U.S. Politics

Sorry @CunningLinguist I wrote this in a rush and I don’t feel like I fully got to expound on my stance so I’ll try and come back to it later today when I get the chance.

All good, mate. Already read it and can fully understand your reasoning. Have a nice day. :wink:

1 Like

I feel like the second half of this sentence is contrary to the wish expressed in the first half.

Trump’s treatment of the press is harmful to the cause of politics and citizenry becoming more moderate and sensible. It’s harmful to democracy as @CunningLinguist said very well in his post.

1 Like

Honestly, I believe that the conduct and uppity attitude of the mainstream press was a huge contributor to the success of Brexit and Trump’s campaigns.

The arrogance and cultural elitism exhibited by many journalists, columnists and media outlets played a significant role in alienating vast swathes of the population.

It is not the medias role to sway or influence elections, or even decide elections (which they tried to in America in Hilary’s favour); their role is to impartially report factual news NOT try to decide who should be president based on their own political beliefs. The faster they learn that, the better for us all.

1 Like

In the instances when this is exactly what they’re doing Trump cries “Fake News” and then you sit here applauding it.

1 Like

They’re only doing it to piss off Trump and get at him, I didn’t see them trying to string up Hilary for her misdemeanours to the same extent because they weren’t being impartial then either.

I think it was cringeworthy and good reporting when that guy called up Trump on his misinformation regarding the size of his electoral voting win, but I still think the overall media have a long way to go before I start trusting them again.

Tbf that’s not going to happen as long as he treats them this way. The reporter asking about anti semitism had a perfectly good question for him, which he struck away within 30 seconds while making it all about himself.

He’s not going to get a satisfying solution out of this as long as he keeps blaming one side and not giving them a chance while blindly believing the other.

The agendas are real. Most media outlets are owned by just a handful of corporations, and they report what they want to report, in order to further their business interests. Hillary was as corupt a pilolitician as they come and these media organiziations were in it to win it with her because they saw their gravy train coming into the station. Trump is a moron, and when he talks about fake news obviously he’s using hyperbole of the highest order. Fuck it, like I said the man is a strange one so maybe he really believes it’s fake, however there’s no way anyone on earth can refute that the media is owned by big business and is used to further their interests only, it’s been that way a long time now. All this talk of him having some sort of master plan to turn the united states into Russia is just the left still massively butt hurt they lost imo.

1 Like

You can’t get an unbiased media anyway.

You need opinions to sell stories. People buy the same papers all the time because they agree with the opinions, not because they agree with the facts.

And once you start picking and choosing which facts are more interesting then it’s just entertainment.

1 Like

Then you’re taking joy in someone trying to stiffle free speech and bully those who dare to report his lies, contradictions and crimes.

He’s gone after journalists who’ve conducted genuine investigative reseach exposing him while cheering corporate right wing propoganga who support him. He’s even gone after the BBC. Yes let’s celebrate that.

Also the fact you’re comparing CNN/MSNBC who have relatively impartial reporting to blatant proganda agencies like Fox and Briebart with their far right editors would simply laughable if missinformed people like you couldn’t actually vote.

Again?
The media has always been owned by big businessman, so the thought that they can ever be trusted is unlikely.

People like Murdoch can make and break politicians, and have done regularly.

In this country, journalists come very low on the list of respected jobs.
They are down there with Lawyers, Politicians, Estate Agents and Bankers.

What have you got against Lawyers pal? It’s a pretty well respected profession infact all of the professions you listed are quite respectable

1 Like

Nevermind Russia, Trump’s action tick most boxes of Fascism 101:

1. Threaten and bully the media
  2. Threaten to lock up political opponents
  3. Attacking judges
  4. Round up minorities with the National Guard (see yesterday’s leak, which the White House declined to comment on)
  5. Attack religious groups
  6. Blatantly racist attacks on minorities
  7. Encouraging supporters to intimidate voters at polling stations.
  8. Nationalism as the key ideology

And fuck me we’re only a month in.

3 Likes

I think no one’s really going to contest that thought, as we all know that certain media outlets follow their own ideas, but at the same time it’s also quite clear that the other side, as in Fox news or Breitbart (or even infowars), are equally as guilty of reporting their own agenda and to this point he’s not been calling them out for being fake news or spreading misinformation as they support his own thoughts.

Calling media outlets that don’t support his own agenda the enemy of the American people is a step or two above that though and even more so as the president of the United States.

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a list anywhere but I’m fairly sure Lawyers and Estate Agents would be very high up on it.

The actions of the opposing side could be classed as facism as well, especially the way they’ve reacted after not getting their way, talk about disrespect for democracy (caveat being the US is hardly a democracy but it’s galavanted around as such). Anyways I’m a lot like Cristo in that I’m not left or right. I actually wanted Bernie Sanders first, of course the corrupt Hillary and the dems slimed their way to the nomination.

1 Like

Except no they couldn’t because you’re too stupid to understand what fascism is and create a false equivilancy, ie ‘Hitler’s predocessors were just as bad’. Please say exactly what fascist actions the Dems have taken in your reply, which I’m sure won’t be forthcoming.

If you even pretend to be a Bernie Sanders supporter who supports Trump you should kill yourself. Either because of mass hypocricy or gross stupidity.

Lol, holy shit what a giant douche you are. And tbh it’s mainly libtards like yourself who are responisble for Trump being president in the first place. And to indulge you, lol no I’m not a supporter of Trump, in fact we had some really fucking poor choices for president but Stein would have been my pick of the four on most ballots.

Here for a quick brush up on why you don’t know what the fuck you are in fact talking about read this article. It’s hilarious some of the comments from you euros who’ve got no fucking clue what our culture is here in the states and how we’ve come to be what we are.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-trump-authoritarianism-fascism-populism-20170217-story.html

Ain’t gonna front, I cut down massively on my media consumption of American News. I used to be an ardent follower of the NYT. I read a few foreign news outlets now. I’ve even got a subscription to the Economist. And the quality is night and day.

3 Likes

Trump is easily the closest America has ever to come to electing a Fascistic leader. All the tendencies are there. Where he deviates from the most obvious examples of Fascism is a complete lack of social awareness. He’s a Kleptocrat, and has no concept of social cohesion or vitality. He strikes me as more of an African despot whose just going to engorge himself on whatever wealth comes his way. Comparing him to a Democrat is absurd. Democrats, just like the Centrist politicians here in the UK, even if they are complicit if not largely responsible for the state of things, including Trumps’ rise, still subscribe to basic notions of rule of law, and would recoil in horror at the racism and illiberal values currently gaining traction. In the absence of genuine political ideology they at least cling strongly to anti-racist ideals; they have a cultural understanding of equality and fairness even if not a political understanding of it. That makes them close to useless, but with Trump I think its going to be a disaster beyond repair.

And I have no idea what the hell a Libtard is? I’ve heard it before, but what does it actually mean?

2 Likes