Unai Emery

I really wish you’d stop getting triggered and biting to posts made obviously to bait people.

Come on man, surely you can see these things are in bad faith, and you’re wasting your breath by now? Better to just not engage

Maybe 1 but not 3 in quick succession its a mark of a person that knows what he is doing.

https://twitter.com/DezilDezz/status/1031143051685765121

https://twitter.com/DezilDezz/status/1031144506505211905

That Auba miss is painful to watch.

3 Likes

Just to clear some stuff. Unai wasn’t anyone’s b%tch at PSG. He actually had the balls to push a lot of players to the bench. He didn’t care about fitting all the best and most expensive players in the starting XI. If he likes you, you will play. Even if it means someone with better worth sits. You can see this with us too. Laca and Rambo on the bench. Plus, PSG did perform a lot like an Unai side.

Guendouzi through ball :heart_eyes:

:arteta: :auba::giroud:

1 Like

Are there many with three? Because its probably fair to stick to what Maverick actually specified.

2 Likes

Wenger won 3 FA cup titles in recent years, and he had to beat better teams to win those titles. Would anyone still make an argument that he’s a top manager based on this?

They’re about the same level, for me.

Indeed, they played like complete losers as soon as they were up against real top sides. :grin:

1 Like

This is a strawman argument because, at least in the context of this discussion, nobody said Emery was a top manager. Maverick was arguing that he isn’t “a midtable manager”, and imo it is perfectly valid to say that a manager who is only of midtable quality wouldn’t win three Europa Leagues in a short period of time.

2 Likes

Euro is harder than FA Cup for me… more travel, more games including group stage… yeah you might face one top team in the FA Cup, but last one we won, we beat Aston Villa in the final if I am not mistaken… anyway, it is sort of interesting the measuring stick people have for managers… atm there don’t seem to be more than 2 or 3 that everyone would agree are top, top, managers… then there is a tier of “interesting, up-and-coming” guys that have a lot going for them…

Re: Emery, I don’t really understand why people underrate his actual achievements with clubs he had… yeah, it is fair to point to one monumental collapse against Barca and maybe slight underachievement with PSG (still won a ton of trophies and only didn’t win to Ligue Un due to a historic Monaco side)…

Let’s review - 2005 he took over Lorca and helped the club achieve promotion to second division for the first time in its history, while beating a top level side Malaga in Copa Del Rey. Second season (first ever in second division), they finished with 69 points, only 5 points off of promotion to the top flight… they suffered relegation after the manager’s departure.

Then he moved to Almeria in division two and repeated the trick, guiding them to first ever promotion in 2007, then 8th in La Liga in 2007-2008 the year after promotion… he then went to Valencia.

2008-2009 - 6th place and Euro cup despite serious financial problems with Valencia.

2009-2010 3rd place for Valencia and CL. Euro league they lost in QF only on away goals to eventual champs Atletico.

2010-2011 they sold Silva and Villa, they made round 16 in CL and finished 3rd, again qualifying for CL.

2012 - Spartak - only there 6 months but didn’t go well, was sacked.

2013 Sevilla again - got them to 5th, won Euro League.

2014 Sevilla - 5th place again, won Euro League

2015 Sevilla - 7th (playing reserves and kids in the final games after confirming final placement in Euro League final) - won Euro League again, coming from behind

PSG - every one knows the story here. In France he won 5 out of 6 trophies, big failure being 2nd behind Monaco.

What stick out to me is a very respectable “floor” and some very impressive results with underdogs. Valencia CL places with Silva and Villa sales was impressive, as was the Euro triple… and his early career guiding teams to historic new territory shouldn’t be ignored. Spartak, despite being super short-term is a negative, as is PSG in CL… might argue 7th with Sevilla was disappointing, but others know the context there better than I.

I am not saying he was the right appointment, but I don’t quite understand the horror at his appointment either, unless it is simply some sort of more aesthetic/style thing, which personally I find to be way overstated for the vast majority of managers.

3 Likes

IMHO i dont think there are that many ‘top’ managers around anymore tbh. Maureen is not a top manager anymore, Allegri maybe sarri isnt one, pochetteno maybe same with klopp but in general to me anyway apart from maybe pep there isnt many out there that you sit and think wooooooow this guy is top class.

It’s hard to keep track cos we win it so often but that was the time before last :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I was drunk in a Dublin bar for that one =)

Next time we should meet up!

1 Like

We can have detailed discussions about Arsneal financials over Guinness. :+1:

1 Like

Tbh I think its always a bit like that.

It’s not his football. It’s the sense that he might take Arsenal to top four, but at the same time knowing he is not going to elevate Arsenal past that. His League results kind of underline that.

I would be happy if the Emery Era gets us an Europa League. I don’t expect a lot more too happen.

That’s fine though.

A few top 4 finishes and a Europa league, will do fine.

This team cannot win any league titles lol.

2 Likes

In fact, I will do a comparison of Klopp and see - my guess is that you will see lower lows and one or two “higher highs,” but it isn’t a massively different set up… and Dortmund basically had only one giant opponent, where in Spain you have at least 2 that make the rest look like a different league in terms of resources.

One other comment - there are at least 3 giant teams financially we are competing with… . and then Spurs and Liverpool, who aren’t far behind us… and in CL there are at least 5-6 that dwarf us financially… EXPECTING titles and CL just isn’t something even those teams can boast… only one wins the Prem and only one wins the CL. The odds are massively against us regardless of manager.

1 Like

A cup win and top 4 is all I ask for every season tbh