Squad Management

Are you okay with a few shit years though?

Not making a point at you personally. It’s just Arsenal needs to be constantly challenging for honours or else it’s deemed a failure. I don’t believe anyone that says “let’s gut the squad, start again and build up for a couple of seasons”. We want / need / are conditioned for success all the time, and when we don’t get it it’s “X is a cunt” “Y out” etc. Rinse and repeat.

I appreciate tonight’s not the night to be making this post so I apologise :see_no_evil::laughing:

Personally I’m happy with the lowered expectations and giving Unai his 2nd and probably final year, sad tho that is to admit

2 Likes

Tbh we’re already going through them, so what’s a few more if we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Obviously shit years for the sake of shit years is unacceptable

Ehhh. Beat Napoli. Beat Valencia. Easily. Both clubs are in the CL. We might not be in the running for actually winning that thing, but better than 90% of the clubs that will participate next season. Tonight’s game was a disgrace of a performance.

2 Likes

Well any progress you try to make with a new policy just wont get started as other teams just buy the new players off you.
Its fine in theory but nobody has the patience or trust in this model bringing the desired results, outside of a Bournemouth or Southampton.

2 Likes

It was said a few years back… when we had the money, when we were top 4…

Core players going to age, to retire, to get injured, or even leave.

This fucking management just care about the CL money but never really did anything to sustain it, after purchasing Ozil and Sanchez.
They just fucking occupying the seats from the board, and made bad decisions one after another.

Now, Per is retired, Kos is done, Ramsey leaving for free, Ozil is playing shit after the extension, our wide players sucks… Only the Leno and Torriera transfers were good.
So many holes to fill now… and we only have about 40m in summer, and re-sale value of our players are not high…

The first group to leave the club are not our players, but the owner and the whole fucking management.

5 Likes

The fact that Arsenal didn’t invest is rubbish, The business that Arsenal has been doing just hasn’t worked out. Maybe a minor, but I think important difference.

3 Likes

Investment involves planning, vision, risk taking…
Of course the club did spend money on buying players. What we are saying here is, a step further, doing more, NOT JUST BARE MINIMUM.

Or stop executing like you are the three stooges…

1 Like

Why do you believe that they only did the bare minimum?

what are squad needs at the moment is a fifa career mode moment, sell loads of the players and just bring in loads to replace/better them, we get a decent amount on fifa compared to real life, such a shame that all of this is impossible because that’s what our current squad needs

What we should do is sell all the unwanted players that is possible and then bring in a few smart/realistic signings and go for a few gamble ones for as bigger money as possible that we have, we need to pretty much start again

1 Like

@SDGooner

If you two think our management did enough, buy enough, I am fine with that. We did buy a few last summer. JUST last summer

Not saying we did or didn’t, but we have out netspent Pool and destroyed Spurs in last 4-5 years.

There is a difference between doing enough business and doing the right business. One doesn’t equal the other.

Yep and we did a lot of the wrong kind, including contract management.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to post this. This thread seemed as good a place as any :smile:

7 Likes

Our squad got a much needed vallet

Have to applaud the effort regarding squad management this summer. It was never going to be possible to fix things in one but Raul and co did not fuck around. I feel next season we’ll have a serious campaign with or without Emery.

And to think fans we’re crying like babies in the Q&A weeks before

1 Like

Positions we are all set
GK - Leno, Martinez
LB - Tierney, Kolasinac

Overfilled Positions (Need some to Fuck out)
CB - Luiz, Mustafi, Saliba, Mari, Holding, Chambers, Sokratis

Could be improved
RB - Bellerin, Cedric, AMN (Not quite keen on Cedric)
Attack - Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, Nelson, Aubamyang, Lacazette, Nketiah

Need desperate addition
CM - Xhaka, Ceballos, Torreira, Guendonzi, Willock, Ozil

Future is doubtful over Ceballos, Ozil, Guendonzi. Torriera can’t seem to stamp his claim. We severely lack creativity and strength in midfield.

We really need to invest in midfielders.

Resign Ceballos, Find Ozil/Santi replacement, Keep Auba is minimum we should do.

2 Likes

Ideally here’s what would happen.

Gk - good options no action needed.

Defense - sell Mustafi for around 25m (maybe?) and promote Saliba. Our options otherwise are fine. I rate Sokratis but Luiz/Saliba going forward is probably good there.

Full Backs - I’d love to get rid of Kolasinac for like 15m and raise some funds. Tierney is our starter there and if we go back to a 4 at the back we will have AMN and Saka who can deputize if needed, plenty of options, plus Osei-Tutu has been impressive on loan in Germany and was in the first team training this week, maybe time to promote him.

Midfield - ouch we suck here. Willock is a good bench option, keep. Torreira would be good in a 3 man midfield, keep. I fucking detest Xhaka and in my dream world we get rid right now while he’s still got value, and been in good form. Reckon we could get 25m for him or so. Then u sit down and have a heart to heart with Guendo and get him back into the team. Sign Partey for 40m (there are better options but the club seem smitten with him), and try and get Ceballos back on loan or buy for 30m.

Attacking Mid - biggest issue for me here is that link from midfield to attack, we need a creative player badly here. A shame we aren’t utilizing Özil. Jonathan David transfer fell through to Lille because of 5m euros. We should hijack that deal and then bring in ESR as another option. Of course probably the smartest thing we could do is get Buendia for that role.

Forwards - I woulda said sell Laca but he and Auba are homies and I don’t want to ruin the discord in the team. Think we stand pat on this because Gabi will be like a new signing. We dont have an issue in this area of the pitch.

Out:

Mustafi - 25m
Xhaka - 25m
Kola - 15m

In:

Partey 40m
Buendia 25m
Ceballos 30m

Net spend: 30m

Our team in 2020:

----------------Leno/Emi-------------
AMN----Saliba-----Luiz----Tierney
-------Ceballos------Partey--------
-----------------Buendia----------------
Pepe-----------Auba------Gabi/Saka

Bench: Bellerin, Osei-Tutu, Papa, Mari, Holding, Chambers, Saka, Torreira, Guendo, Willock, Nelson, Özil, ESR, Laca, Eddie

I dunno maybe if we could move a couple doods like Eddie and Nelson on to raise more funds that would be something to look in to.