Like

Did anyone watch the draw on the BT Sport app? Mine was horrendously out of sync and hoping it isn’t like it for the Europa draw

@Burgundy I genuinely think out of the teams remaining Liverpool have the best chance of beating City, even more so than Barca.

1 Like

With Lovren and Karius yeah :joy:

3 Likes

Karius has the most clean sheets in the CL this season :wink:

Was about to say it lol!