Unai Emery

Not winning the French League every season with PSG in the current climate is a failure.

No shame in losing the league to an organically built side playing at an extremely high level with a generational talent in the 11.

Then again, he did thrash Monaco in two domestic finals the same year

I guess Pep not beating Monaco over 2 legs in the R16 considering the investment in City is a failure too?

1 Like

Why, the Monaco of 16/17 were better than any PL side in Europe that year, they dumped out City and Dortmund while finishing ahead of Spurs and Leverkuson in their group while beating Spurs who finished 2nd in the PL home and away

Why is second to that Monaco side worse than Guardiola finishing 4th in the PL on 78 points and getting dumped out by said Monaco side?

2 Likes

I suppose you two above have summed up why I’d prefer Jardim, cheers fellas :+1:.

1 Like

It seem pointless comparing Emery’s shortcomings to Pep’s when they are clearly a different class of manager.

Surprised to hear that he’s going to be given a long term contract to be honest

1 Like

I am a lot more comfortable with the thought of Emery as our manager than Arteta, although appointing Arteta had that element of excitement about it, not knowing what to expect from him. I know Emery was not the first choice for many but then what choices did we have? With Allegri looking to stay an Juventus, I think Emery made about as much sense as anyone else.

The problem most fans have is comparing him with a Pep or Klopp or Mourinho or Conte and thinking we might have the least talented man in charge but I think we are jumping the gun a bit. Arsene made a name for himself after coming to Arsenal, why can’t Emery do the same?
Another thing to consider is that just as lot of Arsene’s success was due to the astute wheeling and dealing of David Dein, Emery has Sanlehi and Mislintat, the latter having a reputation of having an eye for young talent. So in the coming season(s), what we see on the pitch will be the combined effort of Emery, Sanleh and Mislintat, instead of just one man, like it has been for 10 years. So really, there is a lot to look forward to.

And let’s not forget, this appointment doesn’t mean we are stuck with him for 22 years. If things don’t work out, we might be in the market in a couple of years again. Or, maybe, this is just a stopgap arrangement, until one of the really big names becomes available. At the end of the day, am just happy that we are moving on from the Arsene era and while we don’t know yet if it’s for the better or the worse, I am for sure very excited.

7 Likes

I was not really chuffed about Arteta but atleast there was a hope of him being good.

With Emery, I am not really excited, very underwhelming but you never know.

Should have gone for Jardim, Monaco’s coach.

3 Likes

@Trion and I agreeing on something :eyes:

1 Like

It’s not really about comparing shortcomings. It about measuring the effect of a Monaco side playing at an extremely high level in 16/17.

Was City not advancing in CL in 16/17 a failure?

He’s not, is he?

Yes it was a failure.

1 Like

@JakeyBoy there is a tweet just above my post that sevchenko posted which suggests that it’s a long term deal. I’m guessing it’s just a rumour at this point but it will be interesting to see :thinking:

@sevchenko definitely a failure. But there’s a difference between going out to away goals in a knockout competition and a league campaign. I don’t want to draw on too much from his time at PSG anyway as it’s a tricky job to take on and ‘succeed’ in. But missing out on any Ligue 1 title considering the gap in quality can’t really be compared to Pep’s first season here.

Yea and Guardiola’s City also got battered in the league, having 3 more points than Arsenal after 100s of millions spent.

It seems it’s okay for Guardiola to completely fail in his first season as long as he succeeds in his second season but when Emery does the treble in France it’s still considered a ‘failure’ despite the fact he did better than Guardiola in his first season.

How was there a gap in quality when Monaco won the league with 95 points :joy:

It’s a failure only judged when measured against the expectations and it has no bearings on his appointment at Arsenal which is a completely different environment.

1 Like

Time for an Unai emoji.

8 Likes

@arsenescoatmaker why does it even matter if Guardiola failed or not? We’re talking about Emery and everyone keeps trying to compare his failure to Pep’s. Yes Pep failed in his first season at City yet it’s safe to say he made up for it this season. If Emery comes here when does anything close to Pep we can brush over anything he did wrong at Sevilla and PSG :joy:

@Gladiator Clearly I meant in squad strength and strength in the transfer market. The Monaco team of 2016-17 had a great young team that virtually appeared out of nowhere, and was built on a budget much smaller than anything Emery had to work with.

As you said and I keep saying, his time at PSG is sort of irrelevant anyway. I just don’t understand the comparisons with Pep’s work at City to Emery’s at PSG

I notice a lot of outlets are reporting him as being our new “manager”. A manager isn’t the same as a “Head coach”. Another steps towards the new structure.

We’ve basically replaced Wenger with five people. Time will tell if it works.

1 Like

Welcome to Arsenal Emery

Looking forward to see what he does here

1 Like

I’m quite sceptical of the new structure tbh

Part of Emery’s success at Seville was finding the right players to suit his system and that was down to Monchi. Let’s see if the new personnel, particularly Sven is up to scratch

What we do this summer will be very interesting, particularly with the existing squad.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for pre-season now. So excited to see how Unai will set up.

5 Likes