Who will be the next manager?

hmm this is fun. Tony Adams?

Wouldnā€™t bother me if it was him as heā€™s not Wenger but it wonā€™t be so this is pointless. :+1:

well, there goes my fun. :smile:

Ha this is like what they were asking on Arsecast - which current Premier League managers would have done worse with our squad than Arsene this season? And their only answer was David Moyesā€¦ Paul Clement it is then :sunglasses:

[quote=ā€œshamrockgooner, post:606, topic:1210, full:trueā€]
Every chance we sign a big established, proven quality manger. The club has no MO either way given that itā€™s 20 years since we made such an appointment.
[/quote]We had Dein then, who was responsible for getting Wenger.
But now we have people like Kroenke and son, as well as Gazidis, who just arenā€™t as clued up.
I just hope Kroenke doesnā€™t have any part in the decision of who the next manager is.

[quote=ā€œJakeyBoy, post:613, topic:1210ā€]
Iā€™d love Allegri but Iā€™m not expecting anything (if Wenger even leaves!), but thereā€™s a tier below that who youā€™d think we should be able to attract who would be a big step up above someone fairly unknown coming from a small club.
[/quote]The problem we have, is that if we go for the next tier manager, we will fall further behind.
All the other top clubs in the PL have top quality managers so if we donā€™t get the same, we can wave goodbye to CL football.[quote=ā€œOliver, post:614, topic:1210, full:trueā€]
our poor season isnt a fair reflection of our status, potential or attraction to new managers imo.

We were 2nd last season, 3rd before that. Have a modern stadium, a huge fanbase and we are monumentally huge club/commercial powerhouse that is only going to get bigger.

A tactically competant manager would (id imagine) take our exact squad and do wonders, and the premise that we require a full rework from the ground up is a tad premature at this stage.

Neither Chelsea or United have collapsed or lost any kind of status after their bad season(s), why would we?
[/quote]I agree.
I donā€™t think we are as attractive as Man U or maybe Chelsea or Man City who have massive spending potential but we are still one of the most profitable clubs in Europe.

We have the advantage over a lot of other European clubs because we have a massive fan base, we would pay more wages than almost any other top European club, a new stadium, we are in London and we have plenty to spend on transfers.
Also, unlike other top European clubs, there is stability here that others donā€™t offer

Compared to most top clubs, there canā€™t be many that are more attractive than us.
Iā€™m sure, if the board really wanted to, they could get Allegri.
But whether they have the same ambition as the supporters is the question.

If we get Allegri, or choose to keep Wenger, or even go for a cheaper inexperienced manager like Howe, we will know what Kroenke is all about.
I think when the board have made their decision, we will find out the true ambition of the club.

None of this is necessarily true. Pochettino wasnā€™t a top manager when Spurs got him, Klopp wasnā€™t in that very highest bracket when he went to Liverpool, he never has been in that bracket.

Mourinho, Conte and Guardiola actually fit into that category. Conte has been an unqualified success but the other two have both had disappointing seasons. Guardiola didnā€™t spend money wisely enough neglecting his defence and was poor in Europe and disappointing in the league. If Mourinho wins the Europa League itā€™ll be a decent/good season for them, but they have been massively disappointing in the league. They spent all that money and most pundits and fans pre season had them as challenging for the title and they havenā€™t even been remotely close to that. If we had just had a regularly shit season instead of a catastrophically bad one weā€™d have finished above both of these ā€œtop quality managersā€

The idea that not appointing what we seem to class as being an elite manager (how many of them are there anyway, 5 or so?) means we are guaranteed to fall further behind is completely wrong headed imo. The point is that Sampaoli/Emery etc arenā€™t currently considered of the very top tier, but they have won things and had impressive spells and in the right circumstances could go on to even greater things. But they also might not. No managerial appointment is without risk and youā€™ll sit here complaining that we havenā€™t got a top class manager like Pochettino (I assume from your post that you are putting him in that bracket too) whilst being unwilling to recognise that you need to take a calculated risk in appointing someone like him in the first place and letting him prove himself.

8 Likes

Couldnā€™t have said it any better.

I donā€™t understand this whole fear of falling further behind. Further behind what? 6th place? Or a distant 2nd or 3rd or 4th in the league. Or being humiliated in the CL season after season. All I know is, if you arenā€™t in it to win it, it doesnā€™t matter where you finish and from that point of view, we cannot fall ā€œFurther behindā€, unless you fear relegation, which I think can be ruled out.

I certainly include Pochettino in that list, and spurs took a calculated risk on him, but the fact is they, like the other top PL clubs, have all got some of the best and most experienced managers in Europe, so to have the best chance of competing we must get the same.

We cannot afford to take a punt on an inexperienced manager, and why should we?
We have the resources and should go of the best out there.

We are already on a downward curve and we donā€™t want to fall even further by taking a punt on someone who might turn out okā€¦

I know there is no guarantee that Allegri would succeed here, just as there is no guarantee that someone like Howe would fail.
But all I know is that any top club in Europe, with the choice for proven experience or potential, would go with proven experience, that is why they are top clubs.

Wengerā€™s example of buying potential rather than proven talent, on most transfers, has got us into this mess.
Letā€™s not repeat the same mistake when choosing a manager.

We are we are potentially a massive club, and we have the money to become bigger, so we should be going for the best, and Allegri fits that bill.

1 Like

Indeed, why should we? Iā€™m talking about a tier of managers who have a wealth of experience, I thought that was clear from my post. They just arenā€™t considered one of the best 5 managers in the world.

I donā€™t think anyone is actually advocating appointing a manager with no experience, unless Iā€™ve missed that.

Itā€™s all well and good going on about getting Allegri, but thereā€™s a very real chance that heā€™ll go nowhere or not want to manage us if he does leave Juve, in which case we will have to take a calculated risk of sorts in appointing someone in the bracket below.

[quote=ā€œJakeyBoy, post:633, topic:1210ā€]
Indeed, why should we? Iā€™m talking about a tier of managers who have a wealth of experience, I thought that was clear from my post. They just arenā€™t considered one of the best 5 managers in the world.

I donā€™t think anyone is actually advocating appointing a manager with no experience, unless Iā€™ve missed that.

Itā€™s all well and good going on about getting Allegri, but thereā€™s a very real chance that heā€™ll go nowhere or not want to manage us if he does leave Juve, in which case we will have to take a calculated risk of sorts in appointing someone in the bracket below.
[/quote]I understand that you didnā€™t think we should go for an inexperienced manager but I still think we should do everything we can to get Allegri, or Simeone.
Iā€™m sure we can offer him a lot more than he is getting in Italy, and also a chance for him to compete in the biggest league in Europe against the best managers.
We are going to be the only big club in the PL looking for a manager, so if we can tempt him with higher wages, a higher transfer budget and an opportunity to compete with the best, Iā€™m sure he would take it.
Whether our board have the same ambition, Iā€™m not so sure.

I certainly agree with you about Sampaoli and Emery, as well as Jardim and even Koeman but only if we have tried everything to get Allegri or Simeone.

Personally I think the next appointment might be quite underwhelming, because I donā€™t think our board are committed to the success of the club, apart from profit, but I hope Iā€™m wrong.

1 Like

Thereā€™s very little difference to the profit of a club with a turnover in the hundreds of millions between a coach on 8m and a coach on 4m.

Weā€™ve no indication that theyā€™ll skimp on cost when it comes to a coach. If you believe Wenger has all the power at the club then you believe this is a club who absolutely cares about having what they think is the best man, even if heā€™s expensive.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œCraigie, post:635, topic:1210, full:trueā€]

Thereā€™s very little difference to the profit of a club with a turnover in the hundreds of millions between a coach on 8m and a coach on 4m.

Weā€™ve no indication that theyā€™ll skimp on cost when it comes to a coach. If you believe Wenger has all the power at the club then you believe this is a club who absolutely cares about having what they think is the best man, even if heā€™s expensive.
[/quote]Itā€™s not so much the wages of a manager that the board will worry about, itā€™s what type of manager he is, and how much he will want to spend on new players.
So, for instance, there is no way we would get someone like Mourinho, because he would want a budget way more than our board are willing to spend, to be successful.

But someone like Allegri or Pochettino, who have been fairly successful without going mad in the transfer market would be our board"s type of manager, not that we are going to get Pochettino.

If we offer Allegri double what he is earning to come here, perhaps he might be persuaded, if we can keep hold of Ozil and Sanchez.
But we also have to rely on no other top European club being interested as well, especially a club that will offer him massive wages as well as giving him the funds to buy the best players.

And if they reject us? I think itā€™s safe to rule Simeone out for this summer. He wants to coach in the new stadium before he leaves.

Youā€™re probably right.
But it will show the determination of our board to get the best person for the job.
Man City, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool seem to have got who they went after, and spurs and Everton have also got top managers.
With us being the only top PL club needing a manager and having the money to do it, as well as having one of the biggest fanbases in Europe and being in London, it can and should be done.
Everyone has their price, and we will be playing catch up, unless we get the best.

But, like you say, itā€™s unlikely, and itā€™s because our board donā€™t have the ambition.

I was under the impression we were supposed to be a sleeping giant, not a fucking comatose giant.

At the moment it feels like a dormant dormouse!

Never going to be a popular choice but I wouldnā€™t mind Marco Silva if weā€™re looking to take a punt on a manager. Achieved good results everywhere and heā€™s even managed to take Hull on the brink of safety (1 win and 1 draw should be enough to keep them up providing Swansea donā€™t get a good result today at Everton).

1 Like

Would absolutely love Silva here!

Marco Silva getting one of the best jobs in european football based on half a season? And people turned their nose up at Rafa cause???

1 Like

Yeah I wouldnā€™t mind taking a risk on him. Could do very well.