Are things really looking that bleak?

I feel like the current situation with Arsenal as a whole and challenging for trophies is like when you get that person or kid that is being bullied or hit and you see it and you just want them to hit back, they are being absolutely pounced and you just want them to do something, anything just to stand up for themselves… except they just stand there and take it with no reaction and you just cannot help feel how pathetic the situation is because you just know they don’t have it in them.

2 Likes

All I can say for sure is that this thread is really bleak.:santi:

1 Like

A little less bleaker?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Probably into Bleak Lite or Diet Bleak territory now.

4 Likes

Yeah Im thinking that we will finish in the top 4 now due to the 2 recent additions.

1 Like

Nearly all the clubs at the top have strengthened significantly, we have just about done the bare minimum we should have done.

So considering we only bought a GK last season, which was one of the worst transfer windows we have ever had, even by our poor standards, and taking that and this window together, it has been fairly underwhelming.

Before last season we were desperate for a GK, we needed a top striker and CB and a DM.
What we got was an adequate, if unproven striker at the top level, as well as a very good CB, and a very good player in Xakha.

Over the two windows we have done what we were supposed to have done, except get a world class striker, so it might not be bleak, but we had to wait all this time for players that we should have had ages ago.

3 Likes

On the money.

Mustafi, Xhaka, Perez and Holding is not the bare minimum. This was a solid and good window. I feel a bit underwhelmed by Perez though.

2 Likes

I think things look pretty good. Best window in recent memory - only regret is that it wasn’t all sorted earlier.

Beggars can’t be choosers though! Happy. Also have inkling that Perez might be really good.

3 Likes

Yeah we’ve signed at minimum 2 definite starters who could be here a decade. That can’t be bad.

I judge this transfer window between the 8 and 9/10. With a proven goalscorer better than Lucas, my vote would been 10/10.

I don’t know how you can judge it that high when we still lack a world class striker which is probably the most important thing to have.

yes, but we have a wc winger, a wc advanced playmaker, a wc holding midfielder, a wc defensive playmaker, a wc right back, a wc centre back and a wc goalkeeper.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/media/motion/ESPNi/2016/0827/int_160827_INET_FC_ARSENAL_POST_HIT/int_160827_INET_FC_ARSENAL_POST_HIT.jpg

The only top teams I’d be worried about simply from investment are both the Manc teams. Spurs have had a mediocre window, Chelsea maybe just below par with us.

We’re our own worst enemies though. We have a team littered with talent and WC players but ultimately when shit hits the fan, we tank hard. With two more gutsy players that we’ve added in Xhaka and Pereth, you’d like to think we can handle our game better out on the pitch these days. Time will tell but I’m more positive now we have ShkoCas.

Thiswindow is a failure for that reason. Love the U-turn that everyone has done on that though.

1 Like

Just standard arsenal fan logic, get deprived for so long some are happy as long as we just sign players does not matter who the players are.

2 Likes

U-turn? Some of us weren’t on your putrid side of the argument at any point!

3 Likes

To be fair, I don’t know anyone on this forum that had Perez on their wish llist for our starting striker.
I think most of us thought we would at least get a proven goal scorer, at the highest level, especially after waiting for so long.

1 Like

Certainly not the summer I was hoping for. Deals were done too late for my liking, we’ve already dropped 4 points. On top of that I’m not wholly convinced about the quality of our signings yet.

Either way I still think we’ll be challenging for that 4th spot, and I fancy us to get it.

1 Like