Unai Emery

I know I love it. Watching the new stats dashboard on a daily basis :grinning:

1 Like

Wow wow wow~~~~

Chill pal…

With or without Wenger, Arsenal has the quality to be the top 4.

Without managing the team for one single game, I don’t know why you are so sure Emery could not lead the team to a top 4 place.

Emery may be clueless or idea-less, but probably what we need right now is a coach that doesn’t have much new ideas but willing to go for the basics and obvious.

To be frank and fair, PSG did not lose to Barcelona a couple of seasons ago… FUCKING NEYMAR should be sent off by kicking someone’s leg intentionally and dive in the box… he should be sent off twice before his “heroic” comeback.

1 Like

This is a logic that a number of people, like @ljungbergkamp , @morrisc311 , etc. are proffering and for which I’ve yet to see one half-decent argument.

When you actually think about it, it’s tendentious in the extreme. You don’t overcome financial disadvantages wrt to your competitors by hiring an inferior manager to the ones they have, simple as.

While we are getting back to the basics, our competitors will just gain more ground, and all getting back to the basics will achieve is to chip away at the good things Wenger did (re: our reputation for style and class, earned or not at this point, around Europe) and set us further back. We needed someone who could do more, or at the very least have the potential to do more.

And if anyone thinks that’s not possible or realistic, just look at the managers City had before Guardiola-- Mancini and Pellegrini. Two more out of date managers and one more similar to Wenger (Pellegrini) it would be extremely hard to imagine.

I’ll lay out my position here.

I don’t think he will get us back into the top four, if I had to go either way. I think it’s a big ask. But what I could see is him going in two years time leaving us in a better position than we are right now. If he improves the defence and gets our team used to vaguely modern tactical methods, two things Wenger couldn’t do any more, and bridges the gap a bit that has opened up between us and Liverpool and Spurs, that’s progress. If you throw a Europa League win into the pot then that means Champions League football, which means better players and possibly something to attract a better manager with.

I think he’s a short term choice, the two year contract honestly says this to me. I totally expected a minimum of a three year deal for whoever our manager was going to be. I also think the extensive interest in Arteta does seem to indicate that the board are seriously interested in a bold appointment, I think they’ll be on the lookout for someone visionary and fresh to step in at some point in the future once things have stabilised a bit.

So I’m not devastated because I could see him making mild progress in the league, winning something and then being moved on for someone better. To me that seems fairly likely and not unreasonable for what this club currently is. I didn’t dream of Emery and there are others I preferred, by I’m just not buying into your hyperbolic doomsday scenario.

But we all have our own readings of the appointment and really none of us have a fucking clue about what went down and what the key actors were thinking when they made their decisions

9 Likes

He is terrible. Every time I think he’s hit rock bottom in terms of being a pompous gasbag he just proves me wrong.

3 Likes

Can some of us just debate this civilly, it’s getting a bit intense in here

Since you brought out the Pep/Mancini/Pellegrini comparison, I would like to give you the Pep’s Bayern and Pep’s City to discuss.

Position by position, Pep’s Bayern team was on par with the current City team; however, this team was also the most boring, clueless on attack and predictable among all Pep’s team.

Sometimes a manager fits certain set of players and setup. To be fair to Emery, his PSG did play some good football. Their defense were solid, midfield had creativity and good in pressing, and their counter attack was lethal. Lost to Barcelona in the CL shouldn’t discredit everything.

If Arsenal only offers him a 2-year contract, probably means he may be just a transition manager and he has to prove his abilities before getting a long term contract. 2-year transition contract, it is really not that bad.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/999002074363949056?s=20

1 Like

Excellent

Emeryu akbar ! Lets win the prem lads

A transition manager for whom or what? Like we need Unai Emery in order to compete for top four or Europa League victory. Other more promising managers can do that aswell.

1 Like

Instead we would have been giveb madness with Arteta?

The problem is that the board know that after several years of transition and constantly rebuilding the team with Wenger, another few seasons of getting back to basics with Emery isn’t going to bother the supporters that much because of how long we had to put up with so many seasons of stagnation.

The novelty value of having a new manager after seeing the longest serving in Europe leave, will keep the supporters entertained for a while.

Our board will always serve up mediocrity.
They are complacent and unambitious, which has been proved with the way we have been steadily overtaken by all our rivals.
Kroenke has sat by and watched us move from a CL level club to a Europa League club, and done nothing about it except the bare minimum.

In the next transfer window, Liverpool, Man U, Man City and Chelsea will all do better than us, while we will get the usual underwhelming players, and as long as Kroenke is here this won’t change.

2 Likes

i reckon he will have a say, how the fuck would the gutter press know how much of a say the manager would have in transfers…i wouldnt wipe my ass with the sun and mirror

3 Likes

Arteta without having ever managed in his career is considered better than someone who has won cups and leagues in his career :arteta:

2 Likes

Welcome boss. Arteta can go to Everton now.

2 Likes

I see the Madrid hipster is back in form.

1 Like