Brain injury expert calls for ban on heading in football

A good idea, but surely kinda nonsense? Like if you’re training corners and you’ve headed 10 already today, do you sit out the rest of the session?

Or do you get stuck on the half way line?

Or is the fact that it’s reached Maguire’s face enough, and he can dodge it and assume he would have scored?

Or does some coach have to simulate a corner by throwing it from a much shorter distance and they continue heading as normal?

I’d be interested to see data on how many headers happen in training and what limiting it to 10 really means.

I’d advocate zero heading in training and make it exclusive only to match days. It’s needless damage and clearly very detrimental to long term health. Too far gone to remove it from the game though.

Then we’ll have VAR involved when it’s questionable if a headed goal was intentional or if it just went in off someone’s noggin or neck, as in where does the head end and the neck start. Fucking hell.

It’s just for training mate, they’re not implementing limitations on heading in actual matches :grin:

Yet.

The neck is also a legal part of the body to make contact with the ball, so I doubly don’t understand your hypothetical tbh mate haha

But, as I said, where, for delineation purposes, does the neck end and the head begin? No worries, VAR will have all the lines all over it. Fuck, this isn’t an item yet, so, yeah, just hypothesising. Oh well, it’s what makes OA go round. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure :+1:

1 Like

This is actually really good news. I’m all for the banning of heading during a game of football.