The R.I.P thread

who gave him special sympathy?

what is special sympathy?

Sad little man :joy:

@shamrockgooner you should read his PHD thesis on the subject for an explanation.

TBH, I first thought the same, that he was selfish and a coward. But then what if he did what he did because he thought it would be the best for everyone if he wasn’t around? The man was depressed after all. Such people tend to blame themselves for a lot of wrong that happens around them and so maybe he felt he was doing his kids a favour.

2 Likes

“People who say that suicide is selfish always reference the survivors. It’s selfish to leave children, spouses and other family members behind, so they say. They’re not thinking about the survivors, or so they would have us believe. What they don’t know is that those very loved ones are the reason many people hang on for just one more day. They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.
Until you’ve stared down that level of depression, until you’ve lost your soul to a sea of emptiness and darkness… you don’t get to make those judgments. You might not understand it, and you are certainly entitled to your own feelings, but making those judgments and spreading that kind of negativity won’t help the next person. In fact, it will only hurt others”.
-Katie Hurley.

2 Likes

We get it already, you don’t like his music.

You’re in here behaving like a 13 year old who is really trying to be edgy, and it is unbecoming of someone of your intelligence.

Go and masturbate to a Kanye record and save us all the pain of reading your tripe in here.

3 Likes

It’s funny to see abou double down on his weird, outlandish opinions when he gets called out on them. The level of mental gymnastics taking place are really quite impressive haha

4 Likes

Here’s some studies for you @AbouCuellar. Regarding musicians and their intellect. Tip: stop painting yourself into a corner any further.

Cheek, J.M. & Smith, L.R. (1999). Music training and mathematics achievement. Adolescence, 34(136), 759-61.

Hanna-Pladdy, B. & MacKay, A. (2011). The relation between instrumental musical activity and cognitive aging. Neuropsychology, 25(3), 378-386.

Hille, K., Gust, K., Bitz, U., & Kammer, T. (2011). Associations between music education, intelligence, and spelling ability in elementary school. Advances in Cognitive Psychology, 7(7), 1-6.

Kraus, N. (2011). Musical training gives edge in auditory processing. The Hearing Journal, 64(2), 10-16

Wong, P., Skoe, E., Russo, N., Dees, T., & Kraus, N. (2007). Musical experience shapes human brainstem encoding of linguistic pitch patterns., Nature Neuroscience, March 2007, DOI: 10.1038/nn1872

Zendel, B.R. & Alain, C. (2011). Musicians experience less age-related decline in central auditory processing. Psychology and Aging, 2011, DOI: 10.1037/a0024816

Yes yes, that’s all fine, I agree, but I didn’t judge him, or call him selfish.

I also didn’t call all musicians stupid, lol. Just this one.

Correct me if im wrong, but I fear trying to calm an already juvenile conversation with the words ‘go and wank to a Kanye record’ isn’t going to get the desired effect.

Depends very much on what my intentions were

If you can’t beat em, join em?

:santi:

RIP

Loved him in The Sopranos, always disappointed me that he died so early in the show.

I did really enjoy him returning as Finn’s dad alongside Annette Benning in Tony’s dream lol

Plus Home Alone is still one of my favourite films

The fuck, I never had made that connection before for some reason, that he was the crooked cop and then showed up as Finn’s father too…Did they give him different make up or something to look different? Why did I not make that connection?

1 Like

I suspect the make up or whatever was more when he was the alcoholic cop, his appearance in the dream sequence was probably his more normal, clean cut appearance.

Think it was only on my second watch through I clocked it was the same guy and it blew my.mind a bit lol

Yeah, my mind is definitely blown. Was that a connection we were supposed to make? As in were we supposed to realise that Tony was regurgitating him in his dreams? Or were they just kinda re-using actors in a weird way (I noticed I think that the gay fat mobster…forget his name, shows up in the first season as like a random extra before he becomes who he is).

Vito Spatafore. Yeah he popped up in the scene where Christopher shoots the shop boy in the foot, a scene I also love because it echoes Christopher playing Spider in Goodfellas getting shot in the foot when he is serving Joe Pesci drinks.

I think John Heard’s appearance in the dream sequence is meant to be intentional (unlike Vito’s), like you say, Tony regurgitating memories from his past.

1 Like

You sir, are on top of your Sopranos trivia.

Haha I am a bit, when I really love something I’ll rewatch it over and over. On my fourth or fifth watch through of The Sopranos lol, as my gf hasn’t watched it before.

1 Like