Who would you like to replace Arsène Wenger?

It’s probably gonna be Allegri. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Lol! That’s the reason why they want a cheap manager. Fucking cunts.

You’ve changed your tune. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah exactly.

We’ve got a sleeve sponsor coming in, new kit deal, new emirates deal, we take at least 40-50m on the gates every season not too mention all of our other sponsorship and tv deals and the possibility of CL tv money.

If a new manager really only has £50m to spend after all of that and years of austerity we’re in trouble.

5 Likes

There’s no way there is actually only 50m to spend. It’s simply not true.

3 Likes

Yeah we’ll have +30m CL revenue next year :mustafi:

Say yes. Thanks.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a candidate ruled out then

Good don’t want the Italian Wenger when we’ve finally managed to get rid of the French one!

The Italian Wenger is a lot more successful than the French one is though

2 Likes

Football’s nothing like it was in that era where someone with methods like Wenger could for example bring in unheard of talents. If we make a bold move this time around, they will have to be in relation to the conditions out there now. And while that may sound obvious, it definitely means they will be nothing like Arsene Wenger.

Process of elimination will basically tell us who our manager will be before Arsenal can get around to releasing the info.

Ancelotti and Tuchel off the market.

£50m before transfers seems perfectly reasonable. We’ll need to sell to buy players anyway and hopefully can get an extra £30m from CL qualification :+1:

The next manager doesn’t need to be an all-known and do-it-all type of guy. Arsenal didn’t hire a head of recruitment for no reason. I’m sure Sanhelli also has relations with agents that could lead to something. I think Wenger wasn’t fond of working together with certain agents, that might be a new opening for us in player recruitment. The new Arsenal manager will work in a different set-up than Wenger. Where his knowledge of the game, both on technical, tactical and physical level, will have more importance than his roll in player recruitment.

1 Like

Realistically though, how many players can we afford to sell? We got rid of a lot of dead wood and I’ll be surprised if we can get the same amount for Xhaka and Mustafi and Laca as we paid for them. Any other players we get to replace them will be at a serious premium too.

Plus any new keeper we get will be a lot more than we can get for Ospina. Welbeck and Iwobi won’t fetch much either and then we’re seriously low on players.

And we aren’t getting anything for Mertesacker either so if we sell mustafi it means we’ll need two cbs.

1 Like

Whatever out financial situation I think it’s clear we can be spending major money ie £60m without sales or improved competition money.

It’s now obvious we have to come up with smarter solutions in the transfer market and with squad management

It’s also likely that the new manager won’t be on £9m a year like Wenger. He only got that because he was Wenger.

Mertesacker is retiring and we really shouldn’t offer Cazorla a new deal. Right now we have six or seven CBs at the club. Plus we have seven players out of loan. There is a lot of fat to get rid of in our wage bill. I reckon a new goalkeeper will also be on less than Cech for example (this would be different if we sign somebody like Oblak but that will never happen). We’re not in a bad situation.

1 Like

£50m doesn’t sound like a lot (nor do we know the veracity of the figure) but you’d hope that we can raise more cash from selling a combination of Ospina, Mustafi, Iwobi and Welbeck. We’re also likely to lose Wilshere and Cazorla off the wage bill. Then you have random loan players like Jenkinson, Lucas, Campbell and even Akpom we could shift for a bit of cash (although I haven’t checked if any of them are free agents this summer).

As well as cash, that gives the new manager plenty of squad space to fill with his own players.

On the other hand, a new manager needs time to assess his squad. We may not see Welbeck or Iwobi get sold after just a few weeks under a new manager. And players like Ospina and Mustafi who appear to be discontented, may indeed want to stay and prove their worth under a new manager.

I’m hoping for a bit of ruthlessness from the new guy. The squad needs to be revamped in central defence and central midfield. I’m just adjusting my expectations that not all of the deadwood will be sold off in his first transfer window.

6 Likes

This.

Also have some decent youth to promote from within - I’d be happy to see AMN, Nelson and Nketiah get their chance as part of the first team squad.

My minimum shopping list:

Young (class) GK
Experienced CB in their prime (biggest outlay)
PL proven midfielder who can partner Xhaka and Ramsey (that Watford chap for example seems v. attainable)