Who would you like to replace Arsène Wenger?

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/988693500916101121

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/988694797215989760

Enrique on £16m a year?!? lololol

Arteta for a pint of Brewdog and 2 packets of Tyrell’s salt and vinegar a year it is then

1 Like

Very concerning developments. I’m very dubious of Ivan now.

This was his big moment to prove his worth but It seems Gazdis is too dogmatic for my liking. Seems to value of phoney sense of principles ahead of meritocracy.

I thought his press conference was largely lip service but he seems committed to a set of faux ideals based on an idealised version of Wenger when it comes to who should next manager and what this club should be post wenger. The reality this club needs cold hard pragmatism

Arteta is not the way forward for this club.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if two seasons working under Guardiola is anywhere near enough. Sure, Guardiola is the best coach in the world by a country mile, and Arteta definitely seems to have a future in coaching, but now would be way too early. People forget that Guardiola retired in 2001 then went to Mexico, Qatar, and Italy to gain experience in different parts of the footballing world. He didn’t just stop playing football, coach Barca B then go onto to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I don’t think that our board would take such a massive gamble though, I think it’ll be Enrique.

5 Likes

Hope its not Enrique, garbage record at Roma & Celta. Yeah he had success with a front 3 of Messi, Suarez and Neymar but that doesn’t fill me with confidence.

From that article you posted:

I listened to him on the Euro football leagues podcast and he added that Bayern players were “running through the smoke” :joy: and he also said that Ancelotti would be the “worst possible appointment”. To which the likes of Pardew and Big Sam were added to the conversation. Honigstein clearly not a fan of old Carlo :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Yeah I’m not entirely convinced by him either. I have a feeling he’ll be the one that we opt for in the end though

He was on £10mil at Barca they must mean he would be seeking £16mil a year which I think is bollocks, not even Jose was on that before he signed his new deal at United. Also Pep earns around that figure at City, these journalists have to print something…anything now that Wenger is off.

@sevchenko: This seems a lot of bullshit to me, by all accounts Ivan wants to go in a different direction to Wenger and a futile attempt to preserve him in appointing a manager just seems nonsensical. What we need is someone that is almost the antithesis to Wenger in how he operates and approaches the game and I sincerely hope he realises this.

1 Like

With @Cristo’ process of elimination Arteta wouldn’t be the biggest surprise. Simeone and Allegri just extended last summer. Tuchel goes to PSG, Ancelotti goes to Italy and so on.

1 Like

I’m starting to believe Ivan is a PR guy who does things to get the fans on side and nothing more. That’s why I can see us getting Arteta or Vieira in because he thinks signing an ex player will appease the fans.

It won’t. Bring us a good manager with proven credentials and let us get on with it.

3 Likes

I get what you mean but looking at whose available that would be Conte and Enrique (it’s dead quite around Jardim). For me those are not exciting appointments.

Yeah I don’t think there is any manager who would appease all the fans. Some fans want an ex player, some don’t. Some fans like Allegri, some don’t. Some fans want an up and coming manager, some don’t. Some want a manager who’ll sort out our defence like Simeone, some want a more exciting attacking manager.

If he is a PR guy then he is a shit one if he thinks Vieira and Arteta will get the fans on side. Allegri is the one that will do that.

Also the cheek of Enrique asking for £16mil lol.

Why is Allegri not even being mentioned though. A bit of a disgrace imo.

https://twitter.com/HandofHenry/status/988696037366824960

From the article above. Much more palatable. @shamrockgooner I have changed my time tbh I’ve moved from ‘anyone’ to ‘allegri’ but I feel like I’ll be disappointed. We have to learn from Moyes ffs.

Tbf Ornstein who is the most reliable is the one that said about Allegri so I’m chilled a bit.

Also I heard Tedesco doesn’t actually play that attacking a type of football. Is that true?

In any case we won’t know for sure until this week, where the boys will start discussions with the candidates.

Also maybe only until after the managers find out how we do in Europa, and get into the CL. The increased money and prestige could be a game changer.

Imo that £50 m story is a load of shit, it was £75 m just a month or so ago.

We broke our transfer record and spent £50 m on a striker then went and broke it again by spending £60 m on another striker. It shows we have some serious financial firepower no matter what the board do to brief or say otherwise.

1 Like

He extended his contract last summer like I said.

Maybe Gazidis and co. want Arteta/Henry/Vieira because they want someone who is easier to control and will do their bidding more than old grumpy bastard like Allegri who will want more and deserve more control over things.

Still all just bs rumour to me so far though.

2 Likes

So no Carlo to us. Sarri is my first choice, then Jardim.

Lol! So why did they force him out? Just keep him.

It’s only very concerning if you give it any credence.

Now I’m not categorically saying that it is bullshit, but at this stage there’s no reason for me to take it as being the truth either.

I’m not entirely sure why you’re taking it at face value if I’m honest, we are in the peak ITK/speculative reports bullshit stage of proceedings right now.

5 Likes

Rumours of very limited transfer budget so really won’t matter who takes over

The battle that was for fourth now looks like a battle for sixth in future seasons

Agreed. However two of the massive favorites on these boards just extended their contracts at the beginning of this season. And for another one, it has been reported the only thing that has been missing, is the official announcement of his new job at PSG. Leaving the not so exciting options out there.