Video technology (VAR) in football

It’s hard to implement in a sport that is free flowing with a lack of “natural” stoppages compared to other sports that use video replay. However, given the pretty shoddy officiating at times, it’s worth a look to help get calls right that effect game outcomes. Perhaps, a video replay within the stadium of what the ref is looking at might help the fans understand what is going on.

Any good reason that another official on the pitch hasn’t been tried? Or if it has in a top flight league I’d be curious as to why it stopped.

Game moves too fast for even the best refs at times. Another official on the pitch and not just on the sidelines could help immensely.

Why not have 4 linesmen instead? More eyes and both have to agree it’s offside. Two main referees is imo a bad idea because they would probably have two different tolerance levels.

Well we’ve had those 2 useless buffoons behind both goals in the cl for a while now. To my mind, they have been effective once, the rest never being a factor in any decision.

More officials just mean more undertrained idiots with preconceived bias.

A robot won’t stop fouls against us from being called because ‘we don’t like it up em’

That would even out over a game though. :sunglasses:

Adding more refs to the game sounds like a suggestion Trump would make.

1 Like

VAR will be fine. There were always going to be teething problems.

2 Likes

3 games a day for ten days or so during the world cup. Thats likely to be a lot of reviews imo and be a turn off for a lot of fans. Going to sink imo in Russia.

VAR would have given us a penalty today.

One of the most stonewallers I have seen, but ref didn’t have video to look at so not given.

https://twitter.com/theReelRyan/status/972849713799225344

So hold on. There’s been VAR in league matches but not ours today?

no, just saying if the league had already implemented VAR, we could have got a pen.

what @shamrockgooner said basically.

I’m confused now tbh

He’s just annoyed var isn’t in the PL basically.

1 Like

I thought there had been some PL games with it?

That’s the source of my confusion lol

Nope, none. Has only been used in the league and FA Cup as far as I’m aware.

Think it’s pretty unanimous that this has been a net success at the world cup so far.

The standard of refereeing has been very good at the tournament, the only 100% errors being the Mitrovic pen not given and Aspas equaliser Vs Morocco.

However, the thing is, the FIFA referee head is Perluigi Collina, widely known as one of the best referees ever.

I had trust in him to get the implementation, if not fully right then at least a decent start with sensible use, which it is.

However, the head of referees in England is bald shlid headed cunt Mike Riley, who wouldn’t know his dick from his elbow.

I do not trust him at all to get the implementation for VAR right.

And with the state of PL refereeing, I can still see many refs who love the smell of their own shit persisting with their original shitty decisions even after consulting the VARs, or just all round using it terribly.

In any case, it won’t be happening this season at least, but they will have to be careful when they do eventually put it in the PL.

Wonder what UEFA will do wrt the CL and EL.

3 Likes

The problem with technology is humans :grin:

While I don’t think it’s been a failure and no where near as bad as I imagined it would be, I don’t think it’s been a complete success either – mainly due to the inconsistency in which it’s been used – the random nature of what is and isn’t sent for review. Though, i’m sure that over time that’s something that will improve.

There’s also a problem with “subjective” incidents. There have been several where even after viewing VAR the referee has made the wrong decision or a decision that many disagree with. Perhaps VAR should just be used for what it was advertised as, to correct “clear and obvious” errors.

2 Likes

The EPL really needs to do everything it can to increase the officiating standard in the league. The officiating really is piss poor across the board. With all of the money coming in from TV contracts around the world, the FA should realize it needs to have top refs. Maybe one of you can explain to me why the FA is so resistant to change.

I wasn’t expecting it but I’ve been actually enjoying the extra stoppages and anticipation of the video decision.

4 Likes

4 Likes