What was the last book you read?

Awesome I’ve been trying to find something like that to read about it, cheers

Slash’s biography in italian.

I’m starting this today.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51iovoTj2JL.SX328_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

3 Likes

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Quite a long read but awesome world building if you’re into fantasy. The way he tied it up in the end really makes for a satisfying read. There’s also companion books written from different perspectives which are meant to be great too but I feel like delving into something different right now.

1 Like
2 Likes

Google play books gave me a £3 discount for any book so I decided to get Ray Parlours autobiography for £1.99

Really enjoying it so far!

Wenger is all I know so reading all about George Graham was interesting. Seemed a top manager. that all the players liked. Shame he fucked it with the bungs. Interesting when the assistant was made the caretaker Ray said the players didn’t want him to be the manager. Was this noticeable at the time?

Just like the above post from May Google play books gave me a £3 discount for any book so for something to read on my afternoon break in work and waiting for the train home I got Ian Wrights autobiography. Really enjoying it! it’s also letting me get to know Ian as a player for arsenal as he was way before my time as an arsenal supporter. If you haven’t read it I really recommend it! :sunglasses:

A brief history of nearly everything (Bill Bryson)

Fantastic read

Recovery by Russell Brand

Just bought this one on kindle for 99p

From 58 -72. 11 different teams won the league title.

I know its a comic but I’m just reading Watchmen for the first time and its just brilliant. If anyone else has any comic book/graphic novel suggestions I’d be grateful

1 Like

Love this trilogy, the ending also took me completely by surprise and was I cheering like an idiot. The magic system was also really unique.

His new Stormlight Archive series is fucking incredible too. Kaladin is already one of the coolest characters I’ve ever come across in a book.

Brandon Sanderson is probably my favourite author right now. He also finished off the Wheel of Time series which most people regard as one of the all time great epic fantasies, and was obviously held in very high regard by the late great Robert Jordan.

If anybody else is into the genre, I can’t recommend Malazan Book of the Fallen highly enough. Hands down my favourite fantasy series ever. So many amazing characters, Karsa Orlong, Fiddler, Kalam, Quick Ben, Tool, Anomander Rake, Kruppe and the amazing Tehol / Bugg bromance, the list goes on and on.

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you liked it too. And I’ll take you up on the Stormlight recommendation, people on goodreads have been raving that it’s his best book by far.

I have Malazan on my ‘to read’ list as well. I’ve strayed away from the genre a bit this year in favour of reading something a bit different, to mix it up so when I do go back to a big fantasy novel, I’m ready to have my mind blown.

1 Like

Don Winslow - The Power of the Dog
and
Don Winslow - The Cartel

1 Like

This is such a good book. I’m waiting for his new one to hit shelves in paperback, fuck spending nearly £20 on a hardback that’s a pain in the arse to carry around.

1 Like

ANYTHING by Alan Moore.

V for Vendetta, the whole League of Extraordinary Gentleman series (this one is particularly good), Necronomicon, Batman: The Killing Joke. I haven’t read The Swamp Thing yet, but I have it and it’s supposed to be really good.

But yeah, I’d be all over The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen if I were you, loads of cool references to 19th Century fictional characters like Orlando (the immortal hermaphrodite), Dorian Gray, Jekyll and Hyde, Captain Nemo etc.

Plus the art work is just fucking sick. I know they’re expensive, but it’s worth getting all of the ELoG stuff brand-new because there’s a ton of like world building inserts and stuff that might have gotten lost or fallen out if you buy them used or get them from your library and they’re totally worth it.

But yes, Watchmen is fantastic and super awesome.

Recovery by Russel Brand.

Fantastic so far.

@SwissGooner @JakeyBoy

One of my favourite authors. Love The Winter of Frankie Machine too.

Yeah I really enjoyed this one too. I heard rumours like 10 years back that it was going to be made into a film with De Niro in the lead role. Not sure what happened to that but it sounded like perfect casting :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Yeah it was in the works for a while but nothing ever came of it. De Niro would have been an ideal lead too.