PL Title Race 23/24

We need to win all games up to the international break (high chance Chelsea gets postponed) and then get a result at the Etihad to have a chance. Even then it will be tough with our run in.

IMO, we are playing better right now than we’ve ever played under Arteta, including the fall of last season. We’re peaking at the right time, just need to sustain that while getting some players back and keeping others healthy.

6 Likes

Question from me, if we manage to push Liverpool/City till the end and actually improve on our points and goal tally, yet we fall short, would people still be proud of our season?

I am hoping that the players have learnt from last season and have felt the pain of coming so close but werent good enough. The way they have been playing recently feels like they have made the determined decision of playing their guts out and taking teams out as quickly as possible. Once they have an advantage they are making sure they are dead and buried. If they carry on with what they are doing i feel they can make it this time.

Of course.

We have to get over the line at some point but showing that last year wasn’t a fluke was really vital this year.

More broadly, I think the football we’ve played this year is a lot more sustainable than the football we played last year.

I’m a lot more confident in our chances of winning a title at some point in the next 2-3 years than I was last July.

2 Likes

How could we not be?

Repeating what we did last season was always going to be difficult. Doing it alongside a CL campaign (assuming we don’t flop to Porto) is impressive even after the 200m spent. We’ve then lost HUGE players for half the season or more.

Can’t expect to win a title, but to be in the mix all the way is a good season. Only negative is the domestic cups as usual.

1 Like

Thought that we’d blown our chance last season, but to not only be in the race but doing so looking more assured in our games, think we have as good a chance as any to go all the way this time around.

Also, don’t think there’s much doubt left anyway, but to be there in the title race two consecutive seasons, Arteta is the real real deal. Need him here for years to come no matter what happens this season.

2 Likes

I’m not going to get into analysing the remaining fixtures for each three teams and predicting who will win which games and where these sides might falter, there’s just too much margin for error in doing that and using your prediction of 36 individual matches to decide who will win the league.

I’m going strictly off vibes, and something just tells me that this will be our year!

6 Likes

Been watching too much love island chap

1 Like

Although we’ve gone through a bad patch, we are the in form team.
We’ve got a young side competing against Man City, who are the biggest cheats in Europe, who could have the title taken away if they win it, and Liverpool, who won’t be the same when Klopp leaves.

Unless we finish a long way off the top, this would be arguably our best season since we’ve been at the Emirates because we’ll have had two consecutive seasons going for the title, playing great football, with the best squad since we last won the PL.

2 Likes

Ultimately this is going to come down to whoever has the momentum in the run in. City have been like a machine in past seasons, and Liverpool done the same when they beat City to the league in 2019-20. Given our current form, I’m not sure how many teams would want to play us atm. Personally, I think it helps that we aren’t out in front atm and that most pundits are focused on Liverpool and City as favourites. If we can keep the form and run going we can definitely do it.

3 Likes

It’s a good point raised by @Trion. There are 2 gameweeks coming up where we could go top before Liverpool and City play.

A draw between City and Liverpool in their big game puts us in prime position.

We absolutely should not be slipping up against Sheffield United (A) or Brentford (H) either.

Chelsea (H) after that is another one we absolutely should be winning (they’re fucking 11th lol).

The game at the Etihad is the one I fear. That’s the game where our bottle / resilience / mentality will be ferociously tested. 5 pints and 3 doubles in before a ball is kicked.

5 Likes

Maybe that is where the win against them earlier in the season might help. Hopefully it will show the team and make the team feel and know that they are beatable and have done it already. We might not win but a draw would be handy too.

I feel strangely optimistic about getting at least a point at City.

6 Likes

Look if we manage to get 85 + points and a GD of close to + 50 it’s hard to not be proud of the season tbh. That’s title winning level or thereabouts.

It’ll be 2 seasons of being a genuine contender, so that over a 5 year period and I believe our day in the sun will arrive and we’ll get over the line at some point.

1 Like

Cough cough

wtf we’re in it to win it you fucks.

we’ll win it so hard we’ll win Serie A by accident on the way, watch this space

9 Likes

Liverpool should win it from here to be honest.

They should but they won’t :grinning:

They do have the kindest run home, if they win it with a far weaker midfield than Arsenal and City it’ll be rather frustrating.

Let’s hope not! Can’t stomach fake scousers running around all giddy this summer.

1 Like