Who would you like to replace Arsène Wenger?

Whilst I think his football wasn’t as precize and sophisticated as Guardiola’s I think you sell their style and what they did the past 1,5 years a bit short.

decent read

2 Likes

It’s up to the board to make the right appointment and a show of force, ambition and strength.

They are catching a lot of heat from sceptics, and also Wenger loyalists who have now moved on to the ‘blame the board to absolve years of on-pitch shambles’ tactic. Helped no doubt by that £50 mil budget leak.

If a new manager gains big success early on (not in terms of trophies, but just competing and looking like a legit team instead of a meme) then that will be proved as the foolish thought it always was.

1 Like

I actually think Setién’s side have been pretty decent defensively atleast in the second half of this season anyway, especially since they signed Marc Bartra.

Jon Driscoll & Terry Gibson made some good points on La Liga’s podcast last week when they spoke about the way Setién was clearly willing to take the risk that they would concede goals by getting the attack sorted first then worrying about the defence.

Which is something coaches rarely do these days and it’s nice to see.

:smile:

Yes, yes he does.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/988309022389436417

You might be right and I’m probably not giving Jardim the credit he deserves but rightly or wrongly I still can’t help compare his Ligue 1 winning Monaco side to Mourinho’s record breaking Madrid.

I’ve been in that camp for years. For me they are far more responsible for our situation than Arsene.

2 Likes

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/605-Luis-Enrique/page830

Some Barca fans thoughts on Enrique. For those interested

That’s my man!!

that forum is not easy on the eye haha

2 Likes

Tedesco or Nagelsmann (?) Is what I’d like. A younger guy who identifies with the players. No retreads please. Let’s also distance ourselves from the Wenger tree and give the club a new identity

1 Like

I’d be cautiously optimistic about Nagelsmann from what I’ve heard. Sounds like a rich man’s Eddie Howe and god knows I rate German managers well above English managers.

2 Likes

Arsenal negotiator Raul Sanllehi has been in discussions with Luis Enrique over the last few days - talks "have advanced well," according to L'Équipe.

— Get French Football (@GFFN) 26 april 2018

For fucks sake. I do think L’Equipe has some credibility.

I’m afraid the treble clouds people judgement. Messi, Neymar and Suarez scored 122 goals that season…

2 Likes

ohhhhh

1 Like

:tired_face::sob:

These aren’t my preferred targets. I’d be OK with Jardim. Not my first choice, but he’d be my first choice from that list.

I watch more Serie A than La Liga, and Enrique failed there. But that was only one season so don’t want to judge him purely on that. Still, the way some people in the know have spoken about him doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Vieira is a bit of an unknown quantity. I wouldn’t be devastated if we got him, I like a bit of a risk but not sure he’s the right one to take. Who knows?!

And as for Ancelotti. Just fuck off already.

2 Likes

Vieira, ooooh
Vieira, ooooh
He comes from Senegal
He coaches Arsenal

Vieira ooooh
Vieira ooooh
He tastes like creme brulee
Because he’s not Arsene Wenger

1 Like

Jardim the only one I’d be happy enough with out of those 4 options.

4 Likes

From reading that Barca forum, Enrique would bring some discipline or “balls of steel” to the team.

A little concerned at a couple of those bad losses they took in the CL under him. 4-0 to PSG (even though they progressed in the end), 3-0 to Juventus.

Really not sure about him. Plus his salary demands are fucking crazy.

1 Like

He can get to fuck with those salary demands

Hope he takes a pay cut lol. Reading that Barca forum and also earlier posts on here from guys like @A.F @Burgundy and @AbouCuellar I think he is quite underrated because of MSN and his Roma spell (which was his first big managerial gig.)

He will have learnt since then and improved, taken those improvements to Barca.

I’ve come round on him. Certainly a better choice than Arteta or Vieira who are ones for the future imo

1 Like