Unai Emery

I was just laughing when I saw people say we looked the exact same as last season under Wenger. What match were they watching? You could clearly see a lot of things we were trying to do differently, including the press which worked at times but we couldn’t turn into good enough chances. Against City it was always.going to be hard, but I’ll be a lot more interested to see this in the weeks ahead.

5 Likes

Wenger always looked like he was baffled by bad results but was looking forward to getting home and cracking open a bottle a red.
Emery looks like he wants to get back to the training ground and work it out. He talks more about technical issues and gives the impression he saw everything.

5 Likes

Exactly. He has a big passion for tactics. I love it.

The defence for both double winning side were Graham’s, and the player lifting all those trophies was Tony Adams.

1 Like

So Sol, Lauren, Cashley, Grimandi, Luzhny and Upson were Graham’s signings? Because during that second double Adams started 10 league games that season, Dixon 3 and Winterburn had left. Keown made 21 league starts. It’s hardly Graham’s defense winning the league is it?

1 Like

The 2001-2002 team had only lee Dixon 13apps, Tony Adams 10apps, Martin keown was the only one that had a big impact with 22apps.

Of course 1997-1998 team would still have Graham’s defence, but next double and in game invincibles is Wenger.

1 Like

My original point was that Wenger came to us and had the best defence, possibly in Europe, which needed very little organisation, as well as players like Wright, Platt and Bergkamp.
What has Wenger left for Emery?
The worst defence of all the top clubs, a culture of complacency and players that have been used to playing with very little organisation.

2 Likes

Wenger has left the squad in a mess of a state much like Fergie did at United, but without the 5 league Titles & Champions League title in his final 7 years.

3 Likes

Wenger took over a team with the same amount of points the season before as Emery has. And more points in the last 3 seasons than Graham/Rioch did in their 3 seasons before Wenger took over. So he’s left the squad in as good or in a better state than Graham did.

Points tally’s were a fair bit lower in comparison then though, eg Wenger won his 1st league title with 78 points, that sort of tally would probably have us 3rd or 4th this season.

TBH that was a low points total for a winner back then too

Mislintat and Sanhelli have been here since november/february? That’s quite some time to make an assessment of the squad and decide to make a list of players that really needed to be offloaded. It seems they made a choice to give everybody a second chance in pre-season and are trying to offload players after pre-season has ended. How much of that is on Wenger?

2 Likes

It wasn’t.

It was though, plenty of winners had 80-90 points

I agree Graham had a poor record in the League before he left but in the previous seasons before he left we won the FA cup and League cup double and a European trophy and got to a European final.

The team Wenger has left Emery has no chance of even challenging for the PL title.

I’m not taking away anything Wenger did for us when he first came here, but that was a long time ago, and in recent seasons he is responsible for us trailing behind all our rivals, with very few players that would get into the first teams of any of the clubs above us.

Emery was no where near my first choice as replacement but even Klopp or Guardiola would struggle to get the team we have competing for a top four place.

Manchester United had the lowest point total in 96-97 with 75 points. In 98/99 they had 79 points. Early nineties the League was 42 games.

1 Like

Hope your not counting when it was 42 game seasons, if you are you have to compare by points per game totals.

That’s just nowhere near true though.

You’d think he’s lost his first 5 games!! One game against the best PL team in years!! ffs :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Now your talking
Graham knew how to build a team and get them drilled in defending. No Arsenal fan should dismiss what Graham done nor achieved equally with Wenger .
A solid trophy winning team is built on a rock solid defence. Emery needs to address the defensive issues, what ever the cost .
Personally I’d sign Adams and re-unite him with Bouldy and let those two sort out the mess .
Our attacking midfield and strike force will do the rest

1 Like