Thomas Vermaelen

he was pretty much scoring every week in his first season, good times

Iā€™d take the Verminator back in a heartbeatā€¦fighter, decent defender, experiencedā€¦and at the mo we are left with BFG (retiring) Kos (injured again?) Mustafi (wants out), Holding (inexperienced), Chambers (club want to sell)ā€¦worth a punt on Verms in my book

1 Like

Is he gonna be a free agent soon?

Think he will be on a free next Summerā€¦cant imagine they would want a huge fee to get him off wage bill now though, as they loaned him out to Roma last season

1 Like

Heā€™s an injury waiting to happen these days. Weā€™d just be adding a player to the treatment room.

2 Likes

Was watching old highlights and he popped up in an opening day rout at Everton. I feel kind of sad watching him. I think he was definitely a good defender on his day and his body just let him down.

1 Like

There was a stage where he looked dominant and at times imperious. Fan favourite in his first season. Terrible injury problems came along and he was never the same.

Come to think of it, Koscielny-Vermaelen looked an interesting partnership on paper but it never held up. Vermaelen seemed half the player by then. Mertesacker-Koscielny completely took over for a number of years.

1 Like

That was a great start to the season. Denilson opened the scoring with a very good effort if Iā€™m remembering correctly.

Them came that city game a few weeks later :weary:

1 Like

I loved Vermaelen.

Scored some bangers for us and was a good defender.

Shame injuries ruined it for him.

3 Likes

The initial days after signing Vermaelen when he scored 4 goals alongwith his aggressive style of defending were so charming.
I miss that with our transfers these days.

4 Likes

I feel like there was a game against Celtic where Eduardo missed a penalty and Celtic broke on the counter and Vermaelen sprinted the length of the pitch to make a game saving last ditch tackle that was perfectly executed.

Think it was against Scott Brown. Always loved him for that.

You may also love him for this

1 Like

Definitely not true haha

Yeah itā€™s old, but was funny at the time :grin:

1 Like
4 Likes

I was in my nans garden when we signed him

1 Like

Destroyed by injuries.

I love that home shirt heā€™s wearing. Brings back amazing memories of when I studied in London. Meeting new people, running in Hyde park, accidentally eating moldy soda bread because I assumed it was supposed to look and taste like that and isnā€™t it sort of culturally insensitive to assume the bread is moldy, getting sick, going to the GP, getting antibiotics, discovering I was allergic to the antibiotics. It was amazing.

1 Like
2 Likes